996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

Anybody tracking prices of all 996's ?? I've been observing them for a bit it seems some private sales on carsales are trying to ask more $$$ than dealers are asking,me thinks some people are just being a bit greedy on price.

Low kms minters pushing 70’s. Good cars with moderate kms 50’s. That’s in manual.

low 40’s to mid for a good auto but slow to move.

cabs 30’s and slow to move. 

Thats what I’ve seen. If you have a budget and want a manual Coupe I would hold 50k cash in your hand and in the other your phone with the car sales app updating each 30mins. Even then it’s luck. But yeah 50k with searching hard I reckon you could do. 

I'd say that's pretty accurate, they've definately climbed over the last year about $20k for the really good ones and 10k for the good ones in man C2 coupes. C4S have hit a ceiling. I'd say really good autos are a little bit more than mid 40's but yes slow to move. There is certainly a lack of Carreras ever on sale with the 5 or 6 main factory options one would prefer to have. I've seen hardly any evidence that new buyers optioned up these cars much. This differs hugely from the 997's. As usual in other common models the low -med ks great history well optioned top condition ones sell quick at a decent price. 

1 hour ago, MARTY said:

I think prices have kicked on a bit more than that and trying to source a good manual is virtually impossible maybe people are keeping hold of them now.

Don’t think it is that dire availability wise. Just be patient and ready to act quickly if needed. 

And have you thought about the C4? Seem to be a couple in manual about and I know someone on the forum looked at and even ppi’d the silver one although did not end up going ahead. Can’t remember who though. 

Difference between C2 and C4 is not as great for the 996 as it as for the 964. Only a 50kg weight penalty and typically only sends 5% of power to front wheels. From what I have read most people would not pick the difference under most conditions. I have one and love it, but have never driven a C2 so unfortunately can’t give you a comparison

I did a couple of ppi's on 996's recently which turned out to be a waste of money or then again turned out to have saved me loads of money because the owners turned out to be dishonest with the assessments they gave (bastards)to my questions.As for tips v manuals I am quite happy to have and drive a tip the Minister for War and Finance can drive it in auto it keeps everyone happy I suppose.  

4 minutes ago, TrevMcRev said:

There goes the neighbourhood...

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1998/SSE-AD-5315398/?Cr=5

A lot of money spent. But why a 996 would need a full bare metal respray is a good question....

A lot of money for me,I just don't see the value in that.Is a manual worth $25k-$30k more than a tip in same condition ?? I think the Yorkshire in my wife is rubbing off on me(they don't like spending money).

I think this one is a stretch.  

On one hand, with so much spent mechanically, it could be worth the premium if confident it is future spending saved...

On the other, if the premium is tied to "improvements" like the wheels, lights and other mods etc, then I don't think any of that adds value to the car, and usually detracts over a good standard car.

If this sells quick I'll eat my hat.

23c669f27b2659cd41274b3b3326d2f7--englis

I just need some salsa and guacamole

Ps if you're happy with a Tip, take the savings and run.  

29 minutes ago, TrevMcRev said:

I think this one is a stretch.  

On one hand, with so much spent mechanically, it could be worth the premium if confident it is future spending saved...

On the other, if the premium is tied to "improvements" like the wheels, lights and other mods etc, then I don't think any of that adds value to the car, and usually detracts over a good standard car.

If this sells quick I'll eat my hat.

23c669f27b2659cd41274b3b3326d2f7--englis

I just need some salsa and guacamole

Ps if you're happy with a Tip, take the savings and run.  

He's not only got his hand on it he's got both strangling it! Originality is where the top money is. Has non match numbers, non orig paint, horrible added features all over it - those tail lights blaaaaarghh - oh but it is an urban outlaw! Ok so this falls into a seldom seen category for 996's - shit modified! Only a dude stepping up from street Commodores will buy that and those crap mods only detract from a reasonable price, very few will pay anything for those.

"The total amount spent on this car since 2009 is over $110k - receipts available. I alone have spent over $52k on the car in my ownership without any regrets..." Idiots!! A fool and his money --- and only a fool would pay over $45 

As i was in the market for a while recently i noticed there seemed to be waves, cars would get listed ~40K and then slowly drop over a few months as nothing sold. As they dropped new cars added followed them down so you had 5-6 cars sitting sub 35K. Then 1 sold and the rest followed in a week or so. At the moment i don't see much below $40K in my regular car sales searching and the manual/coupe option is rare. I did the silly thing and purchased the first one inspected, but by picking the time and offering a cash low price, picked up what looks like an insane bargain if carsales current prices are to be believed. Tip/Cab and really enjoy it, the car has two faces 1 in auto is just happy to trundle but tip is a blast. Came with the hardtop and not taken it off and probably wont any time soon.

Only comment is that someone spent 1.5 times the cars value in maintenance? Crackers. 

16 minutes ago, Taffy said:

As i was in the market for a while recently i noticed there seemed to be waves, cars would get listed ~40K and then slowly drop over a few months as nothing sold. As they dropped new cars added followed them down so you had 5-6 cars sitting sub 35K. Then 1 sold and the rest followed in a week or so. At the moment i don't see much below $40K in my regular car sales searching and the manual/coupe option is rare. I did the silly thing and purchased the first one inspected, but by picking the time and offering a cash low price, picked up what looks like an insane bargain if carsales current prices are to be believed. Tip/Cab and really enjoy it, the car has two faces 1 in auto is just happy to trundle but tip is a blast. Came with the hardtop and not taken it off and probably wont any time soon.

Only comment is that someone spent 1.5 times the cars value in maintenance? Crackers. 

I have looked at a few phoned about lots sellers are asking maybe too much at the moment? I think you have to have perfect timing if you want to pick up a car in your favoured colour and it be a manual.As for me I'm happy with a tip like you said Taffy you get the best of both worlds.

Semi stopped watching the market after i bought mine, but kept my alerts on. agree with others generally on price and that it comes in waves. Definitely be patient and check on gumtree as well as carsales.. (some ppl dont bother with carsales)

The 2x996's there for 70k .. personally think they are overpriced, but there isn't any other supply on the market, so maybe they'll find that buyer.. 

(So my super rough, finger in the air, no expert at all type)

The silver is a little rough, if similar to last yrs market plus a little.. i think at <42k it would sell..

the black looks clean, but k's are high. he's firm at 69k so that'll be interesting when there's a similar k 997 black for sale too at the same price.

Anyway my take at it's fair price is probably <55k mark now.

Lorbek had a very low 30k kms 996 for 70k and i actually thought that was a fair price.

2 hours ago, D2000 said:

Was just looking at this one. 

I think this would have been an awesome buy .... looked at it online for a while and didn’t do anything. Now in hindsight .... really like it. This possibly went to a PFA member?

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2001/SSE-AD-5090446

25 minutes ago, Bluegus73 said:

Was just looking at this one. 

I think this would have been an awesome buy .... looked at it online for a while and didn’t do anything. Now in hindsight .... really like it. This possibly went to a PFA member?

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2001/SSE-AD-5090446

First listed at around $75 I think, then lowered a touch, also sure PFA owned

Hey Guys,

I'm a bit of a noob in need of some advice.

I had a 2001 996 inspected a week or so ago. The PPI pulled up a number of age related issues as expected.

It also pulled up the following over speed ignitions:

• 65,517 range 1 ignitions
  • 1,470 range 2 ignitions

I was told that range 1 are not so bad - it's basically bouncing off the rev limiter.

It's range 2 that is problematic. The engine has had 1,470 ignitions beyond red line as I understand it.

Is that walk away territory?

From my Googling, there are 3 ignitions for every 1 engine revolution.

That means the engine did 1470 / 3 = 490 revs above the 7,200 red line.

490 / 7200 = 0.068 minutes = 4.083 seconds. That's assuming it was spinning @ 7200 RPM!?

Are my calculations correct?

It's a low mileage car that hasn't been driven much lately. Cylinder comp came back between 175 and 170.

Thanks for your help.

3 minutes ago, tazzieman said:

Don't you divide by 6?

Sounds like a missed shift.

Some would walk away. But we've all had cars that had a missed shift and lived a long happy life thereafter.

According to this http://www.911virgin.com/porsche/rev-range-information/ there are 3 ignition pulses per engine revolution.

What's scarier - range 2 on a 996 Carrera is > 7900 RPM... Eye watering stuff.

Let me ask a different question.

How many people here would walk away?

How narrow will my market be when I come to sell it?

1 hour ago, KeyboardWarrior77 said:

Hey Guys,

I'm a bit of a noob in need of some advice.

I had a 2001 996 inspected a week or so ago. The PPI pulled up a number of age related issues as expected.

It also pulled up the following over speed ignitions:

• 65,517 range 1 ignitions
  • 1,470 range 2 ignitions

I was told that range 1 are not so bad - it's basically bouncing off the rev limiter.

It's range 2 that is problematic. The engine has had 1,470 ignitions beyond red line as I understand it.

Is that walk away territory?

From my Googling, there are 3 ignitions for every 1 engine revolution.

That means the engine did 1470 / 3 = 490 revs above the 7,200 red line.

490 / 7200 = 0.068 minutes = 4.083 seconds. That's assuming it was spinning @ 7200 RPM!?

Are my calculations correct?

It's a low mileage car that hasn't been driven much lately. Cylinder comp came back between 175 and 170.

Thanks for your help.

When was the most recent type 2 overrev? If within 50hrs, I’d walk. When I bought my 997 the disclaimer from a reputable workshop was that the engine would be perfectly safe at 500hrs post type 2. 

If the overrev was recent use that as leverage given the risk...

I walked from a 996tt with a type 2 within 4hrs of ppi. Regretted it as soon as it sold to the next guy 2 weeks later as it was an excellent example. 

If you put enough time into the engine and it survives then you should be fine selling it on. 

You are right re the 3/rev. Obviously 2 revs/cycle in 4 stroke engine, my bad!

Yes if engine has survived 50 hrs (completely arbitrary figure let's face it) it should be OK.

How many Ks on the engine? Compression check measures one thing but not other wear aspects.

Very difficult to compare one engine's life with another without very detailed records and honest owners.

We're all honest right? "Never tracked" and all that? Elderly revhead owner?

Porsches are bulletproof aren't they?