996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

7 hours ago, disco said:

This example and it's super fast sale is quite eye opening to be honest.

Granted it was a great looking car and very well executed by all accounts, but it was hardly fodder for the purist.

It was a retro theme with non standard colour, wheels, trim and update front end. Essentially a '98 C2 Coupe with stock 3.4 and 207000 kms.

Am I missing something here with the asking being mid 60's and the car being snapped up in record time?

All the best to the seller/buyer... if they're happy then that's all that counts I suppose.

Cheers,

Dave.

Assuming this was a full respray - the amount and quality of work to make it look like that couldn't be repeated at that price point.

As for the high mileage, the engine will be rebuilt at some point and the suspension will be upgraded if it hasn't been already.

1 hour ago, KeyboardWarrior77 said:

Assuming this was a full respray - the amount and quality of work to make it look like that couldn't be repeated at that price point.

As for the high mileage, the engine will be rebuilt at some point and the suspension will be upgraded if it hasn't been already.

Glass out respray, no areas showing the original blue. I used to work in a panel shop, so I tend to pick on paint work. Paint alone for a job like this is shy on $20k.

Suspension, adjustable coil overs.

Engine, orig engine, full service history and cold start no rattle, no smoke. No need to rebuild until it’s tired. 

Value for money? Well let’s look at what else sold recently and the prices. Yes all manuals are over priced. Tips are the price the manuals should be. But the market has gone nuts.  Will it keep going? Who knows. 

If you want a daily driver, then the mileage might deter you. But most for sale or sold are 130k or so, so it’s above average.

if it’s a weekend car, then that 200k  odo will be matched by the others in 5 years. 

As it was once said before. It can be reversed. A standard bumper and standard engine cover and another $20k paint. So when (if) they are fetching 1973 Airhead prices, then you may choose to please the purists. 

But guess what? It’s a 996. 996 are not purists cars. A 911 SC is a purist car. 

Do you own a Porsche because it’s quality and never fails and is flawless? Or do you own one, becuse it’s beautiful and it makes people look and some love the envy of others.

i own bikes as well, do you think I love the fact I get ignored on my Honda tourer? Or do I love the noisy bright red Ducati 1198SBK that scares small animals and children? Sure that 180hp 170kg bike scares me, but life is about living. And to be honest. I don’t give a flying fig if the purists don’t like a custom 996, they are not the ones driving it. 

But I can tell you this. Park any stock 996 in any trim (excluding GT2) in row and then drop this blue beauty in and see what gets more attention. Might be why I have a curvy redhead missus. Lol. 

I thank the purists thou, they keep their cars perfect and it’s a reflection of what they were like when they were new 20 years ago. 

If I look in my collection of cars and bikes I have nothing vanilla. Everything is different. There is no commodores or CBR1000 bikes. There is cars that people ask about. I’m no show pony. In fact I’m an introvert. I live in the bush and I like no neighbours. Yes I like toys that others notice, but happy to not talk to them. 

Don’t ever drive an old Kombi around Australia if you don’t want attention. That blew me away how often I had to stop and chat. 

Continue with your observations. It’s how we all get feedback on others cars.

A real estate lady once said to me. There are people that go on their yachts every weekend and those that look for the perfect house. 

How many here are still looking for that perfect car, but are at the point where they can’t afford it now as the market has pushed the price up of the manuals? I started looking with $40k budget. It got pushed to $70k last week when I saw the Manuals dry up.

i hope they keep climbing as they then are an investment. But I also would like them to fall $20-30k so others can afford one 

Rant over :) 

9 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

I saw about 55 in it , who knows may have sold at that hahaha, nah not that quick, who knows what he got. Maybe just the right guy waiting to buy a very nice custom like that

That would have been my take on it too, but it did look nice......

On Saturday, March 24, 2018 at 3:54 AM, Pokiou said:

Nice one @Clarkie that would have taken me a week to write,my take on it is if you see the right car just pull the trigger and buy it.It might be a gamble but so is life like you said while people are waiting for the perfect car prices keep pushing up.I bought my last 2 cars without ppi's like i said you run the risk of having to spend $$ on them but so far so good.

Hi Clarkie,

First of all congrats on the purchase, you seem to do your due diligence and I'm sure you have justified the purchase.

Fundamentally I don't disagree with what you are saying - i.e that prices seem to be going up and procrastination can see buyers miss out.

My point on the surprise on this sale was that up until very recently, discussion centred on matching numbers, a missed service, engine revs, a cracked trim piece....etc on cars out there that were (incidentally) lower priced, later year model and lower mileage than this blue custom. Then this blue beauty surfaces for what is basically a 98 C2 with 207Kms and the price is completely justified. That is by virtue of the fact that there is a high level quality of work put into a non factory finish & custom 911.

Sure you may consider the 996 to not be a purist car, however the recent talk and various opinions on these here pages would have you thinking otherwise. Also with values now climbing where this example is snapped up at $65K, then possibly the 'window of time' that 996's are just ho-hum and not for the puritanical may be a short one.

End of the day enjoy your acquisition and no need to justify your purchase. The best of luck with it as it's truly a loving looking car. If that's what you want then sure, hell.....life is too short to worry about this stuff.

My comments were just observations and opinion based on recent market value talk.

Cheers,

Dave.

12 minutes ago, disco said:

Hi Clarkie,

First of all congrats on the purchase, you seem to do your due diligence and I'm sure you have justified the purchase.

Fundamentally I don't disagree with what you are saying - i.e that prices seem to be going up and procrastination can see buyers miss out.

My point on the surprise on this sale was that up until very recently, discussion centred on matching numbers, a missed service, engine revs, a cracked trim piece....etc on cars out there that were (incidentally) lower priced, later year model and lower mileage than this blue custom. Then this blue beauty surfaces for what is basically a 98 C2 with 207Kms and the price is completely justified. That is by virtue of the fact that there is a high level quality of work put into a non factory finish & custom 911.

Sure you may consider the 996 to not be a purist car, however the recent talk and various opinions on these here pages would have you thinking otherwise. Also with values now climbing where this example is snapped up at $65K, then possibly the 'window of time' that 996's are just ho-hum and not for the puritanical may be a short one.

End of the day enjoy your acquisition and no need to justify your purchase. The best of luck with it as it's truly a loving looking car. If that's what you want then sure, hell.....life is too short to worry about this stuff.

My comments were just observations and opinion based on recent market value talk.

Cheers,

Dave.

Dave, my little rant was not based on your comment. Your comments are justified. To be honest at $65k it was an expensive car. But not saying that I’ve payed that and David and I have a gentlemen’s agreement on the transaction. 

Will be finalised asap. 

Ive bought from David before. 911 and 944 parts. 

Anyhow when it happens, I’ll show it off. ;) 

the purists want matching numbers, they want originality. And I’m no purist. Lol. 

Just now, Clarkie said:

Dave, my little rant was not based on your comment. Your comments are justified. To be honest at $65k it was an expensive car. But not saying that I’ve payed that and David and I have a gentlemen’s agreement on the transaction. 

Will be finalised asap. 

Ive bought from David before. 911 and 944 parts. 

Anyhow when it happens, I’ll show it off. ;) 

the purists want matching numbers, they want originality. And I’m no purist. Lol. 

Hi Clarkie,

Glad you didn't see anything negative in what I wanted to say mate. It wasn't my intention at all.

Like I said I think it's a great looking car and the quality is something else from what I can observe. I guess the fact that there really has been nothing out there that looks or has been built like this can justify the quick purchase/asking.

Good luck with it and enjoy the journey mate.

Cheers,

Dave.

12 minutes ago, disco said:

Hi Clarkie,

Glad you didn't see anything negative in what I wanted to say mate. It wasn't my intention at all.

Like I said I think it's a great looking car and the quality is something else from what I can observe. I guess the fact that there really has been nothing out there that looks or has been built like this can justify the quick purchase/asking.

Good luck with it and enjoy the journey mate.

Cheers,

Dave.

Thank you, and it seems the Boxster is finding a new home also. 

Congrats @Clarkie.

Blue beastie presents as unique and as per your description sounds like a good bargain given the amount of time and effort that went into making it.

Anything with a hounds tooth interior gets a big tick as far as I am concerned, and this transaction looks like a good deal between mates.

53 minutes ago, disco said:

That depends on how the car is being sold Dave.

If a seller is trying to extract maximum cash by selling to purists, they need to put up with the bullshit that comes with the price. Holding onto a car and polishing it does not take as much time, effort & money as restomoding something like this. Ultimately, value is in the eye of the beholder.

Looks like the Targa in Brisbane has sold too.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-2003/SSE-AD-5412720

So considering the latest sales, and the current supply on the market, where do people here see the order of 996's from least desirable to most?

Targa's, carbrio's, coupes, man vs tip, .1 or .2, colour - trim and any desirable options? Also what mileage is ideal? It seems there's consensus that too high or too low is not desirable?

Opinions?

Cheers,

Dave.

24 minutes ago, disco said:

So considering the latest sales, and the current supply on the market, where do people here see the order of 996's from least desirable to most?

Targa's, carbrio's, coupes, man vs tip, .1 or .2, colour - trim and any desirable options? Also what mileage is ideal? It seems there's consensus that too high or too low is not desirable?

Opinions?

Cheers,

Dave.

A wild stab at it...

0.1 Cab tip has to be the bottom (i have one so no offence to anyone) (35K+)

0.2 Cab tip (40K+)

0.1 coupe tip (40-45K +)

0.1 Cab manual (40-45K+)

0.2 Targa Tip (55K+ but not seen many)

0.2 Cab manual (55-65K+)

0.2 Coupe tip (50K+)

0.2 Targa manual (Not really seen many...)

0.1 coupe manual (60K+)

0.2 coupe manual (65-70K+)

I am sure those who watch more closely then i will fix some of these...

@Clarkie

Awesome buy, that car looks pretty amazing and i would love to have it in my garage.

9 minutes ago, Taffy said:

A wild stab at it...

0.2 Cab tip (40K+)

0.1 coupe tip (40-45K +)

0.1 Cab manual (40-45K+)

0.2 Cab manual (55-65K+)

0.2 Coupe tip (50K+)

0.1 coupe manual (60K+)

@Clarkie

Awesome buy, that car looks pretty amazing and i would love to have it in my garage.

Awesome insight Taffy, good to understand where the market is at now.

I'm along your lines however maybe Cabrio's are more sought after than Targa's? Targa glass can be wickedly expensive to fix I hear.

Also rare colours may be more desirable? Hell knows there's a plethora of silver lol! 

Cheers,

Dave.

I's agree with that @Taffy good analysis

As for kms it seems to be all over the place but the average from what i've seen is about 120k

Actually if anyone's sold a 996 on carsales recently they usually provide a sales price matrix vs kms, I have a few at home from about 5 years ago.

29 minutes ago, disco said:

Also rare colours may be more desirable?

No was my answer before and then that blue one sold really quick.

So i guess it now, no unless it looks awesomely different....

30 minutes ago, disco said:

maybe Cabrio's are more sought after than Targa's? Targa

I would pick a Targa over a Cab for the angle of the rear seats... But i do seem to hear that comment a lot that they are expensive to fix. Weld it shut?

1 hour ago, Taffy said:

A wild stab at it...

0.2 Cab tip (40K+)

0.1 coupe tip (40-45K +)

0.1 Cab manual (40-45K+)

0.2 Cab manual (55-65K+)

0.2 Coupe tip (50K+)

0.1 coupe manual (60K+)

@Clarkie

Agree with @dan_189, that's pretty spot on I reckon, and matches my thinking for sure

996 not a purist car.... from what aspect is it not a purist car? Because it's engine is not aircooled? sorry Clarke but i dont agree with some of your points. A 911 SC is not a purist car to someone who ones a 76 rsr or a someone who owns a turbo or something who ones a 356... that purist argument is just invalid dude and it's subjective. Most of the other stuff i agree with, but not he price point. I don't want the prices to drop. I don't want everyone to be able to buy a porsche. All that does is open the market to those who can buy one but not maintain it and at the end of the day dead useless cars discarded cars that people thing that all Porsche's are expensive to maintain... which isn't the case.

The reason the 996 has gone up in the manual coupe version is due the fact that they are pretty much a top end car with a low end cost and were undersold by the aircooled mob for a long time as not being a good Porsche which turned out pretty much wrong. 

Anyways power to the Watercooled guys and even more the 996 cars as they are now getting the well deserved recognition they deserve.

7 minutes ago, LeeM said:

@Clarkie

MATE! That was THE best 'rant' of the century, and it was like you were reading my mind. Rock on mate, that was f.....g awesome. Enjoy the 996 (bastard), yet if you ever feel you want to swap for a ghetto backdated SC, let me know ?

When I was a young whipper snappers I always wanted a 911. In my 30’s I seriously looked and the SC was the pick. Injected and the power to weight. I also Nearly bought a 968CS. I woke up and bought another house and foolishly got married again. Ha ha. 

Some decade later I bought a 914 then another. Then another. Then another. Then sold them off and made a few quid along the way. Family sold my mums 944 off and my Brother bought a 911 SC. I was Porkless. So when a Poxster popped up at the right price, I bought it. Best freaking sports car I’ve owned. Fast (ish) and handles awesome. Cheap cars and bang for buck you can’t pass them. 

When I was on holiday not long back and having a blast in tassie I started thinking about Aircooled again. Then I woke up and realised they are awesome to look at, but AC sux, heaters Suck and the pedals and steering wheel is like the 914 and not where it should be. Plus Doc Martens are not porsche shoes. 

Kids sook that I can’t take them in the Boxster (smart move I think) so I started looking at 996, meh it’s only money and we only live once and work pays ok. Pushing supermarket trolleys for a living is ok :) so I bit the bullet. 

Sadly selling the Boxster is not what I wanted. I wanted 2 money pits. Selling the VW T3 Syncro is ok, can live with that. I even thought of selling a bike or 2. Then I slapped myself. A man needs 13 bikes. Actually the formula for cars and bikes is N=N+1 n being number of current vehicles you own. Don’t ask me how many Swedish coupes I have either. Lol. At least they are coupes and not Cabs. 

Brings me to a point. How many car manufactures make a cab that is beautiful with the roof up and down? Boxsters look meh with the roof up, but down they look great. That fat ass makes them. 

6 hours ago, Clarkie said:

Actually the formula for cars and bikes is N=N+1 n being number of current vehicles you own.

^^^ this!! 

Same goes for shed space... How big a shed do you need?  1 more space than you have (always... ad infinitum) ?