996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

Those records somewhat line up with the recommendations of the time, 20,000kms or 2 years.

https://porschelangley.com/images/dealer_images/448/uploads/Maintenance_Intervals.pdf

Crazy as it is, it was a selling point to have long service intervals.

So it's got a new engine, that's good treat it well to me it's an upgrade. 

10 hours ago, iluvbrownale said:

Help me out here fellas. The service history of this car is odd

2005 22kms
9/07 42kms
12/08 51kms new engine
12/09 54kms
12/10 57kms
10/13 67kms
11/14 70kms
12/15 78kms
7/16 80kms
4/18 86kms

So it seems to have gone its first 3 years without a service (is that why there was a new engine?!), then two years without 2005-07 and again 2010-13 no service and even a missing one in 2017. The last 5 were at Autohaus and before that Porsche Sydney.

Am I missing something? Given the new engine at 50kms should I care?

That service record looks good.

I believe the first service was scheduled at 20,000 kms. Like the @dan_189 said, it was a "selling point" at the time.

The current owner did not skimp on service that's for sure. Being looked after by AH, I can't imagine it will need much mechanically. The big issues are often when these cars sit unused for years. Again given it was serviced by AH regularly so all good there.

I'd be interested to know why the engine was swapped out at 50,000 kms though?

Other than IMS, I don't know of any other design faults that would lead to a replacement of an M96.

I reckon go for it, and bargain hard on account of the engine swap. You can bet the current owner did when he/she bought it.

3 minutes ago, KeyboardWarrior77 said:

That service record looks good.

I believe the first service was scheduled at 20,000 kms. Like the @dan_189 said, it was a "selling point" at the time.

The current owner did not skimp on service that's for sure. Being looked after by AH, I can't imagine it will need much mechanically. The big issues are often when these cars sit unused for years. Again given it was serviced by AH regularly so all good there.

I'd be interested to know why the engine was swapped out at 50,000 kms though?

Other than IMS, I don't know of any other design faults that would lead to a replacement of an M96.

I reckon go for it, and bargain hard on account of the engine swap. You can bet the current owner did when he/she bought it.

+1

Definitely go for it. 

As for why the engine was swapped... 

My bet aside from IMS failure is scored bores/the infamous ticking noise.

Lookup the M96 'modes of failure' but don't shy away they are still great cars! 

The 996 i got had its engine replaced ~ 80K ago for an IMS failure. Turned up during PPI but they noted i got lucky as its got an upgraded IMS as a result.

Also found that mine had a damaged nose, all porsche parts replaced. PPI noted if not for the new paint they would not have been able to tell. 

Did use the entire PPI as bargaining points though... If your handy with a spanner some big $ savings to be made for a few hours work when you get it.

The 996 i got had its engine replaced ~ 80K ago for an IMS failure. Turned up during PPI but they noted i got lucky as its got an upgraded IMS as a result.
Also found that mine had a damaged nose, all porsche parts replaced. PPI noted if not for the new paint they would not have been able to tell. 
Did use the entire PPI as bargaining points though... If your handy with a spanner some big $ savings to be made for a few hours work when you get it.

I couldn’t be less handy with a spanner....I could bugger up hammering a nail in.

15 minutes ago, Taffy said:

Great result! 

As they get older the 996 will require more attention although there is plenty of info from the most basic jobs to entire engine rebuilds!

If you're not handy send it to the dealer and they give you a coffee and a taxi to and from :D or buy @Francois @Pokiou and me lunch and we could do it** for you, we're experts now :DWe may need to adjust our pricing structure to include beer... 

** "It" solely refers to 996/7 model cars and jobs limited to serpentine belt, alternator, starter and starter cable replacement

50 minutes ago, dan_189 said:

Great result! 

As they get older the 996 will require more attention although there is plenty of info from the most basic jobs to entire engine rebuilds!

If you're not handy send it to the dealer and they give you a coffee and a taxi to and from :D or buy @Francois @Pokiou and me lunch and we could do it** for you, we're experts now :DWe may need to adjust our pricing structure to include beer... 

** "It" solely refers to 996/7 model cars and jobs limited to serpentine belt, alternator, starter and starter cable replacement

A beer and a McDonald's  you two can work on my car anytime hell i might even buy you two beers each

7 minutes ago, Taffy said:

Spanner handy option: https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1999/SSE-AD-5387701/?Cr=0

Though the clam looks off, guess its got a broken hinge. Also has a job for @dan_189 for a battery/alternator issue.

Might need more than that unfortunately! 

Battery is probably dead from age or not being used. At that price being an automatic - its not a "bargain" IMO. It looks like its had a very hard life post purchase, bit sad really.

32 minutes ago, dan_189 said:

Might need more than that unfortunately! 

Battery is probably dead from age or not being used. At that price being an automatic - its not a "bargain" IMO. It looks like its had a very hard life post purchase, bit sad really.

+1 Agree...you pay for what you get!

Cheers,

Dave.

47 minutes ago, Taffy said:

Spanner handy option: https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1999/SSE-AD-5387701/?Cr=0

Though the clam looks off, guess its got a broken hinge. Also has a job for @dan_189 for a battery/alternator issue.

it looks like its lived a hard life