996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

12 minutes ago, DT said:

Hmmm, thinking about that 20k price difference and the relative 'flood' of tips on the market, wonder how much it would cost to convert a tip to a manual. Has it been done before on a 996...or are we only just reaching the point where it might be viable...?

Someone in QLD did it on a 996 C2 and added a VF supercharger as well. Basically needed a damaged manual donor car to complete the swap. It would likely cost you the difference to convert when taking into account parts + labour. All bets off if you did the work yourself. 

In the old days when everything was purely mechanical AT to MT swaps were "relatively" straight forward.

With the number of DMEs and various computers that need to speak to each other, you need a serious budget and the technical know how (or access to people with it) to be able to get all the bits working smoothly.

Just not worth the headache IMO.

3 hours ago, quasio said:

yeah it's abit tough for ole tippy's.. I assume that the shoppers that want the "involved" drive wouldn't cross shop a manual vs tip, 

They'd go for 996 manuals at that price, and if they can't do it, then try cayman and boxster manuals at lower prices.

I mean even C4, and cabs (even if manual) are unloved a little.. 

Except C4s, which I personally don't understand the premium for the C4S.

And not forgetting the most important part would be how much your budget is to spend in the first place,i would far rather drive a tippy than nothing at all thats why we love the brand but of course if money was no object we would all be driving around in 959's.Its been said on this page before the 996 is  great to drive and value for money at the moment in either tippy form  or manual.

The headaches involved in selling it in future on account of that engine swap are not reflected in the current price.

It needs an IMS bearing too. Maybe AH can do something there.

A different question to ask is: what price would make those sitting on the fence go for it?

Who wants to go first?

8 hours ago, KeyboardWarrior77 said:

The headaches involved in selling it in future on account of that engine swap are not reflected in the current price.

It needs an IMS bearing too. Maybe AH can do something there.

A different question to ask is: what price would make those sitting on the fence go for it?

Who wants to go first?

I personally disagree it warrants a discount because of a replacement engine (if it has been documented and replaced by Porsche) - that's just my opinion. In fact it would have received the latest version of all the engine parts - which is a plus.

Being 80k - 2003 model - silver on black - price is right to me, maybe there is more to the story...

45 minutes ago, dan_189 said:

I personally disagree it warrants a discount because of a replacement engine (if it has been documented and replaced by Porsche) - that's just my opinion. In fact it would have received the latest version of all the engine parts - which is a plus.

Being 80k - 2003 model - silver on black - price is right to me, maybe there is more to the story...

Seems to me that the price is already a bit of a discount.  I would expect if it was original engine AH would and should ask for more

2 hours ago, dan_189 said:

I agree with Dan.  If AH had this car there at the same time I purchased my 996.2 tip from them before Christmas, I would most likely have ponied up the extra coin for the manual, even though it would have been above my budget.  Scott had said at the time a manual usually carries a $5-$10k premium over a tip, so my car would have been advertised at $60-$65k if it was a manual.  Certainly a replacement engine by Porsche with supporting documentation wouldn't have deterred me.

The Autohaus Porsche is priced correctly for it's engine replacement. I mean how hard do you want to go on 15-20 year old cars?

No doubt the first viewer who isn't a time waster will be bagging themselves (what appears to be) a fine looking example.

Cheers,

David

2 minutes ago, disco said:

The Autohaus Porsche is priced correctly for it's engine replacement. I mean how hard do you want to go on 15-20 year old cars?

No doubt the first viewer who isn't a time waster will be bagging themselves (what appears to be) a fine looking example.

Cheers,

David

Did you end up hanging onto your MK1 Aero?

1 minute ago, dan_189 said:

Good choice B)

Thanks mate, end of the day I think these cars are awesome value for what they are. Compare these to air cooled 993's in the same condition and kms and any 996 under $80K is a bargain.

Cheers,

Dave.

2 hours ago, dan_189 said:

Agree with Dan too, the replacement engine is a bonus...thought I read on rennlist that replacement 996 engines of that era (2007ish onwards) came with the bigger single IMSB as on the 997 of that era...? Worth looking into anyway. Either way it looks like a very nice example and bang on price-wise IMO. Compared to a similar condition 997S at 100k it's a bargain...the power to weight difference is so negligible it seems the only reason you'd buy an 997S over a 996 is aesthetic preference.

25 minutes ago, DT said:

Agree with Dan too, the replacement engine is a bonus...thought I read on rennlist that replacement 996 engines of that era (2007ish onwards) came with the bigger single IMSB as on the 997 of that era...? Worth looking into anyway. Either way it looks like a very nice example and bang on price-wise IMO. Compared to a similar condition 997S at 100k it's a bargain...the power to weight difference is so negligible it seems the only reason you'd buy an 997S over a 996 is aesthetic preference.

Was actually going to write that it might have the larger IMSB but it causes too much controversy and the only way to check is to drop the trans.

Over in the US/Rennlist you are correct they often report replacement M96s have the larger non-serviceable (I.e. case split to replace only) bearing. 

57 minutes ago, dan_189 said:

Was actually going to write that it might have the larger IMSB but it causes too much controversy and the only way to check is to drop the trans.

Over in the US/Rennlist you are correct they often report replacement M96s have the larger non-serviceable (I.e. case split to replace only) bearing. 

I was told by the guys in Brisbane who did my PPI that they can check by using an inspection camera which bearing is installed. Told that mine had this with its replacement engine.

For some reason I just don’t see the matching numbers question being the same for a 996. You surely buy one to drive it?

1 minute ago, Taffy said:

I was told by the guys in Brisbane who did my PPI that they can check by using an inspection camera which bearing is installed. Told that mine had this with its replacement engine.

For some reason I just don’t see the matching numbers question being the same for a 996. You surely buy one to drive it?

I've read that too, basically you need to undo all the transmission bolts and create a gap between the engine and gearbox before you can insert a workshop camera in the crack to view the bearing.

At which point IMO you might as well drop the transmission to look for other wear if you own the car... as you're only a slave cylinder removal away from dropping it.

3 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

Why is 996 suddenly excluded from the matching numbers premium that applies to nearly all Porsche sports cars and or collector cars??

IMO it's just this one, the engines been replaced by a factory Porsche engine by Porsche with documentation :huh: if it was a wrecker engine done by Joe blow motors different story. 

30 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

Why is 996 suddenly excluded from the matching numbers premium that applies to nearly all Porsche sports cars and or collector cars??

I wouldn't say this one is, the point being that at $59K it takes into account the non original engine. I believe this point alone has contributed to the car being some $10K under it's true market value.

Matching numbers is always a premium and desired.

Cheers,

Dave. 

33 minutes ago, dan_189 said:

IMO it's just this one, the engines been replaced by a factory Porsche engine by Porsche with documentation :huh: if it was a wrecker engine done by Joe blow motors different story. 

By the discussion going on here, this car would sell well to a buyer already familiar and comfortable with all the issues of the 996. And that is good to see. This is after all a forum for owners of 996s. If people here don't see the value in it, who would?

Given where 996s are at the moment price wise (ignoring the undeserved stigma), they are largely attracting buyers who may not be all that familiar with them or Porsche ownership per se. How many people are on their 2nd 996 though?

All I am saying is an engine swap will put a decent percentage of newbies off. That's a reduction of people bidding its price up. No different to a car that has had some crash damage, silly mods, over revs or similar.

And when it comes time to move it on in the future,  the collectors and OCD types will turn their nose up at it on account of the engine swap. The guys that will track it or modify it will not really care. The people who have owned 996s in the past won't care.

I imagine the first cohort make a decent percentage of the market at the moment and into the near / medium term. The number of potential buyers on their 2nd or 3rd 996 who would value this is on par with an numbers matching example are not a critical mass... Yet.

With that said, everything has its price. Then again, for all we know it might have already sold.

Here’s another engine swap for price comparison ... ‘possibly’ with slightly lesser providence than a swap at PCS :lol: ...

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/carrara/cars-vans-utes/porsche-911-6-speed-manual-3-6-litre-6-cylinder-non-turbo-996/1177154589

In all seriousness though, I worry this is how it will look if you’re a private seller one day in the future...I think you’d have to trade it back to Autohaus for anyone to trust it...