996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

1 hour ago, KeyboardWarrior77 said:

This popped up over the weekend. It's down in Bowral (about 90 min out of Sydney).

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2004/OAG-AD-15896472/

At 15,000km, it probably still has the new car smell.

Sad that it's only driven that far.  Suspect there may be a few issues to sort out with such few Kms over this period of time.  I know all about the niggling things that occur from even a couple of years of little use.....

22 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Sad that it's only driven that far.  Suspect there may be a few issues to sort out with such few Kms over this period of time.  I know all about the niggling things that occur from even a couple of years of little use.....

I'd concur with this diagnosis, water pump, AOS, coolant tank, suspension rubber etc. In saying that it could also go the other way and give the new owner hassle free ownership for a substantial period and it has an IMS retrofit...  

It needs new tyres though IMO "ORIGINAL TYRES" is not a selling point, its dangerous to be driving on 14 year old rubber

10 minutes ago, dan_189 said:

and it has an IMS retrofit...  

I must be blind? I have re-read the ad and cannot see this. Am I missing something?

BTW: I too would be anxious of the low k's for the reasons given!!

Just now, P-Kay said:

I must be blind? I have re-read the ad and cannot see this. Am I missing something?

BTW: I too would be anxious of the low k's for the reasons given!!

They surprisingly haven't included it in the ad... However the sticker is there in the service book (IMSR21865) - IntermediateShaftRetrofit then the serial number. Each LN Retrofit comes with two of those stickers.

7dbdb7da74cff5ea96cc37d7a3d580c4.jpg

How to sell a car 101! Not drive or maintain it for a year and when you sell it show a pic of it before you got it to say how good it can look!! :wacko:

Some people should not be allowed to have nice things!!

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1999/SSE-AD-5387701/?Cr=0

"I have added photos to the add from when I purchased the car from Weltmeister, so you can see what a little clean can result in." FFS!!

6 minutes ago, ANF said:

How to sell a car 101! Not drive or maintain it for a year and when you sell it show a pic of it before you got it to say how good it can look!! :wacko:

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1999/SSE-AD-5387701/?Cr=0

"I have added photos to the add from when I purchased the car from Weltmeister, so you can see what a little clean can result in." FFS!!

Hope he sorted out the gap on the driver's side of the clamshell too...

On 4/23/2018 at 11:22 AM, ANF said:

wowsers.. sad to see that car in such a state..

is that radio screen smashed (how you do that in car is beyond me)..

also spotted a cheap obd device sitting in the passengers seat.. and a dent in the front bumper.

also saw that autohaus example.. for me.. seems like a very good realistic price for that example in the current market.

I have a saved Carsales search for manual 996’s but today took a dip into the tips on offer and there are some real bargains there! ~ $20k difference to a manual ... I guess this is what happens when at this age they are more likely to be a “weekend” car than a daily and the convenience of an auto in day to day traffic isn’t a benefit? I do t remember the gap being this big in the past for the 996 but might be wrong. 

46 minutes ago, JWM said:

I have a saved Carsales search for manual 996’s but today took a dip into the tips on offer and there are some real bargains there! ~ $20k difference to a manual ... I guess this is what happens when at this age they are more likely to be a “weekend” car than a daily and the convenience of an auto in day to day traffic isn’t a benefit? I do t remember the gap being this big in the past for the 996 but might be wrong. 

A good mate of mine just bought a 996.2 C2 Tip......he loves it.

It's a weekend car, but value for money it's pretty good.

Cheers,

Geoff.

2 hours ago, dan_189 said:

The tip is slightly slower than the manual according to the sales brochure too

http://www.weissach.net/996-997_RoadTestSummary.html

Road tests confirmed that it was not some strange marketing thing. 5 vs 5.4 is not too bad, 4.6 is an outlier in the range so would probably ignore.

3.4 manual coupe: (4.6-5.0)

3.4 manual Cab: (4.8-5.0)

3.4 Manual Coupe 4: (5.0-5.1)

3.4 Tip Cab:  (5.4-5.5)

3.4 Manual Cab 4 (5.6) - only 1 result but adding ~400lbs has to do something.

At those numbers i will guess its manual tip mode as auto is a slug. 

3 hours ago, JWM said:

same thing is happening with the 997. 

17 hours ago, dan_189 said:

About 4 years ago when I was looking the gap was about 10k (tip vs manual). 

The tip is slightly slower than the manual according to the sales brochure too, there's your 20k haha ? 

Not sure if just comes down to what is faster btw man or tip, but more the style of driving both offer. Manuals have in the past always seemed more popular and desirable based on the fact they offer a sportier and more involving drive.

The tip I guess offers both comfort and performance, but depends how involved you want to be.

Cheers,

Dave.

14 hours ago, Taffy said:

http://www.weissach.net/996-997_RoadTestSummary.html

Road tests confirmed that it was not some strange marketing thing. 5 vs 5.4 is not too bad, 4.6 is an outlier in the range so would probably ignore.

3.4 manual coupe: (4.6-5.0)

3.4 manual Cab: (4.8-5.0)

3.4 Manual Coupe 4: (5.0-5.1)

3.4 Tip Cab:  (5.4-5.5)

3.4 Manual Cab 4 (5.6) - only 1 result but adding ~400lbs has to do something.

At those numbers i will guess its manual tip mode as auto is a slug. 

The manual may accelerate faster to 100 km/h but point to point there would be little if anything in it. Also much easier to get consistent acceleration times with an auto over a manual. Horses for courses and each to their own, I would choose an auto so keep talking them down :D

The auto in the 996 is (in the series 1 cars) the Merc adaptive one that has pretty much unlimited modes that adapts to how you drive, full auto and full throttle should be the quickest accelerating.....

As one of the other lads said, the autos were aimed at the daily driver market who had to contend with traffic. Once these cars get beyond a certain age, they are mostly weekend toys - I imagine most buyers want the purist / most involving drive.

Couple the above with the fact Porsche sold a lot less manuals and you get the perfect storm of limited supply meeting greater demand.

It's funny how the cheapest variants (manual C2 coupes) often end up being the most expensive in the long term.

yeah it's abit tough for ole tippy's.. I assume that the shoppers that want the "involved" drive wouldn't cross shop a manual vs tip, 

They'd go for 996 manuals at that price, and if they can't do it, then try cayman and boxster manuals at lower prices.

I mean even C4, and cabs (even if manual) are unloved a little.. 

Except C4s, which I personally don't understand the premium for the C4S.

20 hours ago, JWM said:

Hmmm, thinking about that 20k price difference and the relative 'flood' of tips on the market, wonder how much it would cost to convert a tip to a manual. Has it been done before on a 996...or are we only just reaching the point where it might be viable...?