What do folks here think of the 993 as an investment?

911virgin

Not an investment. No more "investment" favour than most postmid 70's AC. Better car than some other AC models in many ways but I believe some think it sits in a bit of a no man's land compared to "911's" with traditional 911 guards and headlights

real cars!  :)

16 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

Not an investment. No more "investment" favour than most postmid 70's AC. Better car than some other AC models in many ways but I believe some think it sits in a bit of a no man's land compared to "911's" with traditional 911 guards and headlights

what about a 1974 sportomatic 911 - would this be a better investment?

2 minutes ago, 911virgin said:

real cars!  :)

what about a 1974 sportomatic 911 - would this be a better investment?

Neither are an investment. If you are meaning a car that holds it's purchase price or increases on that, well it all depends on what you pay for a 993 in all it's variations and what you pay for a '74 sporto - and if the market holds, takes a hit or rises

The air cooled cars have had such an amazing run over the past 5-8 years that I can't see big value increases in the short-medium term.  I'd be reasonably confident that a good quality air cooled Porsche will hold its value, but I wouldn't buy one to try and make a buck . . . that game has already happened.

20 minutes ago, npvpositive said:

The air cooled cars have had such an amazing run over the past 5-8 years that I can't see big value increases in the short-medium term.  I'd be reasonably confident that a good quality air cooled Porsche will hold its value, but I wouldn't buy one to try and make a buck . . . that game has already happened.

Spot on - that horse already bolted

The last time I was told "the horse has bolted" was when I decided not to buy a 993 GT2 for GBP120,000. 

Buying a car just as an investment is only for the super rich who have a diverse portfolio. For the rest of us, buy the car you want and if it goes up. lucky you.

5 minutes ago, SimonN said:

The last time I was told "the horse has bolted" was when I decided not to buy a 993 GT2 for GBP120,000. 

Buying a car just as an investment is only for the super rich who have a diverse portfolio. For the rest of us, buy the car you want and if it goes up. lucky you.

haha but you did buy that RS well!! 

And yes, I totally agree mate, to me those "blue chip investment" cars are for the super rich, I tend to think of those as the 7/8 figure cars that you see crossing the block at Bonhams, gooding etc.

Really our Porsches have gone up yes, but in the scheme of things, look around you... a bloody Toyota land cruiser is north of $100k these days and has been for a while! 

I don't tend to look at these things with investment potential so much, I prefer to think of it as calculated risk mitigation. 

Buy what you like and enjoy it, buy the right car, and treat it well and it'll always be a "sound" purchase

Cars are not an investment IMO, should be an enjoyment. 

1 hour ago, Mike D'Silva said:

They are probably better than my share portfolio is performing at the moment..

I couldn't agree more. LOL. :lol::(

i watched the original Thomas Crown affair (1968) the other night.  McQueen in his element.  I saw that the female character has a Ferrari 250 GTO in it, so I thought, well, I bet that's worth a pretty penny now being a movie car and all.

Googled it and found that the last sale price was in 2013 at $24 million or something like that.   A lot of the articles erroneously said 'as driven by Steve McQueen' when in fact in the movie it is seen twice in static shots, and is owned/possessed/whatever by the female lead and not McQueens character.

The guy that bought that car made a good investment.  But his family that sold it .... donated the lot to charity!

Yikes to be that rich and generous...just wow.

5 year view on Porsches (air-cooled) they look like  a sweet investment - but so does East Coast Australia Property.......

25 year view - "investment grade" Porsche v East Coast Australian Property, I suggest Property wins hand down

4 hours ago, Ozvino said:

.25 year view - "investment grade" Porsche v East Coast Australian Property, I suggest Property wins hand down

Maintenance and recommissioning of rarely used cars will cost a bomb over that period. Who knows if the factory will support the old cars into the future?
Will petrol cars even be allowed on the roads?
But inland property , install a private track and have fun with your remaining years :) Just a suggestion...

993's were king for a long time, and 964's were the redheaded stepchild for a while. Now it has definitely flipped and 964's are popular as many see them as the last of the original shape. 

Sporto's are never going to be really sought after, same with tip's.  I would always choose a manual as that is what the masses want (and they are so much more fun to drive :D ).

If you have to buy a car, the right Porsche will most likely hold it's value better than most other cars, so you may chalk one up over your neighbour and his new Jag on resale. If you are looking strategically for investment and this is the only way you can either justify or afford to buy a Porsche than I have no doubt there are better money making strategies out there. 

Worth also considering other models within the brand if you are looking for a smaller buy in. 914 would be a car on my radar if I had the room.................911's are yesterdays news. ;)

#first world problems

18 hours ago, edgy said:

haha but you did buy that RS well!! 

And yes, I totally agree mate, to me those "blue chip investment" cars are for the super rich, I tend to think of those as the 7/8 figure cars that you see crossing the block at Bonhams, gooding etc.

Really our Porsches have gone up yes, but in the scheme of things, look around you... a bloody Toyota land cruiser is north of $100k these days and has been for a while! 

I don't tend to look at these things with investment potential so much, I prefer to think of it as calculated risk mitigation. 

Buy what you like and enjoy it, buy the right car, and treat it well and it'll always be a "sound" purchase

sound advice!

I have red 74 sporto I’m about to advertise. It’s getting the gearbox rebuilt at the moment. Once it comes back it will be advertised around 60k. Numbers matching rhd

On 5/1/2018 at 11:08 PM, Jcg1 said:

I have red 74 sporto I’m about to advertise. It’s getting the gearbox rebuilt at the moment. Once it comes back it will be advertised around 60k. Numbers matching rhd

Curious to know who is rebuilding the box?

Archived