Engine upgrade

I have a VERY high km 996 gen 2 coupe worth sweet bugger all. 

It is my toy.

Love to buy a GT3 but other things I can spend money on.

I have been told in next  5-10,000 KM engine will need a rebuild.

4.0 upgrade kit and work approx. $ 20k.

It will be a Haunted Hills, Sandown track toy and the odd SMT car for my kids and myself. 

Has anyone had a 3.6 to 4.0 upgrade done??

I have been told $10k for a bottom end 3.6 rebuild so why not upgrade!!

I know most of the questions, will brakes need an upgrade, will transmission handle it?

The main question, is it worth seriously considering!!

Be a hell of a weapon!

16 minutes ago, James P said:

Perfect, work already done, fixed price under your $20k estimate 🙂   and you can probably sell your old engine on too 🙂 

15 hours ago, jakroo said:

I am curious....what is considered to be a high km odometer reading on these cars?

Mine has done 220,000km.

The gumtree engine/gearbox seems interesting priced depending on what has been done to the motor.

I am not after massive HP just amazing torque/pulling power.

I gather no one here has had the conversion done?

6 hours ago, philipk said:

Mine has done 220,000km.

The gumtree engine/gearbox seems interesting priced depending on what has been done to the motor.

I am not after massive HP just amazing torque/pulling power.

I gather no one here has had the conversion done?

I am curious.  How do you get amazing torque / pulling power on a N/A  996 which is non mezgered whilst   keeping it reasonable on a cost of engine upgrade  /  quick sale price ratio in absence of forced induction.  Can't you modulate higher  tq /  hp with your right foot if you do have it? 

I reckon James P is  all over it and bang on.   PS I received  a text with that a link to that motor on the  23rd may with  an asking price of 29.9k.  

Seems expensive to get high torque  on these N/A 996's comparatively speaking. Someone last night was tempting me with  an additional circa 30 % more tq/hp (130 Nm/130hp) via a blower  on my daily for a mere 6.5k and claimed  circa 5 hours of labour (skeptical) , and 1 hour on a laptop. Pulling the trigger on that would be all about addressing torque / pulling power down low.

9 hours ago, philipk said:

Mine has done 220,000km......

Yes okay thanks for that info.  That doesn't sound like a lot to me as I do many many kilometres in my cars.  My 12 year old Evo which hasn't been driven too much in the past 24 months and has maybe done 15k kms in that time just had it's 305,000 km service.  Sure one could (successfully) argue it's not an exotic German but it is only a 2 litre engine pushing out a gentleman's agreed 200kw at crank or approx. 170kw at the 4 wheels.  Not too highly strung but at 100kw per litre of engine input it's not too shabby (how many 500kw 5 litre or 360kw 3.6 engines are out there direct from the factory??).  And it's a long way from needing to be rebuilt.

Have you asked why it needs an engine rebuild so you can avoid the next one?

Not me Did not even have time to think about it!😐

Don't want to supercharge, thought about buying a 3.8 out of the States but I just think stick with my original motor and rebuild it!

It stills pulls like crazy up high but I would love more low-end torque.

From the day I bought it, 100,000km, I was told the engine would go mid 200"s km without any issues.

My Mechanic drove it around for a couple of days while I was away overseas and said he noticed a low-end rattle and will need a rebuild in 5-10k.

I am away for work all November so I thought f##k it, the perfect time for the rebuild, then he mentioned the 4.0 upgrade !!!!

If I have to rebuild it, why not do it as a 4.0?

As I said Hell of a weapon!😄

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...