What did you do to your Porsche today ???

cyberpunky

964 Bill came around last night and we did a number of servicing s on his 964 inc clutch bleed, brake bleed & transaxle oil change.

From this I learned that the 964 has a vented brake fluid reservoir (which needs to be plugged when pressure bleeding it!).

Garage work was followed up with some red wine consumption until midnight or so... generally a productive night lol.

bill.jpg

Removed the CIS to investigate oil leaks. Turns out was just the breather cover gasket.

Now I just have to work out how to put it all back in again!

If anyone ever needs a hand removing the CIS in situ the answer is a hearty no :P

If it wasn't for rego being due I would have waited until the motor was out.

Hi Greg,

Those manual winders are like Hens teeth ! Took me ages to find a set,still haven't put them in yet.

Cheers,Mark.

So I shouldn't tell you how much I paid for them?

Picked up the rear adjustable Koni dampers. Front arm rebuild tomorrow. Rear spring plate due back front plating mid week.

Plan is to get all of the M030 gear in prior to the next sprint and in time for the road trip to Melbourne and Canberra

Cheers

Greg

Oil & filter change. First time using Brad Penn - the infamous green oil is something beautiful in itself.

Tomorrow air filter change and car wash.

Well done Doish. Hear really good things on the US forums about the Brad Penn.

Suprised than it isn't brought into the country in drums or at least in 5 litre containers.

So I went from this:

20130907_110138_zps1d85b26f.jpg

Turns out the oil leaks were from the breather cover on the top of the motor, and the other areas there are fine.

20130907_145253_zps6f453852.jpg

Absolute cow of a job to remove it all in situ. I recommend removing the engine for anyone else that wants to do this.

20130907_145309_zps49cb9acb.jpg

So... where does all this go again??

20130907_145302_zpsf54b89ef.jpg

Obligatory Porsche navel gaze.  Looks pretty clean in there.

20130907_150107_zpsb210bc3f.jpg

Also looking nice and clean inside the motor.

20130907_150409_zps44a00b80.jpg

Cleaned cover with new gasket.  Then all I had to do was put it all back together!

20130908_131454_zps3d814046.jpg

And through the magic of television, many hours of swearing can be skipped to the end result.  All back together and drives well.

No drips as yet after a good wash down.  Also got rid of the ginormous A/C bracket while I was in there.  Heat boost fan can stay out until I do the tensioners as well.  The fan duct hole is covered amazingly neatly by a peanut butter jar lid and hose clamp lol

I'd call the leak "significant" in that there were drops under the car every few days.  The pictures don't do it justice as to how wet it was around the breather area.  There's also another leak from the oil bypass hose but that will also be changed out with the tensioners.

Intake port gaskets were all good so I left them alone.  Figured I'd do more damage trying to scrape them out.  The engine had the heads done a few years back and the gaskets were in good order.  Someone used silicone on them which while I think is dodgey it let the manifold peel away from the gasket easily enough.

If I was to offer advice to anyone for this job it would be to undo the rear engine mounts and drop the motor down about 4 or 5 inches. would have made the whole job a million times easier.

Front arms stripped for refurbishment. I hate removing rubber bushes.

Both ball joints were shot, one original and one an early aftermarket plastic bushed one (OEM is plastic).

Removing the original ball joint circlip is a PITA, drilling per the Rennbay YouTube video works.

Bushes were heated, rubber removed and then the old hacksaw trick used to enable removal.

Bit of a blast with glass bead and they look good. Bushes and ball joint go in this week.

Greg

painstakingly polished my lug nuts one by one to a brilliant shine

From this

IMG_3847.jpg

To this 

IMG_3846.jpg

Either that, or I bought shiny lug nut covers and clipped them on. Definitely one or the other. 

The shield doesn't quite point to the exact centre of the lug nut. It's bothering me !

painstakingly polished my lug nuts one by one to a brilliant shine

From this

IMG_3847.jpg

To this 

IMG_3846.jpg

Either that, or I bought shiny lug nut covers and clipped them on. Definitely one or the other. 

Anyone want to mention the logo not pointing to the valve?  'coz i sure as hell don't....