What did you do to your Porsche today ???

cyberpunky

Yeah would like to take a proper photo.. outside, during the day and with something other than an iphone :)

With decent daylight it is possible to get a good image from an iPhone.  Although they're just about useless indoors or in artificial light.

With decent daylight it is possible to get a good image from an iPhone.  Although they're just about useless indoors or in artificial light.

agree i have taken some decent iphone pics in natural light, though would like to get my camera out for a few nice photos which i havent done

Do share the details! For your current motor?

Triumph bike EFI throttle bodies on weber style manifolds.  Yes, I'll be fitting them to my current motor, and will change them out for a 3.2 manifold when I go turbo - eventually.

Uncle and I pulled the motor out this evening so I can do the tensioners and clutch.  Also, I fell over a flower pot in the dark, and decided if that was how it was going to be I may as well have some more beers.

After lots of swearing we managed to separate the gearbox from the motor. Not knowing about the bolt-and-spacer trick I ended up undoing the pressure plate from the flywheel through the starter hole.

On the 915 box the release bearing carrier must be turned so that it will pass the clutch fork.  this is hard to do, so a bolt and spacer must be inserted in the three threaded holes accessed through the starter hole. This draws in the pressure plate, giving enough slack to turn the release bearing carrier.

*EDIT* On the later (post 70) helper spring type box the clutch fork circlip at the bottom of the arm MUST be removed and the helper arm slid off the shaft. 

First I knew about it was when we couldn't separate the box from the motor.

On the 915 box the release bearing carrier must be turned so that it will pass the clutch fork. With the later 915 helper spring this is hard to do, so a bolt and spacer must be inserted in the three threaded holes accessed through the starter hole. This draws in the pressure plate, giving enough slack to turn the release bearing carrier.

First I knew about it was when we couldn't separate the box from the motor.

Thanks Jim.

Every bit of knowledge helps. Any pictures?

Not yet. I have some of the engine removal I just put up on PB but it's blocked at work.

I'll find some PP images.

*edit* here's some.  From this thread http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-engine-rebuilding-forum/657811-seperating-901-transmission-engine.html

"Right about the 1970 model year the clutch arrangement changed from a push type to a pull type. What this may mean for you is that you need to turn the flywheel until you see one of three rivet heads appear. These are threaded internally. You need to make or buy three spacers. (.50 O.D. x .25 I.D. x .25 long) Screw a M6 x 12mm long socket head screw through the spacer into the threaded rivet head. Rotate the flywheel and do all three. Tightening these screws will remove the tension on the throwout bearing. Now, take a screw driver and through the opening (right/top?) in the tranny housing rotate the throwout bearing 90 degrees, until it is free from the fork. now you can remove the tranny.

PS: before you do all this, try unscrewing the adjusting screw on the clutch release fork. This would free everything up enough on my 71E to allow me to rotate the throwout bearing."

101_47291329785213.jpg

Changed my old radiator for the new one...

Gave my self a nice warm coolant bath also.... need to remember that what's warm to the hand is most always burning to the face.

I'm sure the bloke that designed the little rail below the radiator drain plug, laughed and laughed when he designed it knowing full well that no matter what angle you attack the drain plug at the minute the coolant touches the rail it sprays 360°. Guess I should invest in the radiator drain plug hose.

Changed my old radiator for the new one...

Gave my self a nice warm coolant bath also.... need to remember that what's warm to the hand is most always burning to the face.

I'm sure the bloke that designed the little rail below the radiator drain plug, laughed and laughed when he designed it knowing full well that no matter what angle you attack the drain plug at the minute the coolant touches the rail it sprays 360°. Guess I should invest in the radiator drain plug hose.

I got the Lindsey racing drain kit. Best add on you can get if you get on the tools yourself