986 or mazda rx-8

Hey guys first post and i assume i should post my question here.

I'm planning on getting a 2nd car for fun weekends and I'm debating between a boxster 986 and a mazda rx-8, both manual. I know all the cons and pros of a rotary but not to knowledgeable on the boxster, other then the lovely ims bearing. If you guys could give me a heads up on the the 986 issues and parts i would appreciate it. Is there and aftermarket hard tops like the mx-5? Im not scared to do my own work on a flat motor myself either i just need to know the best place to get parts.

Thanks in advance, call me out for being dumb I haven't look at porsche into detail yet.

Cracking question. Que arnachy.....

986 Boxster won wheels car of the year something like 3 out of 6 years and for good reason. Well engineered driving Nivana. 

To answer some of your questions:

1.   yes you can get a mx5 style hard top but my casual observation is they are not common - maybe 5% of cars optioned them

2.   Boxsters seem to come in two types, (1) bulletproof never had an issue type and (2) even though IMS hasn't gone, age related rebuilds of suspension, rear main seal, flywheel, can cost a bit

3. Thing to realise is a $25k Boxster is still full of $120k car components, so when things just "wear out" they are not cheap to replace even if you spanner yourself. These were an expensive car.

4.   IMHO first time Boxster buyers were in a different financial position to 911 buyers. It is rare to see a Boxster with a lot of options. Most are close to basic spec cars (which are still fabulous cars)

I suspect I will be the only one on the forum to say this, but if you want open top motoring and carving back roads go the Boxster. If you are even asking the question you have already been bitten by the rotary bug. I am a devoted P fan but nothing beats a chook cooker screaming at 8,000 rpm, one of life's great pleasures. Series 2 RX8 will bring you no kudos on this site but is an electric, go cart, wrong side of the tracks, pleasure dome. Rotary engine - 10/10, rebuild cost = cheap compared to Boxster, 6 sp. Mazda box = best in the business, handling ultimately not as good as Boxster but remember fun driving comes from slightly flawed cars not cars that run on rails.

Go live your misspent youth.

que the arnachy...

I currently have a rotary track car (FD RX7).  Despite being a rotary fan, RX8 is just all sorts of wrong.  You’ve got to turbo a rotary to enjoy it.  If you must have a rotary, buy an FD instead.

Boxsters are cool, great chassis, fast enough for the road, that’s be my pick for a weekender.

9 hours ago, DJM said:

You’ve got to turbo a rotary to enjoy it.  

Sorry thread drift: Curious to know why you say this @DJM. As I've always been keen to own a Rotary powered car after being petrified as a passenger in a highly modified RX4 as a late teen...

Is your FD race car turbocharged?  I've watched some of your clips in the past and it definitely goes nicely.

INon turbo rotary lacks torque.  I had a 13B Bridgeport in a Datsun 1600, about 210hp at the flywheel, best time 1:57 around Phillip Island.  It was a bit of a slug to be honest, not enough grunt to haul you out of the corners.  And that’s in a sub 1,000kg car not a heavy RX8.

I now have an FD Rx7 with a 13B Bridgeport turbo, 475hp at the wheels, 1230kg.  It’s a rocket ship, best time 1:42 (so far) around Phillip Island, you’d need a 991.2 GT3 RS to go quicker.  So much fun.

i reckon they are a great engine if built properly but the torque and boost of a turbo rotary is like nothing else.

compare the pair, the old girl was pedaling hard to keep up with a Mitsubishi Mirage 😂 The RX7 is quicker than most cars on track.

A full face NA rotary is a different beast again.  These guys look after my car.  Their S1 RX7 IPRA has a fuel injected 13B BP making around 320hp and in a light car, well tuned suspension and gun driver, he is as quick as me in my much more powerful turbo RX7.   But it’d be a pig of an engine in an RX8 road car 😂. It’s a great video of some great driving.

7 minutes ago, Dalai said:

Thanks for the detailed reply. Been considering the Mazda West with the 12a BP on my105...

12A 👎🏻

11 hours ago, DJM said:

I currently have a rotary track car (FD RX7).  Despite being a rotary fan, RX8 is just all sorts of wrong.  You’ve got to turbo a rotary to enjoy it.  If you must have a rotary, buy an FD instead.

Boxsters are cool, great chassis, fast enough for the road, that’s be my pick for a weekender.

this
even the second iteration of the rx8, despite fixing initial issues, too much weight not enough engine

if you have to own an rx8, just make sure it has a different engine. Ls fits great..
i loved my time capsule spec series 3 rx7 but as DJM says not much torque. very fun car for what it is but needed a 13b n/a at least.
my FC on the other hand was turbo and close to stock and had a perfect amount of power for dirt/street car.

that said, i'm not huge 986 fan either. but for most it will be better than an rx8

9 minutes ago, Dalai said:

Noted. It is in a single seater if that's any consolation?

Needs a hyabusa 

I followed @TrevMcRev in his 986 2.5 Boxster in my then Cayman GT4 through the hills and while I had a LOT more power, I couldn’t travel much quicker than him, in fact I was pedaling pretty hard to stay with him.  I’d reel him in on the straights but in the fun bits, there was not much in it.

The chassis balance (& a dose of driving skill 👌🏻) was amazing.  It’s all the car you need if weekend hill drives are your target,  as they say, more fun driving a slow car fast than a fast car slow.  Fast car fast is even better but that’s reserved for the track.  

ooh, rx8 vs booster.

I had/have  both as daily work car.

The RX8 was great , and slightly practical with the back seat and suicide doors (coming from an MX5 anyhow).But even as a  brand spanker, it loved the juice, both unleaded and oil.

I dont miss topping it up constantly. Was cool for cruising, and novel at the time, but still a bit of an oddball. Sold to get a 125 Convertible (with 3l six, that one I miss)

Current 718 boxster (and first porsche) is even easier to live with and had no issues in 2 years.

I know your purpose is different, but I'd go a boxster I think.

Its funny how even in 2 years ive noticed on the forum they are coming back in favour somehow.

I dont care about the whole hairdresser thin: ,roof down, thumbs up and grey locks blowing in the wind I say., screw you hippy, in the politest possible way

(although Im sure I resemble the top gear boxster road test from years ago where the dudes hair sucks straight up, and toupee eventually flies off, wind buffeting is a thing).

Tbh didn't know there was the meme of a hairdresser car. But of those type of cars do become iconic in later years so i don't really mind the stigma. the rx8 would have to be the series 2 hands down. My budget for buying the car is $20,000 + $10,000 for inevitable repairs.

25 minutes ago, Marlyparly said:

Tbh didn't know there was the meme of a hairdresser car. But of those type of cars do become iconic in later years so i don't really mind the stigma. the rx8 would have to be the series 2 hands down. My budget for buying the car is $20,000 + $10,000 for inevitable repairs.

986 S for sure, no brainer. $20k will see you in a good one with generally no repairs forthcoming. Stock they are a good goer in all scenarios, low cost hotted a little they just get better,  and modified a great little racer that embarrass a lot of others. If you like a roof (I don't) hardtops come up from time to time - cheapest I've seen was a shit one for $600 (and you'll be very lucky if it's the same colour as your car) and most I saw was around $5000 for an excellent one.

7 hours ago, LeeM said:

Did you have the handbrake on? 

😉

Harsh 😂. I flogged that bloody thing.  Couldn’t get a better time out of it.  The old turbo Datsun engine was much more powerful but slower because it was sideways wheelspin everywhere 😂😂

1 hour ago, Marlyparly said:

That’s a healthy budget for a good 986...

I’ve got an early 2.5 car which is very bare bones, but, love that little thing!

For a weekend road car, they’re very hard to go past at the price point... it’s a very good platform! 

I have a 3.2 2001 boxster. They really come alive in the tight twisty corners. Which I love. Zip through in a twisty 80klm zone barely breaking the limit but feels like 100.

The 2.5 has one less gear which makes it zip very well too. If twisties are your thing?

10 minutes down the road you forget it's a soft top or until you decide to put it down for a bit.

Cayman if you want a roof. Hits your budget harder though.

As a weekender I would say neither and go a soft top NC2 MX5 (2009-2015), get an OEM removable hardtop for it (hard to find but they come up) and get some Ohlins. You could probably even get one and pay someone to do a 2.5L drop in engine conversion for the price of a Boxster. 

The NC is based on the same chassis as the RX8 but with 250kg less weight and a reliable engine, it's also 200kg lighter than a 986 Boxster. I have a 981 Boxster S and an NC2 MX5, the MX5 is faster in the corners (with coilovers), you get to rev the hell out of it and can take it to the track with impunity unlike either of the other options.

I wouldn't bother with an NC1 MX5  as they did a bunch of relevant changes on the NC2 like an upgraded gearbox, forged internals and updated the styling.

Here's mine with a hardtop and lowered on Ohlins, I think they actually look good with the removable hardtop (I don't like the electric hardtop version) but I guess that's a personal opinion and many on here would probably hate it
AoyCWD5.jpg?2

1 hour ago, rego said:

As a weekender I would say neither and go a soft top NC2 MX5 (2009-2015), get an OEM removable hardtop for it (hard to find but they come up) and get some Ohlins. You could probably even get one and pay someone to do a 2.5L drop in engine conversion for the price of a Boxster. 

The NC is based on the same chassis as the RX8 but with 250kg less weight and a reliable engine, it's also 200kg lighter than a 986 Boxster. I have a 981 Boxster S and an NC2 MX5, the MX5 is faster in the corners (with coilovers), you get to rev the hell out of it and can take it to the track with impunity unlike either of the other options.

I wouldn't bother with an NC1 MX5  as they did a bunch of relevant changes on the NC2 like an upgraded gearbox, forged internals and updated the styling.

Here's mine with a hardtop and lowered on Ohlins, I think they actually look good with the removable hardtop (I don't like the electric hardtop version) but I guess that's a personal opinion and many on here would probably hate it
AoyCWD5.jpg?2

I like the MX5 Hardtops - we had a silver NB with a purple wrapped hardtop for winter (with wife's business advertising on it) - I reckon it looked sensational, but for performance and handling, the next car, an '05 987S was all over it, but there was a fair bit of price differential.....

1 hour ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

I like the MX5 Hardtops - we had a silver NB with a purple wrapped hardtop for winter (with wife's business advertising on it) - I reckon it looked sensational, but for performance and handling, the next car, an '05 987S was all over it, but there was a fair bit of price differential.....

I don't think you can compare an NB to an NC. The NB is basically an updated NA (late 80's design) whereas the NC is a ground up redesign from the mid 2000's with a much improved chassis which is a similar design timeline to the 987.

Admittedly you need coilovers on an NC to make it really handle but even stock the NC is seconds ahead of the NB on a track (even the turbo NB models).

In my view you can't replace lightness for having fun and the NC is such a rewarding car to drive, I did over 40 track days in my NC1 (which I shouldn't of sold) and hopefully get the same in my NC2.

I do agree that a 987 Cayman S would probably be the pick though if his budget could stretch and it has a lot more credibility on the street.