Leading the sports bikes

7 minutes ago, Nugget said:

Yes,  also I think the lead rider was holding the others up.

Actually I have a different view:

Group of bikes catch you very quickly.

Lead rider recognises that you are not going make it easy fpr the whole group to overtake so drops back so they can at least salvage a few more quick corners rather than be right up your clacker which is pretty tedious.

Once the lead rider makes some space the bikes pick up speed again so they can enjoy the twisties until they catch up to you again and you slow them down again.

I agree they should have had more space between themselves but I think you should have let them through rather than hold them up.

14 minutes ago, Peter M said:

Lead rider recognises that you are not going make it easy fpr the whole group to overtake so drops back so they can at least salvage a few more quick corners rather than be right up your clacker which is pretty tedious.

Once the lead rider makes some space the bikes pick up speed again so they can enjoy the twisties until they catch up to you again and you slow them down again.

I agree they should have had more space between themselves but I think you should have let them through rather than hold them up.

That could be true in this case, I don't know.  But I'll posit another view... Some bike riders just aren't as fast as they think they are.  I rode bikes a lot in my younger days (as I know a lot of us did), and I had the advantage of some 'proper' training in the coppers many moons ago.  One thing that became very apparent was that although bikes are very quick on acceleration and braking, the laws of physics work damn hard against two wheels :D  My old sergeant once put me out on a bike (BMW K1100) at Phillip Island after I'd bragged a bit... I went up against one of the gun drivers in a turbo VL pursuit car with a challenge to out run him.  I couldn't... Yes I could make distance into and out of a corner, but top ends weren't too different.  What was startling to me at the time was just what an advantage four flat foot prints have over two rotational patches which are fighting centrifugal forces as well as lateral  - I learned that a well set up car will easily out corner a bike.  So in tight twisties with constant directional changes and little room for hard acceleration, a car will generally out-perform a bike (I know this doesn't account for talent, power to weight advantages, set up etc...). 

1 hour ago, TINGY996 said:

I have another view, a 996 is faster through those corners than most average sports bike riders, unless they are scraping knees, see you later.

@PhilH graciously allowed me to try his 996 in the Adelaide hills last year, and as the road I was on I knew like the back of my hand after many years riding it on bikes, I came upon some sportsbikes pretty quickly without having to drive the car like a nutcase. No way in a fit could they get away, yet one guy knew I was there and started to make mistakes, run wide and basically make an ass of himself, so I backed off before he tossed it away.

I'll add that that one was of the best, albeit brief, drives I have ever done in anything. Such a great car

Guys, I think you have missed my point.

In this example the bikes are covering ground more quickly.  Sure their corning speed won't be as great as a car but they are averaging a higher speed along  particular length of road.  Otherwise they would have been in frame from the very start of the video.

3 minutes ago, Peter M said:

Guys, I think you have missed my point.

In this example the bikes are covering ground more quickly.  Sure their corning speed won't be as great as a car but they are averaging a higher speed along  particular length of road.  Otherwise they would have been in frame from the very start of the video.

I know what you meant, all good:D

No matter how hard or soft you are driving, if something catches up with you (even the local garbage truck driver) they are traveling quicker than you.

Don't be a dick. Let them get past so you all continue to enjoy your day.

Racetrack - different story unless they are a LOT quicker than you. Marshalls will blue flag you. Ignore that and you do the walk of shame to the control tower.

On 11/07/2020 at 13:22, Peter M said:

At the 1.00 mark the riders catch me quickly cause its a 60k zone & the road is quite bumpy, so i take it easy through there up to 1.30 where the road turns billiard table smooth and I give it the berries.

Don't know why they didn't stick with me because other riders have in the past.

At 2.00 there is a small turn out lane where overtaking is possible but they are 100m behind me & I'll be f*cked if I'm going to stand on the brakes from110kph and come to a stop to let 7 bikes through when they aren't even close.......**Edited by moderator**

Then at 2.42 i come around the corner to see a slow car in front, so I back off.

Stevie Wonder could see, at the end, I'm doing about 50kph.

Anyways the video makes it look like I blew them off and people I've shown it to were very impressed so you can't rain on my parade.

Long live the 996, I love her even more.

1 hour ago, Nugget said:

Anyways the video makes it look like I blew them off and people I've shown it to were very impressed so you can't rain on my parade.

Long live the 996, I love her even more.

Ha Ha  😂

Ok, I won't ruin your show Nugget.

I'll guarantee that rider has done a billion laps around there and is an A grade racer. You can tell by his lines, gear changes, acceleration and corner speeds. There's no way in a fit he's just some gongy on a sportsbike with all the gear and no idea you'd see in the hills every weekend. 

On 11/07/2020 at 21:02, Nugget said:

At 2.00 there is a small turn out lane where overtaking is possible but they are 100m behind me & I'll be f*cked if I'm going to stand on the brakes from110kph and come to a stop to let 7 bikes through when they aren't even close. ** edited by moderator **.

I was offering my thoughts on your post. No need to be an insulting keyboard warrior.

Its easy to be a hero on the road. The cemeteries are full of them.

Edited by Caver
offensive language

52 minutes ago, Airhead said:

I was offering my thoughts on your post. No need to be an insulting keyboard warrior.

What are you 3?

You accused him of being a dick.

Own it. Get used to being a grown up.

2 hours ago, Airhead said:

Calling me a dick is not being a keyboard warrior? Can't wait for your next comment, Airhead.