Current Melb restrictions, RWC, Club Permits, etc

Is it for “essential” purposes? If not then my thoughts would be no. 

Nothing wrong with driving a Club Permit registered car though so long as it is for essential travel. Getting a RWC probably isn’t considered essential though. 

38 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Wasn't there a posting here of a letter from Vic Roads during Lockdown 1.0 that covered this???

The first lockdown was under “stage 03” provisions, we are now under a more restricted “stage 04” lockdown. 

21 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Agree with @hugh... also I think unlike lockdown 1.0, you can no longer drive  for recreational purposes (even within your 5km zone)... As in “I’m just going for a drive, officer” (previously ok)

Correct. No “recreational” driving under the current provisions. I did have to attend a site last week though when the sun was shining and couldn’t resist taking the RS! I was waiting to get pulled up, had my permits etc all done but didn’t see any police in my travels. 

2 hours ago, rafikdous said:

My question is about driving to obtain RWC. Neither VicRoads nor the workshop have a definitive answer 

4 hours ago, hugh said:

Is it for “essential” purposes? If not then my thoughts would be no. 

I understand the general meaning of acceptable travel at the moment is only for one of the 'four reasons' - ie. Essential. So if the use of the car in question will be essential, then obtaining a rwc should be acceptable.  So possibly depends if the car in question will be your primary mode of transport. 

The VACC has been working with licenced testers in the Automotive trade to guide on these issues. A call to them should help. 

10 hours ago, rafikdous said:

So what is the deal, can we get RWC and drive for club rego purposes?

I am hearing different stories. Even from VicRoads

Does anyone know the definitive answer?

This might help a bit with restrictions etc.   Hard to load up but hopefully they will open up for us in the leper colony

20 08 (2) Car Advice -Covid 19 restrictions.pdf

www.caradvice.com.au:.webloc 20 08 (2) Car Advice -Covid 19 restrictions.pdf

8 hours ago, rafikdous said:

My question is about driving to obtain RWC. Neither VicRoads nor the workshop have a definitive answer 

I had a car already at the workshop for brakes and RWC as we entered Stage 4.  I called the local cops to see whether I could go and collect the car on a trailer.  They said while workshops are considered essential for safety reasons, driving there to drop off or pick up a car is non essential......🤔  The cops did suggest I could use a transport company as they are allowed to continue to operate. 

I actually sold the car in Stage 3 but the buyer was not allowed to go to the workshop to inspect once Stage 4 kicked in.  Ultimately he was happy to go through with the deal based on a FaceTime inspection hosted by the mechanic.  The car was delivered from Hastings to Nunawading on a flat bed.

9 hours ago, LeeM said:

If your illustrious 'leader' has his way with the 12 month extension to the emergency situation, then I reckon you poor Vic's are going to want to lynch him! 

He will still need to extend in 4w blocks but it stands to reason we can’t have it expire and all restrictions lifted on Sept 13....as much as I hate these restrictions and the impact on business, to allow a free-for-all will be much worse.

The Public Health and Wellbeing Act allows for a state of emergency to run for a maximum of six months.

Victoria's state of emergency was first declared on March 16, and after several four-week extensions, is due to expire under the act on September 13. 

That's why the Victorian Government wants to change the act, to allow it to extend the state of emergency for another 12 months, bringing it to 18 months in total.

The state of emergency would still have to be declared by the Government in four-week blocks, as it is now, and the Premier stressed he was not seeking an "unlimited" extension.

8 hours ago, rafikdous said:

Are they stopping people from getting a RWC for a vehicle on standard rego? If the answer is no then what is the difference?

I know the authorities would not care but if the car on standard rego fails to proceed then you always have a backup with the historic rego car, no?

16 minutes ago, tomo said:

Historic /Club cars are not essential items , So they can book you.

Not if you're using those cars for essential purposes. There is nothing to say you can't drive your 25+ year old car on club plates to the supermarket within a 5km radius to get your groceries. 

18 minutes ago, Andy73 said:

Not if you're using those cars for essential purposes. There is nothing to say you can't drive your 25+ year old car on club plates to the supermarket within a 5km radius to get your groceries. 

Thought it was about getting  a RWC.

11 hours ago, LeeM said:

If your illustrious 'leader' has his way with the 12 month extension to the emergency situation, then I reckon you poor Vic's are going to want to lynch him! 

"Illustrious leader"??? I have different words to describe him Lee and most of them will offend the unoffendable

I guess the number of responses explains the unclarity and confusion. I called the club to ask, his answer was business as usual. Called VicRoads to ask, their answer was we are still processing rego application. Called the RW guy, he doesn't know

What's the point of all of them open for business but customers cannot drive to them????

Fn madness 

Lot of moaning here over a friggin' roadworthy for historic plates.  IS IT ESSENTIAL???? That is the only question you need to ask yourself.  If not then the initial question has been answered.  We are all going through this here in Vic and it is all for our own good so as we do not get this bloody horrible infection.  If you know someone who has the infection and what they are going through then moaning because you cannot drive somewhere to get a RWC for club plates seems just unbelievable.  There has been a suggestion to solve the problem (flatbed trailer by independent).  

1 hour ago, rafikdous said:

"Illustrious leader"??? I have different words to describe him Lee and most of them will offend the unoffendable

I guess the number of responses explains the unclarity and confusion. I called the club to ask, his answer was business as usual. Called VicRoads to ask, their answer was we are still processing rego application. Called the RW guy, he doesn't know

What's the point of all of them open for business but customers cannot drive to them????

Fn madness 

Didn’t my response clarify?  From first hand experience, a workshop can do the RWC and a transport company can take it there for you.  You cannot drive it there or back.  

That’s what the cops told me and they’re the ones handing out the tickets for breaches.  So if you can’t wait, get someone to deliver the car.....simple. 

the mechanic was none the wiser - VACC had been issuing conflicting daily updates which is why I called the cops. 

if you still don’t have the answer you want then wait....

1 hour ago, Lucky Phil said:

Why would he stay around?   He is buggered if he does and buggered if he doesn't.  What a crap job he has got at the moment.  I would not wish his job on anyone. 

You make the mess, you fix it.  

I have zero sympathy for him or those who triggered the current situation.  Yes, I support the clean up effort and what we all have to do - and actually agree that the government needs the “state of emergency” powers to allow a quick response where needed.  This carping about lack of oversight is political grandstanding.  

On the topic of the forum, service and repairs are not considered “essential”.  Getting a RWC would fall within that.  I advise a few car dealer groups and repairers and that is the current government position.  

The VACC is lobbying hard to change that as its costing dealers and workshops a mozza not being able to to do as they say that they could Do that with the appropriate COVIDSafe plan.

DJM is also right, you can’t Currently drive there and back as its not for one of the “4 reasons”

^ so the workshops should have a fruit stand out the front.  Go there for essential groceries and leave the car for RWC😂

another consideration is my car sat for 6 weeks waiting for a set of Hawk brake pads out of the US that got stuck in Covid customs chaos in Melbourne 👎🏻