Are there any tyre guru's in da house??

Dreamr

Blew a rear tyre on the C4S today .. Not Happy Jan!!

I have near new Michelin Pilot Sport 2 on the front. They have the N3 rating.

I want to replace the rears with the same as the fronts but I'm finding the Michelin Pilot Sport 2 with the N4 rating.

I'm sure if I look hard enough, I'll find the N3's but my questions are ...

Can I have N3 on the front and N4 on the rear? ... does it throw anything out?

Just to save the whole tyre debate .. I'm set on replacing like for like .. not going with any other brand or model of Michelin tyre. Reason is that I don't drive it enough, want to keep front and rear the same and even the old technology PS2 will out drive me twice over.

Any help is appreciated ... 🙂

Shouldn't make a difference as long as you run the same ones on the relevant axles (front and rear match).  The N rating 3/4 is just the evolution of the tyre design in that model.  The tread etc should all be the same.  

Outside of the debate as you didn't ask, but the Pilot Super Sports are a much better tyre if you need to replace two rears.  

12 minutes ago, 1q2w3e4r said:

Shouldn't make a difference as long as you run the same ones on the relevant axles (front and rear match).  The N rating 3/4 is just the evolution of the tyre design in that model.  The tread etc should all be the same.  

Outside of the debate as you didn't ask, but the Pilot Super Sports are a much better tyre if you need to replace two rears.  

I do appreciate that there are better and more modern tyres available ... and if I was replacing all 4, I would definitely be looking into it.

The PO of my car replaced the fronts in 2018 and only 4,000 k’s ago, so just want to keep them uniform ..

Thanks for the reply ... 

Tire rack says do not mix as does my Porsche manual. 
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=26

I have had a bad experience by mixing what appeared to be identical tires on the same axel with the only difference being the country they were made in. USA and Japan. The FWD car was evil to drive and upon enquiring with the manufacture they confirm construction differences and gave me FOC a tyre to match the one I just purchased. 

As 1q2 states, as long as both tyres on a given axle are the same shouldn’t be an issue, and you’re not at 275km/h on an Autobahn or Conrad Straight   But front to rear with different N rating shouldn’t be an issue.  F to R are different sizes as it is, that’s a bigger difference than N3 to N4 evolution.

I couldn’t find PSS’s when I was replacing tyres, P-Zero Rosso’s ended up being fitted, then I bought a spare set of OEM wheels with 4 more 85% P-Z R’s mounted, I have 10% of Italy’s 2019 GDP in my garage....

Yesterday I re shod my 997 with Michelin, 4S on the front and Super Sport on the rear. Tyroola had a deal 4 months ago, so I purchased the SS, then about 2 months ago the 4S. Saved around $900. I didn’t have an issue with different specs as KGB explained, different sizes anyway (width and height). Asked around and researched before I went ahead.  

Can I ask a question (slightly highjacking this thread).  I am about to purchase a 2003 996.2, needs new tyres all round.  Recommendations from the Illuminati for a good set of allrounders for daily driving & spirited weekend flights with a pilot of questionable to average skills.  Will be used to ferry a 5 year old around (& occasionaly an acerbic female) so they need to be more on the safe side, good grip in the wet & dry etc.  Price not the determining factor, appropriateness more important.

Sorry for the hijack :ph34r:, castigate me if neccesary & I will make a new thread.

58 minutes ago, Jason E said:

Can I ask a question (slightly highjacking this thread).  I am about to purchase a 2003 996.2, needs new tyres all round.  Recommendations from the Illuminati for a good set of allrounders for daily driving & spirited weekend flights with a pilot of questionable to average skills.  Will be used to ferry a 5 year old around (& occasionaly an acerbic female) so they need to be more on the safe side, good grip in the wet & dry etc.  Price not the determining factor, appropriateness more important.

Sorry for the hijack :ph34r:, castigate me if neccesary & I will make a new thread.

You are always welcome to piggy back off my threads ... on or off topic.

Your dysfunctional antics and posts keep me amused ... :Chuckle2:

2 hours ago, 1q2w3e4r said:

Pilot Sport 4s

If you have 18 inch wheels it might depend on what size you want to fit on the rear wheels?  The common size of 285/30/18 is not available in PS4s on the Michelin Australia webpage and they only list PS2s.  However, if you are happy to get 265/35/18 you can get PS4s although looking at the Michelin Australia website they may not be N rated.

I thnk everyone has answered similarly, same axle shoudl have matching tyres, front to rear can be different, but you want them as close as you can for balance. N3 to N4 shouldn't make a noticable difference to 99% of drivers front to back.

As to good tyres, I could not find Michelins for love nor money in 18's or 19's recently and went with the Continental Sport Contact 6 and they are really really good. As reviews have said, noise is up a little on the Michelin PS4's which I still have on the stock 18's, but grip wise, it feels (seat of the pants feels) like the Conti's are better all round over the PS4's. However, I can't say definitely as I did go up in width and rim size so its very subjective..

But I am liking the Continentials 

So .. as an update, I have done the following ..

I did some Google research as well and as expected came up with conflicting information.

Spoke to AH and they told me that as per the Porsche Tecnical department, as long as both tyres are being replaced on the same axle, with the factory recommended size and with the same or very similar tyre tread as the front, it is OK to have N3 on the fronts and N4 on the rears. The N4 is just an update on the N3, not a different tyre.

So .. Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's have been fitted to the rear of the C4S .. 😀

Thank you all for your comments and feedback ..

• 1 month later...
Guest DG996c4s

Hi Dreamr, re your above comment buying PS2's for rear....I currently have Continental Contact 2's on front & rear.

Am needing to replace front & rears 2003 996 C4s and local supplier has offered 2 choices:

Pirelli Rosso's Or Michelin PS 2's

Do you have any thoughts for me? This is my first replacement tyres.

Thanks Dennis

17 minutes ago, DG996c4s said:

Hi Dreamr, re your above comment buying PS2's for rear....I currently have Continental Contact 2's on front & rear.

Am needing to replace front & rears 2003 996 C4s and local supplier has offered 2 choices:

Pirelli Rosso's Or Michelin PS 2's

Do you have any thoughts for me? This is my first replacement tyres.

Thanks Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Tyres are a very personal choice ... everyone will have a different opinion and will think that theirs are the best.

As you’ve probably read, I only replaced the rears with the same as the fronts as they were near new.

The Michelin PS 2’s are a great tyre. They are factory fitted. There are probably better tyres but for me, a casual driver, they are great. Very grippy.

Good luck with your choice. Can’t really go wrong as either on a Porsche will work well. 😀

1 hour ago, Dreamr said:

Hi Dennis,

Tyres are a very personal choice ... everyone will have a different opinion and will think that theirs are the best.

As you’ve probably read, I only replaced the rears with the same as the fronts as they were near new.

The Michelin PS 2’s are a great tyre. They are factory fitted. There are probably better tyres but for me, a casual driver, they are great. Very grippy.

Good luck with your choice. Can’t really go wrong as either on a Porsche will work well. 😀

Agree re PS2s, they transformed the handling of my 996 C2.  I replaced all 4 corners with PS2s after having a mix of Bridgestone and Contis on it when I bought it.

Must admit I've never been happy with any Pirelli's I've had on a Porsche, although I have recently refitted Scorpion Verdes on my Touareg, which I have been happy with.