hmmm, should I bite the bullet?

rafikdous

To me the question is whether you can afford to pay people to do it, if so, you risk nothing besides a bit of cash.

If on the other hand you are going to be the mug breathing in all the dust and rust and fumes and toxins, whilst at the same time trying to live a "normal" family life, I'd say, no.

Work harder at your day job and earn enough to buy a good one.

If you have the funds and the time yes its worth saving ,,but I am certain your aware of what a large undertaking it will be ,,If you do bite the bullet it would be magic to bring it back :Beer:

Also if you are into the outlaw thing it would be a great dooner ,but for me original is the go ,,,good luck if you go ahead with it ...

I'm with Chris on this.  If you are going to do much of it yourself - then how many years have you left? Arguably not the greatest driving cars but they are old and rare. To realise the full value the restoration would need to be near concours.  That '53-54 in a barn that sold here at the Sunshine Coast a couple of years ago to a Melbourne buyer,  was one I found after years of rumours, but referred it on to help the young seller realise the best price.  It was in great condition and part of his dad's estate.

The Cab on the current Shannons auction is another one that would cost a mint to restore.

This is a 'head' and 'heart' one. If you adopt the normal - 'buy as cheap as you can' and 'sell for as much as you can get', the figures may become a bit rubbery. Delwyn Mallett's well described restoration of his '52 (https://concoursvirtual.com/cars/1952-porsche-356-streamliner/ ) took, for his reasons and difficulties faced, 40 years! So the 'heart' aspect is also important as these cars deserve saving and proper restoration. As others have said, if you have the time, fitness and/or money, then do it!  One thing is for sure, the value of the car as it is, won't decline. 

Delwyn Mallett.png

I am not a panels guy, hate welding and I am not good at it anyway. So body work will need to be farmed out. ie will take few years and lots of $$$s. I can do anything else

Had a good chat to the owner over the weekend, he's honest enough to say. "not so sure how much of it will survive the blasting"

Its missing its engine and interior

He has another one which is complete and less of a basket case than this, still a big project with he usual bottom 6" needing replacement

He's in  two minds which to sell, the incomplete basket case '52 or the complete '54

Anyway, we both decided to leave it for a couple of weeks then revisit

• 1 month later...

Hi, late reply, I've only just seen this but may be of help.

I'm currently restoring a 1952 interim bumper coupe and happy to talk about the process so far. Essentially lots of $$, lots of time, lots of frustration vs y'know it's hard not to love these things. The more that comes with the car the better. I am looking at the pretty much complete front bumper on that car with great envy. 

Here's a link to a patchy progress thread of my car through the American 356 registry. 

http://forum.porsche356registry.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38713

Cheers

Scott