What did you do to your GT3 today?

Cam Arnott

Seems like all the GT3 action is on the for sale thread. So let me start with a few pics of my gearbox rebuild on the 996Mk1 CS....

What started as a refresh of 2nd and 3rd gear synchros has become a little more serious. A bit of a while you're in there, scope creep kind of thing.......🙄

Anyway, all new bearings, steel synchros, some new gears, shift fork, a 3.89 crown wheel & pinion in place of the 4.0 Cup Car ratio that was in there, plus a new LSD, clutch plate, pressure plate, throw out bearing, clutch for blah blah! Eye watering cost, but do it once, do it properly.......

IMG_4033.jpg

IMG_4034.jpg

IMG_4035.jpg

Ironically I am in the middle of doing the same thing on my gearbox and it’s only a spare. The bearings etc are very expensive. My gearbox will have $20K in it on parts alone when finished 👀

I am also taking ring a pinion back to road spec. 

Mainly track work wear I think Mick, the car only has about 70,000 k's. Box wasn't bad at idle surprisingly although the LW flywheel masks whatever else may have been going on!

Jason yep I hear you, I'm pretty sure I'm at mid-high $20's and I get my parts at cost!! There's a couple of new gears in that figure as well.

On 06/04/2021 at 22:26, Cam Arnott said:

Eye watering cost, but do it once, do it properly.......

Been there before... lol!!! 

If you havent sold the cup 4.0's I'd be interested in them! I shouldn't have left them in my 997! 

That is looking shit hot @Jason A SY 996.1 looks so bloody good

2 hours ago, Jason A said:

Took it into work today, off to Flat Six Motorsport for a health check and fuel injector clean - its been sitting for a while so just want to make sure everything is 100%

The car clicked over to 29,000 KS on the journey

FEA5CAF2-9221-4C00-94A8-F97F609210E4.jpeg

You must have one in every colour 😆

1 hour ago, spiller said:

Fitted my GT3RS wheel and shift knob today. Amazing how a little bit of alcantara somehow enhances the driving experience. Easy job without too much swearing.

88D74EC6-19C7-4EF6-99FC-F7FB51345D7E.jpeg

9F97892E-5E1A-438E-B965-E04E2CE788F4.jpeg

You probably know this already, but the alcantara can become really scungy from sweaty palms etc.  I have found a pair of proper racing gloves with leather on the palms, makes for very positive steering control when you're pushing hard, no slip 🙂 

56 minutes ago, Jason A said:

Nice, 

Not sure if you noticed but your car has done over 29,000 ks and the ashtray of full - hate to say but it’s time to sell. It’s nearly worn out 😂 

I blame @901erfor the low kms 😂

10 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

You probably know this already, but the alcantara can become really scungy from sweaty palms etc.  I have found a pair of proper racing gloves with leather on the palms, makes for very positive steering control when you're pushing hard, no slip 🙂 

Yep it loves to hold onto DNA. Given it’s synthetic I find it cleans up well with a microfiber towel and a bit of Ammo Lather every time the car is washed. Unlike suede which needs a special cleaner and is it prone to losing colour. My hands are usually pretty clean but I don’t mind race gloves for the road either 😃

30 minutes ago, spiller said:

Given it’s synthetic I find it cleans up well with a microfiber towel and a bit of Ammo Lather every time the car is washed

Good tip, I will look for that AMMO product... I am starting to notice the alcantara has succumb to my sweaty paws a bit. 

On 08/04/2021 at 16:15, edgy said:

Good tip, I will look for that AMMO product... I am starting to notice the alcantara has succumb to my sweaty paws a bit. 

here you go mate (vid below). His products are only available through his website. US shipping bites a bit but worth it if buying a few things. I’m  also a fan of the Hydrate product for drying the car 

Plain old water and microfiber also works ok if it’s not too grubby.

58 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

I have found a pair of proper racing gloves with leather on the palms, makes for very positive steering control when you're pushing hard, no slip 🙂 

Pfft...a pair of $1.95 gloves from a tradie shop last forever mate 👍😁

2 hours ago, spiller said:

Fitted my GT3RS wheel and shift knob today. Amazing how a little bit of alcantara somehow enhances the driving experience. Easy job without too much swearing.

88D74EC6-19C7-4EF6-99FC-F7FB51345D7E.jpeg

9F97892E-5E1A-438E-B965-E04E2CE788F4.jpeg

First thing I did was check the speedo. How dare you drive it so much! And shock horror, you have installed the fire extinguisher 🧐

cars ruined...😆

2 hours ago, spiller said:

here you go mate (vid below). His products are only available through his website. US shipping bites a bit but worth it if buying a few things. I’m a fan of the Hydrate product to for drying the car. 

No worries... guess I could ship it to my good mate in NY and have him consolidate it with some regional 🍺  IPA’s 😉

18 minutes ago, edgy said:

No worries... guess I could ship it to my good mate in NY and have him consolidate it with some regional 🍺  IPA’s 😉

I bet you could claim a work expense in there too 😂

1 hour ago, 901er said:

First thing I did was check the speedo. How dare you drive it so much! And shock horror, you have installed the fire extinguisher 🧐

cars ruined...😆

Yes, the threaded holes in the floor for the fire extinguisher are no longer virgin 😜

Looks great Jason, almost makes me like Speed Yellow! 🙃

Kurt, once its all back together I'll probably sell the 4.0 and will ping you.

Here's a few more pics of progress. Glad you guys are adding more content, the for sale thread is just not enough GT3 action !😁

IMG_4041.jpg

IMG_4042-1.jpg

IMG_4046.jpg

IMG_4047.jpg