Cayman GT4 RS

Grimmy

I've had some history at PI with our feathered friends! Double bird strike on the main straight at over 200kmh... I've also been to a track day there where a 997 turbo wiped out it's front screen at approx 240kmh approaching the braking zone for turn 1. 

If it's not wildlife, it's wayward vehicles or panels at the island... Never a dull moment! 

image000000 (1).jpg

On 28/03/2024 at 18:04, WGA said:

Road kill at 200kph. Hit a pesky Cape Barren Goose at the end of the PI main straight at 200kph! I count my lucky stars because the damage could have been a whole lot worse. As it turned out it's mostly cosmetic. No damage to radiators, etc. Whew!

Boof Road Kill.mov

IMG_4707.jpeg

Watching that video brings back memories... One year I was the very next car coming into the turn 1 braking zone after a Nissan GTR R35 race car had just lost all of it's undercarriage panels thanks to some dodgy brake ducting put together by the race team.

Came over the crest at about 250kmh and had a good second to decide how I was going to get to the other side of those panels in 1 piece! My options were to try and go around either way which would have ended in a wreck or go through and pray.

Decided to go heavy on the brakes to put the splitter as close to the ground as possible, positioned the car center to the panels and effectively hit the panels, scooping them off the brake line for those following. Thanks to PPF I was lucky enough to walk away unscathed 🙏🤙

Not a lesson you want to learn at those speeds with a split second to decide. Watching your video reminded me how little time one gets to decide going into that corner! 

On 28/03/2024 at 22:19, sleazius said:

Goose never saw it coming.

Comically, the first thing my wife said after seeing the video was not "how is the car" or "how did you feel"...but was "I hope it didn't have babies in a nest somewhere".

• 4 weeks later...

My 4RS is now on a ship heading down under (woot!)

However, I can't seem to find any factory images as part of "delivery stage 4", even when looking into the my porsche source pages. (e.g. "productionImages" is blank). It's been a few weeks after production has completed so I would assume the images should be appearing by now?

Did any other 4RS owners manage to get factory production images and if so, how long did they take to appear in My Porsche?

All the current 4RSes and Spyder RSes are being produced in Osnabruck whereas the initial 4RS production run was in Zuffenhausen. Osnabruck currently doesn't have any cameras set up to do production images like Zuffenhausen, thus both your 4RS and my SRS have no photos :(

BTW When did your 4RS's ship leave port?

1 hour ago, gallium said:

My 4RS is now on a ship heading down under (woot!)

However, I can't seem to find any factory images as part of "delivery stage 4", even when looking into the my porsche source pages. (e.g. "productionImages" is blank). It's been a few weeks after production has completed so I would assume the images should be appearing by now?

Did any other 4RS owners manage to get factory production images and if so, how long did they take to appear in My Porsche?

I got images from the production line of my car but it wasn't until well after production was complete. So you may still get them.

.....however, Porsche shifted production of the 718 platform to Onsabruck in Austria last year. Not sure if it was all production or if some production stayed in Stuttgart. You can tell where it was built from the VIN number which I assume you already have. If there is a "S" in the VIN, it's Stuttgart. If there is a "K", it's Onsabruck.

If it is an Onsabruck build, then AFAIK, it is not equipped with the cameras to take photos of the cars on the production line and match them with the VIN,.....which means that people don't get production line photos of Onsabruck cars.....but I could e wrong on this.

3 hours ago, Spartan said:

Mines on a ship and just left Sth Africa for Australia, still no pics so I think the above ⬆️ reply seems very accurate. My mates’ 3RS’ recently all got pics! 😢 

Curious about your VIN. Does it have a "K" in it?

3 hours ago, Spartan said:

IMG_3587.jpeg

OK, it is an Onsabruck built car.

My VIN has

ZPS (Z=ROW car, P= Model year 2023, S=Factory Stuttgart)

whereas you have

ZRK (Z=ROW car, R=Model year 2024, K=Factory Onsabruck)

Going a bit off topic, but why do a lot of people blur out the VIN of their car when they post things online? I was a bit surprised when Nik/Spartan just screenshotted the whole VIN, but then I realised I have no idea what is wrong with doing that.

Also is the Porsche factory Onsabruck or Osnabruck? I thought it was Osnabruck, but @WGA you are usually quite detail focussed (eg Carrara White Metallic) and have me questioning myself...

12 minutes ago, Ian718 said:

Going a bit off topic, but why do a lot of people blur out the VIN of their car when they post things online? I was a bit surprised when Nik/Spartan just screenshotted the whole VIN, but then I realised I have no idea what is wrong with doing that.

Also is the Porsche factory Onsabruck or Osnabruck? I thought it was Osnabruck, but @WGA you are usually quite detail focussed (eg Carrara White Metallic) and have me questioning myself...

Multiple typos on my behalf. Yes, its Osnabruck.

Oh, and I also have no idea why people blur out their VIN codes.

6 hours ago, Ian718 said:

Going a bit off topic, but why do a lot of people blur out the VIN of their car when they post things online?

It's generally to avoid scammers using/copying the car's ID - In a similar way to obscuring Number plates. The scum that plan to scam people, will use anyone else’s genuine ID to pretend they own that car to solicit a buyer in a fraudulent sale. 

1 hour ago, luzzo said:

It's generally to avoid scammers using/copying the car's ID - In a similar way to obscuring Number plates. The scum that plan to scam people, will use anyone else’s genuine ID to pretend they own that car to solicit a buyer in a fraudulent sale. 

Yep, very common practise for rebirthing stolen cars. They steal a car, then transfer the VIN plate from a wrecked one they bought 'legitimately' cheap. Most end up interstate or overseas

I had given up hope of an allocation but got the call last week. Had made myself forget about it so as to not be disappointed, now I’m going to have to start seriously thinking about colour / weissach vs not (always thought not personally, but will I worry I’m missing out…). Good decisions to have to make!!

55 minutes ago, Arrow29 said:

I had given up hope of an allocation but got the call last week. Had made myself forget about it so as to not be disappointed, now I’m going to have to start seriously thinking about colour / weissach vs not (always thought not personally, but will I worry I’m missing out…). Good decisions to have to make!!

Congrats. Everyone who wants one will probably end up getting one because they are making a shit load of these things.

There is a guy in the US who has access to VINs and pretty diligently logs the productions numbers. As of April 1st this year, they have made in excess of 5,000 4RSs with another 18months of production to go...at least. By the end of production it should be somewhere between 7-8000 cars. That will make it close to the highest production model of the 718 range.

Image14.jpg.bb520b6620c93c35f572ed90dc0874a9.jpg

My VIN has a K in it so no build photos for me... :(

Thanks folks, that clears things up!

4 hours ago, Arrow29 said:

That's great news! What is the target build month for your allocation?

3 hours ago, WGA said:

Congrats. Everyone who wants one will probably end up getting one because they are making a shit load of these things.

Sounds like it! Not great for resale, but I great for enthusiasts.

I never got an email or link to check the status of my order! Where did you guys get it from? Is there a website I can register with?

14 hours ago, Ectopic said:

Sounds like it! Not great for resale, but I great for enthusiasts.

I never got an email or link to check the status of my order! Where did you guys get it from? Is there a website I can register with?

I’m pretty sure the dealer emails you an order number you have to enter in the app.