Cayman GT4 RS

Grimmy

5 hours ago, gallium said:

Thanks for sharing that, it’s very close!

I was never planning on going for black as upkeep is a royal pain (PPF is a must) and I do love a good metallic finish, but I just couldn’t get over the carbon bonnet looking like a bolt on when going with the weissach pack. Other than PTS, the only standard colour that best integrates the bonnet with the car is black to make it look more cohesive. It would have been nice to be able to have the bonnet painted as a free weissach option like on the Spyder RS.

I’m planning to go with the standard dark grey wheels to add just a bit of contrast and better match the carbon bits. I think those black wheels get lost in a sea of black and are better suited to lighter paint colours.

Curiousity question. Why didn't you just go with a non-WP car and save yourself a whole lot of money given you don't like the main element of the WP?

5 hours ago, WGA said:

Curiousity question. Why didn't you just go with a non-WP car and save yourself a whole lot of money given you don't like the main element of the WP?

You make a valid point. A bonnet stripe helps reduce this to some extent and you are quite right that a non-WP would remove this effect altogether. I appreciate that many customers actually like the contrast difference between the bonnet and fenders, and that this is a personal taste thing.

I suspect that Porsche had some similar feedback to mine post release of the coupe, and hence decided to offer WP with a painted bonnet no cost option on the Spyder RS.

It's all about trade offs. I quite like all the carbon bits and interior trim changes that the weissach pack offers so adapted the paint colour to best match the carbon bonnet of the WP.

1 hour ago, gallium said:

You make a valid point. A bonnet stripe helps reduce this to some extent and you are quite right that a non-WP would remove this effect altogether. I appreciate that many customers actually like the contrast difference between the bonnet and fenders, and that this is a personal taste thing.

I suspect that Porsche had some similar feedback to mine post release of the coupe, and hence decided to offer WP with a painted bonnet no cost option on the Spyder RS.

It's all about trade offs. I quite like all the carbon bits and interior trim changes that the weissach pack offers so adapted the paint colour to best match the carbon bonnet of the WP.

Fair enough. We will now have the same rides - 4RS and Emira.

2 hours ago, WGA said:

Fair enough. We will now have the same rides - 4RS and Emira.

Indeed, it seems quite popular to have both cars for some reason. I can only dream of having the cars in your garage though!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all, I’ve had a great time with the car! 

I prefer to go in with it well priced off the bat rather than have it sit and reduce over time. I’m getting the same alerts for lots of cars right now. 

5 hours ago, edgy said:

Real nice spec!

I'm keen to try one at some point 

I know one you can try out for a minor fee. 996 RS swap? 😂 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Panda.RS said:

Out of curiosity, anyone have any idea how many 4RSs have been delivered in Australia so far?

Well over 100 and probably closer to 200 by now. They are pumping them out.

I’d say in excess of 200. The goal was 7000, they mentioned It at their AGM. They also brought in a similar number of the previous generation GT4s, and it felt like half the forum had one at the time.

It won’t matter a lick how many they sold, in 5-7 years you’ll struggle to get a good one. 

19 minutes ago, sleazius said:

It won’t matter a lick how many they sold, in 5-7 years you’ll struggle to get a good one. 

Interesting view and opposite to what I expected.  Porsches if serviced seem to me to be well engineered and last really well.  

With them being readily available (take your pick from 15 second hand being listed tonight and it keeps growing) what’s the thought behind that?    

4 minutes ago, mc968cs said:

Interesting view and opposite to what I expected.  Porsches if serviced seem to me to be well engineered and last really well.  

With them being readily available (take your pick from 15 second hand being listed tonight and it keeps growing) what’s the thought behind that?    

I mean that getting one in a decent spec that isn’t white, black, or silver, will be very difficult in 5-7 years time from now. Also over time the number of cars on the market decreases. Plus the better optioned cars are the ones that people tend to hang onto.

If white is your poison more power! But I’ll wrap anything white.

This wasn’t a reliability dig in any shape or form. 

4 hours ago, mc968cs said:

I reckon some people buy an RS for bragging rights and then decide too harsh or too noisy for taking the wife to lunch on a Sunday.  I’ve read garbage on FB about guys needing to wear earplugs and complaining about the ride.  Seriously………exhaust closed and cruising revs it’s not noisy at all.  And the ride is fine……it’s an RS, I’d be disappointed if it was comfy and quiet.  It’s all relative.

Some people need to admit that they actually desire a 996 cab for winery runs rather than an RS……..so Carsales beckons🤣.    

It feels like about 30% were bought to flip or on a whim because money was cheap.

You're absolutely right though, the contingent that needed to win cars and coffee should have bought a Turbo S, but the internet told them that the RS (GT4/3) was the most desirable.

7 hours ago, DJM said:

I reckon some people buy an RS for bragging rights and then decide too harsh or too noisy for taking the wife to lunch on a Sunday.  I’ve read garbage on FB about guys needing to wear earplugs and complaining about the ride.  Seriously………exhaust closed and cruising revs it’s not noisy at all.  And the ride is fine……it’s an RS, I’d be disappointed if it was comfy and quiet.  It’s all relative.

Some people need to admit that they actually desire a 996 cab for winery runs rather than an RS……..so Carsales beckons🤣.    

Totally agreed, car is super easy to get along with at cruising speeds.  I drove mine to bathurst after a bunch of serious rain last year, front axle lift over some potholes was all that was required.  It has carplay and good a/c.  What else do you need.  That and the fact its then a weapon on track!

9 hours ago, DJM said:

I’ve read garbage on FB about guys needing to wear earplugs and complaining about the ride.

Well it is 2024, so I imagine mummy and daddy will just pat their little heads and tell them everything will be ok 🙄

2 hours ago, cafe_racer said:

Totally agreed, car is super easy to get along with at cruising speeds.  I drove mine to bathurst after a bunch of serious rain last year, front axle lift over some potholes was all that was required.  It has carplay and good a/c.  What else do you need.  That and the fact its then a weapon on track!

I have just been quoted over $4,500 by PCB for a set of Manthey pads for my 4RS.  Do you mind telling where you got yours and what you paid for them?

For manthey pads and lines I was charged $5200 inc fitment. 

set of pads was $1578 front and $1380 rear. 

I found the MR pads a bit noisy so was going to pop a set of pagid RS29’s in to replace them once worn. 

6 hours ago, WGA said:

I have just been quoted over $4,500 by PCB for a set of Manthey pads for my 4RS.  Do you mind telling where you got yours and what you paid for them?

Wowsers, didn’t realise gold was good for friction material.  Utterly ridiculous.

On 01/03/2024 at 19:33, DJM said:

Wowsers, didn’t realise gold was good for friction material.  Utterly ridiculous.

Yeah, I didn't ask price, may have said no if I was smart enough to ask prior.