Cayman GT4 RS

Grimmy

9 minutes ago, cafe_racer said:

Pretty interesting, it's cool.  But also, why not just get a track car at the point of adding the above (which would be $100k in Aust at a guess?) by that point you are into the car for near $500k.  

Never underestimate the $$$ someone will spend to gain 0.01 sec. :lol:

13 hours ago, WGA said:

In the first 5 mins or so, he highlights what he thinks are the weaknesses of the 4RS and what SSR have done to correct them. And more comments at the 16:30 mark after the 1st lap and  then again at 27:00 mark after the 2nd lap are also interesting.

Around the 13:00 mark is interesting as some shitbox cuts across his nose.  That was close…..

8 hours ago, SS 3 said:

It really surprises how many people are searching for better handling characteristics from the 4RS straight out of the box. Has Porsche (GT Dept) not developed the suspension adequately for the RS package or is it something else?

If they gave us fancy wishbones, the 911 might lose the throne 🤷‍♂️so we make do with struts 😂

8 hours ago, SS 3 said:

It really surprises how many people are searching for better handling characteristics from the 4RS straight out of the box. Has Porsche (GT Dept) not developed the suspension adequately for the RS package or is it something else?

Gotta have something to blame for people's driving inadequacies 😁

Im sure most owners won't be pushing a 4RS to it's limits, yet like any sports car or bike there's a base setting and refine it as you go, as we all have different driving styles, yet some people just can't help themselves and throw money at it 😁

Mine has finally made it off the boat and to PCM for delivery in a day or two 😁, so about a week from the boat berthing to getting it to the dealership, which I'm pretty grateful for.  Thanks for the tips that alleviated the impatience and helped me know where the car actually was!

image.jpeg

IMG_0626.JPEG

IMG_0629.JPEG

Out of curiosity, what tyres are delivered on the 4RS from factory. I've seen both Dunlops and Michelins in various photos. Is this region specific or simply whatever the factory has in stock at the time (luck of the draw)?

I'd really prefer Michelin Cup2s on mine.

On a separate issue, I think I’ve gone too far with the camber. 3.4 degrees front and 3.1 rear.

I couldn’t even touch the inside of the rears after a few laps because they were that hot, with the outsides being noticeably less hot. And I’m struggling to turn hard or fast enough to touch the last 5mm (the very edge of the tread) on the outside of the tyres.

car is driven between home and track, nowhere else at this point. So, leave as is and find some new lines/cornering speed, or dial back to say 3 and 2.5?

37 minutes ago, Porschefan29 said:

On a separate issue, I think I’ve gone too far with the camber. 3.4 degrees front and 3.1 rear.

I couldn’t even touch the inside of the rears after a few laps because they were that hot, with the outsides being noticeably less hot. And I’m struggling to turn hard or fast enough to touch the last 5mm (the very edge of the tread) on the outside of the tyres.

car is driven between home and track, nowhere else at this point. So, leave as is and find some new lines/cornering speed, or dial back to say 3 and 2.5?

A pyrometer tells all- but also doing pressures and temps are only accurate after a hot lap and not done by the driver , if you do a cool down and temps and pressures done by the driver it won’t be accurate. 

Time will tell with wear of course but it’s all a compromise- 3.5/3 for a road car at track isn’t going to be ideal for road. Maybe decide how much time on track and how much time on road you’re spending and go from there- back it off if you’re on road more. 

1 hour ago, Porschefan29 said:

Depends on the track you are driving a bit right? I’m not good at this stuff but noticed I was wearing them a lot faster at PI vs sandown so far as tyre temps on the shoulders. 

• 3 weeks later...