Cayman GT4 RS

Grimmy

8 hours ago, chuckay said:

As soon as its run in ill hit the track. Anyone got a copy of the Australian run in procedure/kms?

Dealer told me to keep it under 7000rpm for 1500km.  I followed the Preuninger method, 5000rpm max for 500km then added 500 rpms every 150km or so before full beans 9000rpm after 1500km.

I had the oil and filter changed just after 1500km.  Not required by Porsche but makes sense to me.

I can only tell you how I personally do it, or how we do it at Weissach – for the first 500 kilometres or 300 miles, we don’t drive that car car ever over 5000 rpm, never. From then on, every 200 kilometres, we up the rpms by 500, so we end up at 1300, 1400 kilometres at the threshold before we can really go full throttle, at 800 or 900 miles.  He then went on that this procedure was really important for the GT3 RS engines given their more «delicate rings - and how important this break in really is for any of their engines.

Exactly what I followed 

4 hours ago, DJM said:

I can only tell you how I personally do it, or how we do it at Weissach – for the first 500 kilometres or 300 miles, we don’t drive that car car ever over 5000 rpm, never. From then on, every 200 kilometres, we up the rpms by 500, so we end up at 1300, 1400 kilometres at the threshold before we can really go full throttle, at 800 or 900 miles.  He then went on that this procedure was really important for the GT3 RS engines given their more «delicate rings - and how important this break in really is for any of their engines.

15 hours ago, DJM said:

Dealer told me to keep it under 7000rpm for 1500km.  I followed the Preuninger method, 5000rpm max for 500km then added 500 rpms every 150km or so before full beans 9000rpm after 1500km.

I had the oil and filter changed just after 1500km.  Not required by Porsche but makes sense to me.

Very helpful. If it comes from AP then good enough for me. Thank you.

Why do people feel compelled to ignore the running in recommendations in the manual which are very generous IMHO.    Max 7000rpm for first 1,500kms!

You even get a prompt in dashboard screen to follow the instructions every time you start the car under 1500kms.

Everybody quotes AP but his was a generalised recommendation made a few years ago regarding a different car and is less generous than the manual.

image.thumb.jpeg.2b04c8e78aff05958ede7a6ea17d3812.jpeg

img_7834_91ada4a09becc4e234a31b351ad1e66d41c8965d.jpg

10 hours ago, WGA said:

Why do people feel compelled to ignore the running in recommendations in the manual which are very generous IMHO.    Max 7000rpm for first 1,500kms!

You even get a prompt in dashboard screen to follow the instructions every time you start the car under 1500kms.

Everybody quotes AP but his was a generalised recommendation made a few years ago regarding a different car and is less generous than the manual.

image.thumb.jpeg.2b04c8e78aff05958ede7a6ea17d3812.jpeg

img_7834_91ada4a09becc4e234a31b351ad1e66d41c8965d.jpg

Thank you. This is why I asked for a copy of it, I don't have my car yet so don't have a copy of the manual. 7000rpm is awesome. GT4 only went to 7800rpm so that's not even missing much

On 13/10/2023 at 09:47, WGA said:

- some guys overseas have manuals that say 3,000km run in and 4,000rpm limit 😲  Apparently Porsche issued a correction to say 1,500km is correct - never trust a printed manual 😂

- AP advice is more conservative with 5k not 7k limit initially.  Doesn’t make much difference, particularly if you smash out the kms in a day or 2

- AP provides detail on how you build up from 5,000 to 9,000, the manual doesn’t - so it is 7000rpm all the way to 1,500km then 9,000rpm?

- I didn’t get any “run-in program” messages on the dash, not once

probably immaterial whichever way you do it 🤷‍♂️ 

@WGA I assume you didn’t change oil after run in given that’s not in the manual?  That just seems strange to me so I changed it as a precaution.

IMG_1657.jpeg

I notice in the picture above it states miles first with kms in brackets so this is likely a photo from a U.S.A. manual where they have always published very conservative run-in numbers compared to ROW due to their extremely litigious nature.

Strange. I got an “observe run in’ message on my dash every time I started the car. It magically disappeared after 1,500kms.

Correct, I didnt change oil after run-in. Indeed, still has the original oil 3,500 kms in. 

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a42347494/ultimate-porsche-boxster-break-in/

I honestly believe if Porsche put in writing no more than 7k for the first 1500kms then free to let it run, and no oil change required until the recommended interval all will be fine.

From there it’s up to you and what ever you feel comfortable with as I said I felt more comfortable with a more conservative approach one that aligned with my understanding. Dropping the oil after the  1500km run in was another process that aligned with my knowledge on the subject. 
At the end of the day your the one who decides and one can’t be frowned upon for running in as per the manufactures manual.

I attached an article from Matt Farrah the smoking tire which outlines another view on the break in process for his Deman 4.5L build.

7 hours ago, WGA said:

I notice in the picture above it states miles first with kms in brackets so this is likely a photo from a U.S.A. manual where they have always published very conservative run-in numbers compared to ROW due to their extremely litigious nature.

Yes, USA, but no, it was not deliberate, it was an error.

IMG_1658.jpeg

Run in periods are complete bullshit designed to save the manufacturers arse incase they made a mistake during manufacturing that causes a failure that ultimately injures or kills the occupants.

They have zero to do with the longevity of the engine.

Either way they're liable, not you under Australian consumer law. As such whether you observe them is up to you.

On 17/10/2023 at 10:36, sleazius said:

Run in periods are complete bullshit designed to save the manufacturers arse incase they made a mistake during manufacturing that causes a failure that ultimately injures or kills the occupants.

Either way they're liable, not you under Australian consumer law. As such whether you observe them is up to you.

Certainly a few of the overseas owners claim to have flogged them off the showroom floor.  For me, a day or 2 of inconvenience running in and an oil change that’s not strictly needed is an old school approach that provides me with peace of mind.   And the anticipation builds slowly as you get through the kms and can finally boot it.

you claim there is no benefit, no need and you might be right, but we’ll never really know.  There is very little downside to running in and it makes me feel like I’m being mechanically sympathetic to a special car 🤷‍♂️. AP also says these engines DO require run in and at Weissach they have their way of doing it.  Perhaps you don’t believe him but again, little downside so why not…..

And I don’t fancy taking Porsche to court to argue for an engine replacement because I thought I knew better and ignored the run in advice that’s in the manual and advised by the dealer.

On 17/10/2023 at 14:57, chuckay said:

Here is a picture I have taken the manual which came with my car. Also asked my dealer yesterday during delivery if an oil change at 1500kms was needed, the reply from the service manager was not to worry about it

2023-10-17 14.48.34.jpg

same as mine, same as @WGA posted above on Friday.  Dealer also told me oil change not needed but that most owners do it anyway, as a precaution.

At the end of the day, each to their own…….Do what feels right for you.

16 minutes ago, DJM said:

C

same as mine, same as @WGA posted above on Friday.  Dealer also told me oil change not needed but that most owners do it anyway, as a precaution.

Well, you do have to get that dirty import oil out of the system and replaced with clean, locally delivered oil 🤪

Did anyone see where the bidding got to today for the 4RS on collecting cars? 

Just now, HWY said:

Did anyone see where the bidding got to today for the 4RS on collecting cars? 

It was at $217k with 4 hours to go but I had to leave the office.

The other reason for run in periods is to scare the customer into driving it steady until the customer is familiar with the vehicle before they open it up.  I have a number of engineering mates who work in the auto industry.  For their own cars they drive em like they stole em off the showroom floor.    Doing it properly will improve the engine life and reduce life time oil consumption.  Most engine builders do similar.  Wait till warm and then do pulls.  Change oil after about 200km of that.

4 hours ago, Gnrnr said:

The other reason for run in periods is to scare the customer into driving it steady until the customer is familiar with the vehicle before they open it up.  I have a number of engineering mates who work in the auto industry.  For their own cars they drive em like they stole em off the showroom floor.    Doing it properly will improve the engine life and reduce life time oil consumption.  Most engine builders do similar.  Wait till warm and then do pulls.  Change oil after about 200km of that.

Spot on.

"This precision machine that we've built somehow will be more precise if you baby it for an arbitrary amount of time" - absolute rubbish.

Anyway, if you want to do it more power to you, I just hate misinformation in general.

On 29/10/2023 at 08:28, chuckay said:

Picked this up from PPF yesterday and ready for some kms. Wrapped the roof in carbon to match the hood and wing, and added some custom blue 992 3RS style decals to match the wheels.

2023-10-28 10.40.17.jpg

2023-10-28 10.51.46.jpg

2023-10-28 10.52.08.jpg

I was going to wrap the roof in carbon but wasn't 100% sure so i didn't.  It looks really good!

I have been told the same thing from a top engine builder. Race engines, beyond the first 20 mins bedding in the rings and an initial oil change, get flogged out of the box. It makes no difference to the engine. That said, if I had invested a huge amount of money on one of these cars, I would still probably play the game, even though in my head I know it is bollocks.

• 4 weeks later...
On 29/10/2023 at 05:28, chuckay said:

Picked this up from PPF yesterday and ready for some kms. Wrapped the roof in carbon to match the hood and wing, and added some custom blue 992 3RS style decals to match the wheels.

2023-10-28 10.40.17.jpg

2023-10-28 10.51.46.jpg

2023-10-28 10.52.08.jpg

Looks amazing! We need to see more pictures of your roof :)

• 1 month later...