My insurance research...

Tricky

I thought I would post some details from my recent insurance research, which turned into a bit of an epic quest, in case it is of use to anyone else on PFA. For a while, I didn't think I was going to find any reasonable quotes and that I might have to ask for my deposit back...

The car:

2019 Porsche 992 Carrera S MY20 PDK with $72k in options. Cost $400k when new.

Bought used from a dealer for $310k plus $17k stamp duty = $327k, so this was my target Agreed Value.

Garaged at night and in secure undercover office parking during the day, both Brisbane.

The drivers:

Myself - age 50. In past 3 years: 2 lots of 1 point for low range speeding, one insurance claim for stone chipped windscreen. Rating 1 for life.

Wife - age 50. In past 3 years: no points, one 'not at fault' written off car (all the insurers said this would have no impact as not at fault)

Contacted direct:

Brokers

Insurers accessible via brokers only

Pretty easy decision in the end to go with MB Insurance. My only concern being that there is little competition out there in future years...

Now the agonizing wait for the car to be transported up to Brisbane :)

Thank you for sharing your research.

Once again being annoyed at Shannons yearly automatic drop in the "agreed" value and raise in premium funnily enough recently I got a quote from MB! My quote was certainly competitive.

In the next week I was intending to go deeper with other providers/brokers etc however you have most likely saved me the effort!

2 hours ago, Grimmy said:

Thank you for sharing your research.

Once again being annoyed at Shannons yearly automatic drop in the "agreed" value and raise in premium

That must be for later model cars, as Shannons have upped my air cooled agreed value by $10k without me knowing about it, and no increase in premium

Bit of feedback,

my insurance is due 6/12/22, 991.2 S, Llow ks, one owner. I was with Mb in 2019, 2020, premium kept going up as the car got older??? Changed to Ryno for 2021/22. Just had 3 quotes, Ryno, Shannons, MB. MB are now $700 cheaper for exactly the same agreed value/excess, go figure, you have to shop around IMHO.

2 hours ago, KERMIT said:

Have any of you looking for Insurance quotes ever contacted Lumley?

I did actually, though I didn't mention it in my summary above... I called Lumley and was on hold for 30min then gave up... Maybe I should have been more patient ☺️...

8 hours ago, vl gra said:

I have just gone through all of this with a 2014 Turbo S.

Had quotes from $2135 through to $5500.

Ended up going through RACV with choice of repaier and glass coverage for $2135.

Most of the insurer's were in the 3-4k range.

Quick question about RACV, is they’re agreed value close to replacement cost. They can offer comparable quotes to others but agreed value way lower. 

On 19/11/2022 at 00:30, LeeM said:

That must be for later model cars, as Shannons have upped my air cooled agreed value by $10k without me knowing about it, and no increase in premium

As you haven't been driving it, have you considered laid up insurance? A few of my cars are works in progress and laid up cover is quite a bit cheaper.

This has been an interesting thread, as my Shannons renewal came in today.  I will be doing some comparison shopping for sure - Agreed value for 996.1 C2 dropped by $1 to $69,999, 2013 Boxster by nearly $14k to 56,336 , and my daily Toerag by $10K .  Premium overall marginal increase....

5 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

This has been an interesting thread, as my Shannons renewal came in today.  I will be doing some comparison shopping for sure - Agreed value for 996.1 C2 dropped by $1 to $69,999, 2013 Boxster by nearly $14k to 56,336 , and my daily Toerag by $10K .  Premium overall marginal increase....

Yes, I have struggled with some of my older cars becoming less valuable but the premiums increasing, I questioned a broker & he blamed the underwriter (always someone else’s fault). Definitely need to shop around. In my previous business we had 40+ company cars & the next year’s premium was always based on last year’s claims, I assumed (correctly) that they we’re trying to recoup the previous year’s losses.

Thanks for sharing, that is certainly interesting and telling of the state of affairs with Porsche Insurance underwriters, I thought they were either trying to stick it to me or they've had a shift in risk appetite for high $$ value cars.. glad to see it wasn't just me. 

It definitely pays to look around, and these type of threads are invaluable in expediting your search! 

Cheers @Tricky enjoy the new wheels! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/11/2022 at 21:04, Tricky said:

I thought I would post some details from my recent insurance research, which turned into a bit of an epic quest, in case it is of use to anyone else on PFA. For a while, I didn't think I was going to find any reasonable quotes and that I might have to ask for my deposit back...

The car:

2019 Porsche 992 Carrera S MY20 PDK with $72k in options. Cost $400k when new.

Bought used from a dealer for $310k plus $17k stamp duty = $327k, so this was my target Agreed Value.

Garaged at night and in secure undercover office parking during the day, both Brisbane.

The drivers:

Myself - age 50. In past 3 years: 2 lots of 1 point for low range speeding, one insurance claim for stone chipped windscreen. Rating 1 for life.

Wife - age 50. In past 3 years: no points, one 'not at fault' written off car (all the insurers said this would have no impact as not at fault)

Contacted direct:

Brokers

Insurers accessible via brokers only

Pretty easy decision in the end to go with MB Insurance. My only concern being that there is little competition out there in future years...

Now the agonizing wait for the car to be transported up to Brisbane :)

Very handy reference.  I saved this page for future reference and having just bought a 992 GTS, I’ll start with MB and Ryno and see how I go.  Thanks for posting 👌🏻

Was in at a local Porsche approved body shop yesterday thinking they may repair my work/ family van which got rear ended on Thursday.

Anyhow according to the MB is far more better to deal with than most others when issues arise. They weren’t very complementary of Shannon’s though.

I think certain shops play the game a certain way and have better relationships with one insurer to the next- similar to a lot of businesses.

Battisti doesn’t have a good one with Shannon’s when I used them a couple of years back, other repairers I’ve used have no issue and I’ve found Shannon’s great to deal with. 

My renewal arrived last week with a big jump on one car, I got a quote with MB and it was 500 on top of the Shannon’s increase. With a like for like comparison the excess was different and reflected in the premium, changing that to similar they were still 300 more. 

A small peev was MB was an online quote or print and email only- I always like a verbal quote- question and answer to let them do the typing.