996 vs 968 CS - at the same price which one would you buy ?

9 minutes ago, WB997.2GTS said:

A 911 will always a 911, although I would find the extra $$ and buy a 997

Agree.  Paying $75 for a 996 Tip with > 100,000kms isn't going to fly though, probably CS for rarity would be a better buy, even if it isn't a 911.....

Interesting comparison - one is a drivers car (CS manual) and the other isnt (Base Tip). 

If you need a 911, get one to scratch that itch. But I wouldn't chase a tiptronic. A manual base 3.6 997.1 would be a big jump from the 996 tip, and not a huge amount more money - plus the 3.6 appears much less susceptible to bore scoring  (so says the internet). I have one, and enjoy the the fast revving nature of the smaller engine. 

Tough question what have you had and what are you chasing?

996 are a great package. Classic modernity. Plenty of poke, great handling and the tiptronic is plenty of fun. 

968 rare beast and different in power and handling- in the right hands will keep a 996 in the rear view. More a classic but not many into them in the scheme of things. 

Both are at the age that things will require refurbishment/replacement. 

Do you want to be going to cars and coffee for a pose? Do you car what others think? There are haters of 996 and folk that don’t know what a 968 is. 
It’s like a 996 is the underdog of 911’s and the 968 is an underdog of Porsche.

Great that you are tossing up between these two I say. Tough call. 

My vote is the 968CS. 

Collectible, manual and the last of the old school Porsche engine metallurgy that with care will swallow a lot of KM.

And people generally have no clue what it is or how old it is so the curiosity factor is a plus!

7 hours ago, edgy said:

Another vote for the 968 Clubsport, I actually use to own that particular car... sold it in 2017, feel free to PM me if you have any questions, doesn't look to have had too much use since then! 

IMG_4938.thumb.JPG.7046f5c8d3a3de5974aa8c48f1151671.JPG

Nice one. I will flick you a PM 

6 hours ago, Burgerman said:

Nice car, however this one does not have the clamshell seats.

How much is this one? I can’t see a price on it? 

Evening All

Thanks for the insights. One thing to add is I do have a manual E92 M3 which I think provides a similar modern classic driving experience provided by a 996 / 997 (hence buying one there is probably some duplication there which isn’t my preference). Bang for your buck these are hard to beat and I won’t be getting rid of it anytime soon 

Having  had a few air cooled 911s in manual (964, 930) and a tip (993) I think it’s the manual box I would want. I’ve also had a few 944S2s in my time and I do like them. The fact the 968 CS is genuinely rare and has a lot of all round useability / reliability etc about it also appeals……. I also quite like hustling revvy NA cars these days and not fussed about it being the fastest thing around. Flat handling and go kart feel more than makes up for it. 

16 minutes ago, Big Unit 00 said:

Nice one. I will flick you a PM 

How much is this one? I can’t see a price on it? 

Evening All

Thanks for the insights. One thing to add is I do have a manual E92 M3 which I think provides a similar modern classic driving experience provided by a 996 / 997 (hence buying one there is probably some duplication there which isn’t my preference). Bang for your buck these are hard to beat and I won’t be getting rid of it anytime soon 

Having  had a few air cooled 911s in manual (964, 930) and a tip (993) I think it’s the manual box I would want. I’ve also had a few 944S2s in my time and I do like them. The fact the 968 CS is genuinely rare and has a lot of all round useability / reliability etc about it also appeals……. I also quite like hustling revvy NA cars these days and not fussed about it being the fastest thing around. Flat handling and go kart feel more than makes up for it. 

You’d have to contact the owner as they didn’t list a price in the listing 

2 hours ago, Yeatesy said:

You’d have to contact the owner as they didn’t list a price in the listing 

Hate it when sellers go on a fishing expedition... Rather they list a price with a little fat for the expected haggling and go from there.

On 01/03/2024 at 21:40, Dalai said:

Hate it when sellers go on a fishing expedition... Rather they list a price with a little fat for the expected haggling and go from there.

This particular owner (although a nice guy) is somewhat difficult to deal with. I made him an offer of $130K a couple of years ago (yep too much by today's standards) which he refused.

He believed he had a car that would sell for much higher in the "global market" and then consigned it with CTS at around $150K. It then languished there for six months or so before it was removed from sale.