What 911 to buy with a $180k-$200k budget

4 hours ago, 911 said:

I think you perfectly summed up the way I feel! David said the same thing in other words. I'm trying not to be biased owning a 3.2, because I don't want to be held liable later on if he regrets the 996, but it seems most of us reading above have had to decide between 996 GT3 and aircooled and have gone aircooled. 

Makes me think the 996 GT3 is like a one night stand after a few too many drinks, you'd happily spend a night with her, but you'd be out of there the next day for a home cooked meal from your air cooled car 😂

As most know here, I've been on and off with selling my backdate to buy a 996 for 3 years or more, and even more recently looking at sub $30k GTR's, yet although a 996 is a cracking car I just can't do it, as I know I'll never be able to own an air cooled again unless there's a big lotto win.

And yes, I know very well from experience many moons ago the 'Chew your own arm off so as to not wake her up in the morning' one night stands, so sometimes it's definitely better to go with what you know.

Get him an air cooled 👍

996 GT3 has 265kw or 355hp, and is 1350kg. Whilst it is no slouch, its hardly too fast for the road.

The biggest issues for road use are probably if you go for a clubsport, the single mass flywheel (although for me adds to the charm) - and the lack of traction and stability control can make the car a handful in the wet.

No wrong answers however, each to their own and all that.

Current values and speculative values aside, I currently have a mildly hot early 2.0L 911, a medium hot 3.0L and have previously owned a 996.1 GT3 CS, a 996.2 GT3 RS & a 964 C2 man coupe. 

They are all great cars and each have their pros & cons. 

Many people don’t get 996 GT3’s and that’s ok. They are the Porsche worlds best kept secret - they are seriously the best value for money Porsche you can currently buy.  I also love the way they look. They are a definitive and very special Porsche Motorsport derived car, hard to get any AC 911 to compare. 

My 2 cents. 

Makes me laugh, the discussion of air cooled character vs “boring modern” and techno fest nonsense .  You realise a 996 GT3 is a 25 year old car yeah?  With little to no driver aids.  Brimming with character and they look and sound fantastic.  But no, buy an old shitter because you want “character”.  I had a 964C2 manual, what a yawn fest that was, heavy and slow is my memory of the short time I owned it.  To even suggest it’s “better” than a 6GT3 is laughable.

Even a new GT4RS is full of character and makes me laugh out loud every time I drive it and yes you can enjoy sensibly on the road.  And if you’re crazy enough, turn the systems off……🤷‍♂️

having said that, I’m heading down the air cooled path again as well with a peppy little 2.5L short stroke motor currently being built for my 914-6.  It’s very light (950kg or so) and with low 200hp, I’m expecting it to be a hoot on a mountain road.

But I won’t give up my GT4RS for it 🤷‍♂️

The right answer is clearly anything mid engined 😂

but seriously, GT3 for the win, all day long.

The beauty of the 911 platform is its range. There is something for everyone. Go drive a few and pick the one you like. 

I get 996 GT3”s but every time I’ve come close to buying one the headlights and the interior puts me off.  I get why people like G50 3.2’s, although after owning close to 50 different P cars, my former 89 G50 is still the dullest one I ever had. 

I love the early bumper cars, especially with a little tickle up in the engine bay. That said, I get why some people think they are just old bangers.  And why people pay $1M+ to make later cars kinda look like them (you need to squint). 

There is no rhyme or reason and you will never convince someone to like what you like. (I’m looking at you G50 guys, give it a rest…)

Ps. I also like 80’s era slant noses so feel free to ignore / ridicule the above.

1 hour ago, OBRUT said:

I get 996 GT3”s but every time I’ve come close to buying one the headlights

1 hour ago, OBRUT said:

I also like 80’s era slant noses

One of us, one of us, one of us! 😈

5 hours ago, OBRUT said:

And why people pay $1M+ to make later cars kinda look like them (you need to squint). 

There is no rhyme or reason and you will never convince someone to like what you like. (I’m looking at you G50 guys, give it a rest…)

Amen. 

20 hours ago, Peter John said:

So much 996 hate- I love it. I love it when folks pay too much for older cars that don’t do things as well as newer- cheaper for those that are in the know. 

Without getting into a game of chicken with a hair-cooled and a 996 we have to always remember there really isn’t a bad model, and they got better as they went. 

Some fall into the trap of paying high because the previous guy did, some are also so tight they say they are holding out, and often never get to buy as they are still holding out for the market to crap itself.

Your vintage (birth year) and interest will determine your taste most often. I didn’t see hair-cooled driving around back when I was younger, I saw 996’s so that’s my nostalgia. Just like traditional aussies (bogans) paying drug money for poor handling passenger cars (holdens) it’s the nostalgia that inflates the price. 

If you want bragging rights and love to pose and talk values at your local cars and lattes maybe jump on the band wagon. We all have a vision so I say go with that. But if you are Porsche Curious only way you can really do it is buy it and use it for 6 months and see how you feel. 

They’re all great. 

I don't think anyone is disputing that the 996 GT3 doesn't drive better. It obviously is the new and improved model.

For me the headlights and interior kill it and I do prefer the look of my aircooled car. Just something about a classic Porsche and you're right, when you think about it, they're 25 years old. They are a classic Porsche, yet people are paying big money for reimagined cars long hoods. I wouldn't even call it nostalgic, as I know quite a few people in their 30's that had 996/997 GT3 RS pin-ups on their wall, myself included and here I am driving an aircooled car. 

They look and feel very different and it's not always about what's the best performer. I'd honestly definately have a 996 GT3 in the garage aswell as my car if funds permitted, but if it came down to choosing only one. I'd take my 3.2. Just me though. Some people I know look at it and wouldn't think they're worth $25k lead alone whst people are paying now, so all subjective.. 

5 hours ago, OBRUT said:

The beauty of the 911 platform is its range. There is something for everyone. Go drive a few and pick the one you like. 

I get 996 GT3”s but every time I’ve come close to buying one the headlights and the interior puts me off.  I get why people like G50 3.2’s, although after owning close to 50 different P cars, my former 89 G50 is still the dullest one I ever had. 

I love the early bumper cars, especially with a little tickle up in the engine bay. That said, I get why some people think they are just old bangers.  And why people pay $1M+ to make later cars kinda look like them (you need to squint). 

Ps. I also like 80’s era slant noses so feel free to ignore / ridicule the above.

I've got a G50 car and I love it. I've driven SC's and a couple of good (not great) early 3.2s with the 915 and a couple of 964s. I'm 34, so I never really got into the longhoods, or the 356's and 993's don't do it for me at all as a base model. I'd take a Carrera S though, but can't stretch that much. Sometimes I think maybe I should habe bought a 964 instead, but I've never regretted not buying the 996 GT3. 

The 964 C2 felt (for me) more dull than my G50 and the SC felt very revvy and lively, but I wasn't a big fan of the CIS. I liked the idea of owning the last of the impact bumpers, which basically spanned 15 years. Really they're all quite similar though, with how old they are it's more condition than the model..

My mate loves his 964 though and has driven my car and prefers his, so everyone likes what they like. 

I have almost bought a 996 GT3 twice, but just couldn't fall on love with them. Exact reasons as yourself. Headlights, imterior and something about the whole exterior itself that I don't like, but you know what they say. Opinions are like a$$holes, everyone's got one. 

Buy what you like. 

My mate put a deplskt down on the 964 this morning, subject to a check on the motor (leak down I think), so that's that. 

Thanks everyone!

17 hours ago, hugh said:

Current values and speculative values aside, I currently have a mildly hot early 2.0L 911, a medium hot 3.0L and have previously owned a 996.1 GT3 CS, a 996.2 GT3 RS & a 964 C2 man coupe. 

They are all great cars and each have their pros & cons. 

Many people don’t get 996 GT3’s and that’s ok. They are the Porsche worlds best kept secret - they are seriously the best value for money Porsche you can currently buy.  I also love the way they look. They are a definitive and very special Porsche Motorsport derived car, hard to get any AC 911 to compare. 

My 2 cents. 

So the Mk1 was Hot and the Mk2 Extra Hot then

Markets shows what is sort after. 

Out of the above options, if all cars identical and say have 100,000kms

1. 964 C2

2. G50 3.2

3. 996 GT3

Everyone likes what they like, but supply and demand is supply and demand. I would prefer a 996 GT3 to an R34 GTR Vspecs, but market does not agree with me. If demand is there you pay the price.

Congratulations for buying the car he will love it.