Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

I have regretted not buying this very car and hence why I jumped onto this so quickly, unfortunately not quick enough though. Only a few of these cars have hit the market in the last 1-2 years and again good ones are almost becoming extinct!

Tit got one of the last ones - that was on the market for some time not so long ago......................how things are changing!

High, yep, you should have bought mine! Problem was I knew you by that time and couldn't have you pay what someone else might! (PeterM I think you are referring to my car - red 964c2 ex South Africa bought from Perth late 2013, sold on early 2014). I jumped on that quickly seller accepted 51k. He had advertised at 65k and over time dropped to 55k. he also had a heap of calls but honoured my offer. On selling, my experience was at $65k lots of calls and people wanting to chat but only one guy really serious paid $63k. I wasn't speculating, just turned out it wasn't right for what I wanted and was lucky enough to flip it for a profit (first car ever to add to my wallet!). Having said that, I spent maybe 7k putting several things right so hardly a big money spinner but happy with the deal.

To me it was a 60k car (after I fixed it up), guy who bought it was loaded, lots of porches, what's 3k to him. If the white one in WA sold just under $60k with a lot more km's and perhaps not quite as good as mine, then that's probably fair price, not overheated IMHO. I reckon he did the right thing accepting the first genuine offer - plenty of others will talk it up but not get on a plane and go and buy it (Hugh would have I'm sure!)

Now to find "my" 996.2 GT3.....

Any WA guys near this car to go and see it?

Will be happy to repay for any favours you might need in victoria  :D

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/ocean-reef/cars-vans-utes/porsche-911-5-spd-6-cyl-2-7-motor-930-turbo-steel-body-kit/1048599761

Dean, this is the same one on carsales, it's a 912 originally, check the vin#

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1966/SSE-AD-2424881/?Cr=0&sdmvc=1

The Baltic blue 964 C2 manual in Vic last year I had down to $44k but needed about $8k worth of work (thru bolt leak and rust round windscreen washer area) so $52k all up with recent top end, clutch and power steering rack rebuilt. Looking back it was good value..

So Hugh have you given up on a long bonnet?

No, not yet Doug - there is hopefully one for me out there somewhere. I've just been thinking more and more re: a 964 and that one ticked a lot of boxes.

928s (best built car I have ever owned) get a bad rap for maintenance bills,  but these later aircooled 911s are also bit needy it seems. Are we dewy eyed because it's the "iconic" 911? Or are we looking at relatively cheap cars with deferred maintenance ? $7-10K is a fair wad of cash on top of the entry cost of a weekend toy , and that's before any "performance upgrades". 

928s (best built car I have ever owned) get a bad rap for maintenance bills,  but these later aircooled 911s are also bit needy it seems. Are we dewy eyed because it's the "iconic" 911? Or are we looking at relatively cheap cars with deferred maintenance ? $7-10K is a fair wad of cash on top of the entry cost of a weekend toy , and that's before any "performance upgrades". 

these kind of cars will always be a bit pricey when it comes to work required, and a lot of 928's will fall into that category hence bad rep for maintenance.

some good horror stories from don about cheap 928's coming to him for work..

some good horror stories from don about cheap 928's coming to him for work..

Main problem is with timing belt (vs chain for 911) plus water pumps as in most cars. Same as 944 , except twice as many cylinders if things go bang.

Cheap 928s are like cheap 911s , so no-one should complain about 911 prices being what they are. 

If it looks like a bargain and smells like a bargain...it is going to come with surprises.

apparently no one wants a C4... 

This car appears to be listed at a dealer... is it a trade in?

Or are they selling unregistered so there is no warranty?

There is still the other red C4, also unregistered, and also in Vic for $40k. Been on the market for a few months now.

Are you C2 only Hugh???....

If I were purely buying for just my own self enjoyment, i'd be happy with a C4.  

But if I were buying to speculate future value....yeah, C2.

Cayman, that other C4 seemed a bit rough & neglected and a suss history I think they were pretty firm on price...., I just have the feeling this one could be a good car for some reason and worth a look if 964 are you're thing. At only asking $5k more and with a shot at negotiating it could be a good deal.

i really like the style of the wheels and mirrors on the neglected one.

With all the warning lights on, you'd need to invest in the durametric cable to turn them all off.

I have read some funning things about the c4 being sensitive to brake fluid level, and that they need a special tool to bleed the brakes etc.... guess I just dont know enough to take the risk.

Are you C2 only Hugh???....

To justify a purchase (as I don't really need another 911) it needs to tick all the boxes, so yes C2 is where my interest lies - I agree the C4 would be a good car, just not the 'ideal' for me.

With all the warning lights on, you'd need to invest in the durametric cable to turn them all off.

I have read some funning things about the c4 being sensitive to brake fluid level, and that they need a special tool to bleed the brakes etc.... guess I just dont know enough to take the risk.

Wheels and mirrors are easy to change. Engine warning lights not so much.

Been on the market a loooong time, it was around before I bought my 964, maybe September last year....,

Mike,

The 964 C4's, like some other 911's such as the C4 993's had a hydraulic pump assisted brake system rather than the common vacuum assist. So nothing too sinister.

I'd be happy with the "good" C4 just how it is with the flag mirrors, the Design 90 wheels and guards red to boot - take me back to the 90's, perfect!

I found this '78 for sale on gumtree tonight.....

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/oatley/cars-vans-utes/1978-porsche-911/1049286163

I hope whoever is interested in this one has done a bit of homework on the 911 series and doesn't get taken by the excitement of it all.....

I know I would be pretty gutted to find out that after spending $3?,000 on my dream car, convertibles weren't produced untill 1983....

Should the onus be on the seller to divulge the conversion, or buyer beware?? I know what I think!!!