Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

Cheap 964 advertised in oz but car in nz. If it's any good, it would be a steal at the price:http://www.my105.com/listingdetails.aspx?id=13606&latest=1

Who's first on the plane....?

Can this be imported? It's a 1991 model?

Yes...if birthed in 89...it'll look great in your mancave and be the envy of many...

1st January 1989 is the cut off date for Personal Imports.

I understand the only other option is to live in NZ for a minimum of 12 months continuously to circumvent this date limit.

There's also a 964 Turbo for sale over the ditch atm that's worth a look too:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/porsche/auction-734288725.htm

"Prime and paint body complete including color sand and polish. Metallic colors are slightly more.
400-450 Hours."

I just about had a heart attack! 450 hours!!!!!!!!!! You must be kidding.

In what universe is there 450 hours in prime and paint?

Maybe for the Queen Mary 2 or Starship Enterprise, but not a car!

I've read about that bloke charging $200k for a resto. I'll reserve my thoughts on him!

Sorry to mods for hijacking this thread, but here goes.

My 912 had some absolutely knackered doors that were nearly throw aways, and needed huge basketball sized dents removed with shrinks, and minor rust cut out and a piece welded in.

All completed to an absolutely amazing smooth finish with no bog and in primer ready to paint, Two full days = 16 hours

Hood and decklid dent knocked and in primer ready to paint, One day = 8 hours

Whole body dent knocked and in primer ready to paint. Expected Two full days = 16 hours

Floor pan removed and replaced. One full day = 8 hours

Paint. Expected Two full days = 16 hours

Thats 64 hours, wheres the other 386 gone?

Yeah, there maybe a few hours added to it, but seriously, 450 hours? 

I'll add that my mate is using my car a rolling advert for a possible venture into doing higher end paint jobs in the future, so it needs to be good for potential clients when I eventually attend car shows etc.

Please, if you are considering doing some major works to your cherished cars, shop around for the best quote and don't get ripped off

Lee , I know a guy who just got back from Thailand after having some cosmetic dentistry. He saved a lot of money over local costs, that's a bit like the mainland fatties who travel to Tassy for lap banding.

But what's the warranty on rust repair and paintwork, let alone teeth? There are so many stories of average or bad restos that need redoing after 5- 10 years. Not an issue if you plan to flip , but if you want to use and enjoy?

I stick with the galvanised and aluminium cars  :)

There is a "letter of compliance" import option for cars manufactured after 1/1/1989, not sure about who does what but there are companies importing cars every day into Aus.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/import_options/lca.aspx

Forget it.  That's a loophole for car manufacturers to bring in their own vehicles for various purposes.  You can get a letter of compliance from a manufacturer to bring in an import vehicle made by that manufacturer.

Now, if you're lindsay fox wanting to bring in a 959 for historical displays, maybe Porsche will talk.

If you just want a cheap 964 from across the ditch...not so much.

Vehicles which are brought in (post 89) from places like Japan are because of the grey import rules - which is a separate process for vehicles which were never originally sold new in Australia.  They are strictly complianced by people who have the bits of paper needed to do so (i.e., Skylines, weird Van things)   While rules out just about every Porsche built after 1989.

Just remember, your Government is saving you from the scourge of cheaper cars.  So pay your taxes and be happy.

"Prime and paint body complete including color sand and polish. Metallic colors are slightly more.
400-450 Hours."

I just about had a heart attack! 450 hours!!!!!!!!!! You must be kidding.

maybe it includes, "Repair body rust/damage, metalwork and fit panels" which does not have the number of hours estimated

I have no idea how many hours it would be, but if you start having to replace floor pans etc it would be a few

edit: floor pan listed separately at 40-50 hours

Thankfully for the rest of us, there are people out there willing to spend $150k on a resto. I consider it  "preservation" and without it, the old girs would simply wither away and die. 

When you take into account that a standard engine rebuild starts at $23k it's not hard to see where the money goes. Imagine your were trying to restore something rare, say a 356 carrera wher ethe engine alone is $100k. Likewise for other rare and hard to find models and parts.

Targa & RHD conversion... they do hang about a while. 

Depends on which model I guess.. that 1970 I owned for a split second sold very quickly. 

I'm a total loser for selling that car and should be beaten with a stick for it.

The other converted targas I have seen, seem to sell for in the 20's... 

There is a really nice usa LHD Targa in a ice blue colour... I think he is asking $32K and it might be better value seeing as it is all original. I think the LHD would add to the novelty of driving an early 911 "as the factory intended".

As for the 964 in NZ, i couldnt help but enquire... the seller says he has interested parties from both Perth and Sydney enquiring and getting shipping quotes.

So I thought I'd do due diligence and check with a car importer here in Qld.. and he has categorically told me I cannot import the car unless it's a personal car that I have owned myself while living there... if there was a CHANCE that it was possible, then the idea of importing a nice C2 964 from the USA would be awesome... but alas alack.. is not to be.

Oh... you sold that targa?  I was just reading that thread the other day. 

There is a way to get a car here.  But you need a trustworthy friend in the source country who is also Australian, and an ability to buy a car you can't drive for 12 months.  So not many people do that.

Have you looked at the white targa in Brisbane on Gumtree?  Its a LHD I think.