Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

Mmmmmmmmm

Today I was asking dad if I could hide a old 911 at his house! He was thrilled with the idea - mum not so. She's probably wondering what he's hiding at my house :)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Porsche-911S-Targa-1976-Fully-Restored-/301278631907?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item46259b17e3&_uhb=1

Woah, the mechanical restoration/replacement work on that car is brilliant!

Yes it's a bit awesome isn't it :D I wish I was ready to buy.. because that loooks like a beaut.. just put in some nicer period correct seats, and rear lid , I don't need it to be all light and stuff. 

Looks like it's missing some trim below back bumper, that sits over the exhaust???

Oh droooooool...

$_12.JPG

Mmmmmmmmm

Today I was asking dad if I could hide a old 911 at his house! He was thrilled with the idea - mum not so. She's probably wondering what he's hiding at my house :)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Porsche-911S-Targa-1976-Fully-Restored-/301278631907?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item46259b17e3&_uhb=1

That car has been for sale at least a year or more...  It looks great to me so don't know why it hasn't sold other than being a targa which isn't for everyone, but great for you!

I have a motorbike stashed at my warehouse that my 77 yo dad bought....mum is none the wiser!  He'll never ride it though...but it was a good buy!

That car has been for sale at least a year or more...  It looks great to me so don't know why it hasn't sold other than being a targa which isn't for everyone, but great for you!

I have a motorbike stashed at my warehouse that my 77 yo dad bought....mum is none the wiser!  He'll never ride it though...but it was a good buy!

I've never seen that Targa before - there's another green one that's been restored but it's in NSw and gas been on the market a long time.

Ha good on your Dad. Does he tinker with it or is it just warehouse ornament?

The green targa has been for sale for on-and-off for a while, but previously listed for sale on eBay rather than carsales.

The build thread is documented on Pelican -

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/684017-1976-targa-rebuild-oz.html

Thanks for posting this Peter. I knew I'd seen this car before. I had read that thread last year - loved the car then :)

I hope things are going well for you and your wife abroad.

Surely the cost of hard to get 356 parts that may not be included would nearly make the ebay project a bit prohibitive, even if you had a good shop to work in, there are some serious hours in those panels unless you are doing the work yourself and you are a guru at rust repair.. 

I hope someone rescues it and restores it. 

The green targa has been for sale for on-and-off for a while, but previously listed for sale on eBay rather than carsales.

The build thread is documented on Pelican -

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/684017-1976-targa-rebuild-oz.html

I just read this build thread. Very interesting. I think he has done well to buy a car that was in pieces... when you see the exploded view of all the engine components on the floor as he received them, it makes me very envious of his ability. 

The thread ends in May 2014 where he is chasing an oil leak... I wonder whether he ever fixed it, or if he has just had enough and passing the torch on... 

More fixes
I have started to tackle the remaining jobs with new enthusiasm. I was determined to fix this persistent oil leak from behind the pulley. I pulled everything off for the third time and cleaned everything up. I ran the engine for a few minutes and examined it for leaks. There was the smallest of leaks coming from the #8 bearing through a tiny pin hole in the JB Weld. I decided to remove the JB from around the pin hole, apply some more, and give it a second chance. If that doesn't work its a collar job. I also found a couple of seeps from the bolts holding the chain guides, so I undid them a few turns and slipped a bit of sealant under the washers.

While I had the car up on the hoist I decided to remove the rear bumper. I have always been unhappy with the original unit so I have been looking around for something lighter that I can play around with. Well I have found one that had been used locally by a P racer. It is a fiberglass copy of the original bumper, including the rubber bumpers and is at least half the weight of the original. My plan is to make a few mods to it (Thanks Dennis, you did warn me), and make some new brackets after removing those heavy original shocker units. The old girl is getting lighter and lighter.

I am off to open a bottle of red and do a bit of research on what others have done with rear bumpers. Hopefully the JB Weld will have set by tomorrow and I have no more leaks.

Silver on black 993 TT at CTS:  http://www.classicthrottleshop.com/modernclassic14.html

$150k for a car with 122,000km on the clock . . . makes the WA car look like good value if you're a fan of a blue interior.

Wonder what's the story with the drill holes on the VIN plate and build date plate?

20porsche993turboarctic_zps3bcffa7c.jpg21porsche993turboarctic_zpsdb85b84f.jpg

BUMP. Sorry to quote my own post, but does anyone have any thoughts on these drill holes?

BUMP. Sorry to quote my own post, but does anyone have any thoughts on these drill holes?

Nick,

Do you think they might have originally tried to mount the CD stacker there before they realised what was under the carpet? I notice there is a box that looks like a stacker mounted at the front of the frunk. (I wonder if they drilled through the first aid kit that's mounted on the other side of the hardboard backing too?)

If the spacing of the holes in the strap that mounts the CD stacker match the spacing of the two holes in the compliance plate and built date plate, you have solved the mystery. "Book him Danno, murder one!"

I just read this build thread. Very interesting. I think he has done well to buy a car that was in pieces... when you see the exploded view of all the engine components on the floor as he received them, it makes me very envious of his ability. 

The thread ends in May 2014 where he is chasing an oil leak... I wonder whether he ever fixed it, or if he has just had enough and passing the torch on... 

More fixes

I have started to tackle the remaining jobs with new enthusiasm. I was determined to fix this persistent oil leak from behind the pulley. I pulled everything off for the third time and cleaned everything up. I ran the engine for a few minutes and examined it for leaks. There was the smallest of leaks coming from the #8 bearing through a tiny pin hole in the JB Weld. I decided to remove the JB from around the pin hole, apply some more, and give it a second chance. If that doesn't work its a collar job. I also found a couple of seeps from the bolts holding the chain guides, so I undid them a few turns and slipped a bit of sealant under the washers.

While I had the car up on the hoist I decided to remove the rear bumper. I have always been unhappy with the original unit so I have been looking around for something lighter that I can play around with. Well I have found one that had been used locally by a P racer. It is a fiberglass copy of the original bumper, including the rubber bumpers and is at least half the weight of the original. My plan is to make a few mods to it (Thanks Dennis, you did warn me), and make some new brackets after removing those heavy original shocker units. The old girl is getting lighter and lighter.

I am off to open a bottle of red and do a bit of research on what others have done with rear bumpers. Hopefully the JB Weld will have set by tomorrow and I have no more leaks.

I read that thread and came to the conclusion that you'd probably be ironing out faults for some time into the future on that car - IF he's not been driving it a lot, which I imagine is the best way to ensure that everything works as it should.

You'd wanna be a good spanner monkey to own that own I think. I might be wrong obviously and hope I am as it looks really cool.