Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

Do want. That used to be red and owned by a guy named Peter (if I am not mistaken, it was 20 years ago). If it's the same car, it's been a stalwart of the Qld club scene for forever and a day.  

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1986/SSE-AD-2914514/?Cr=1&sdmvc=1

Has this one been discussed?

German delivered 86 3.2 coupe with factory optioned 7s and 9s. Broken odo, color change from red to black but looks serviceable. Listed at $37k it seems like a cheap way into a 3.2 if it checks out mechanically.

Interesting 996 c4s on ebay expiring today

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Porsche-911-996-C4s-Manual-Coupe-2002-/181533803338?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item2a4442034a

claims to have won a category in the 2010 PCNSW concours, there was a silver 02 996 which won the category in 2010

http://cms.porsche-clubs.com/PorscheClubs/pc_nsw/files/101103_PCNSWconcours2010resultsummaryV4.pdf

But it's not listed as a C4S

Thinking about low-balling the seller when the auction expires with no bidders. Lack of photos and it being a frankencar must have scared them all off.

Interesting 996 c4s on ebay expiring today

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Porsche-911-996-C4s-Manual-Coupe-2002-/181533803338?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item2a4442034a

claims to have won a category in the 2010 PCNSW concours, there was a silver 02 996 which won the category in 2010

http://cms.porsche-clubs.com/PorscheClubs/pc_nsw/files/101103_PCNSWconcours2010resultsummaryV4.pdf

But it's not listed as a C4S

Thinking about low-balling the seller when the auction expires with no bidders. Lack of photos and it being a frankencar must have scared them all off.

Yeah, how come the photo is a LHD Stuttgart reg car, what he couldnt find one photo from the PCNSW concourse event...SUSSSSSS

Yeah, how come the photo is a LHD Stuttgart reg car, what he couldnt find one photo from the PCNSW concourse event...SUSSSSSS

The photo is the first thing that comes up on google search.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=porsche+996&biw=1584&bih=777&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=T04rVJDqEtSwogST64JI&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#tbm=isch&q=porsche+996+4s

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1986/SSE-AD-2914514/?Cr=1&sdmvc=1

Has this one been discussed?

German delivered 86 3.2 coupe with factory optioned 7s and 9s. Broken odo, color change from red to black but looks serviceable. Listed at $37k it seems like a cheap way into a 3.2 if it checks out mechanically.

I reckon it's a tad overpriced being an import however I give it a tick for not being converted to RHD....if the colour change has been done well, it checks out in a PPI, for low $30's it would be decent value

I'd be calling scam on this one, even though the seller has a 41 sale history. Either scam or lazy....either way, run forest, run!

So do these modern ones really run out of water before buzzing loudly or flashing lights? Which male idiot forgot to check the level?

Brand new 997 engine in about 90-100,000km ago. It was placed at about the 90,000 km mark. water cooled engines need water, they melt when a woman drives and there is no water in them!

Can anyone shed any light on this 944?

Owner claims it's the 1985 update, yet it still has the earlier dash .....

Am I missing something?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Porsche-944-Aug-1985-Built-2D-Coupe-5-SP-Manual-2-5L-Multi-Point-F-INJ-/141422714537?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item20ed735ea9

Other than the obvious inconsistencies already discussed on the previous page, the ad is in ALL CAPS!!!! 

I actually saw this a while ago & didn't really read the ad, I've just re-read it, he makes mention of the updated dash..... What the??  

Other than the obvious inconsistencies already discussed on the previous page, the ad is in ALL CAPS!!!! 

I actually saw this a while ago & didn't really read the ad, I've just re-read it, he makes mention of the updated dash..... What the??  

I like that he specifically talks about the cookie cutters and phone-dials, his cookie cutters don't look like something you would even call phone dials. Scousers decoder says the vin belongs to an 85, but it's definately not an 85.2

Victoria must have different historic car club permit rules,   my 83 only just qualified for club plates this year

I reckon it's a tad overpriced being an import however I give it a tick for not being converted to RHD....if the colour change has been done well, it checks out in a PPI, for low $30's it would be decent value

You'd assume mid-low $30s takes it away.  I think that is decent pricing for what it is, assuming no lurking issues.  The tired-looking engine bay does raise question marks however.  It blows my mind that adding an Oz compliance plate and moving the steering wheel adds $20k, but apparently others think that is bonza - the market talks.

Still, a couple of 3.2s are languishing in the 50-60k price mark so maybe the market hasn't moved that far at all.

So do these modern ones really run out of water before buzzing loudly or flashing lights? Which male idiot forgot to check the level?

Easy enough to do if you get a hole in a radiator.  A lot of warning systems don't kick in until it is too late (i.e., coolant level warning when coolant just dumped on road due to big hole in plastic radiator)  Also depends where the hole is - you can be pumping air in the engine before it decides to warn you.

A lot of temp gauges are 'buffered' these days so they don't wander off the central point and instill confidence in the driver.  They only start going upwards when it's well and truly out of bounds, so like a fuel tank that jumps from 1/4 to empty, people can miss it.

I nearly cooked my BM due to a radiator failure, just caught the gauge out of the corner of my eye.  It's easy to do.  The warning was too little too late, really.

I like that he specifically talks about the cookie cutters and phone-dials, his cookie cutters don't look like something you would even call phone dials. Scousers decoder says the vin belongs to an 85, but it's definately not an 85.2

Victoria must have different historic car club permit rules,   my 83 only just qualified for club plates this year

Yes in Vic the car has to be 25 years or older. This is another case of owner not knowing what he is selling. All that aside, probably not a bad buy.... seems to be priced fairly. If i had some spare cash I would like to own a 944 again. Maybe I'll start up that indoor Herb factory I was thinking about.....

Easy enough to do if you get a hole in a radiator.  A lot of warning systems don't kick in until it is too late (i.e., coolant level warning when coolant just dumped on road due to big hole in plastic radiator)  Also depends where the hole is - you can be pumping air in the engine before it decides to warn you.

A lot of temp gauges are 'buffered' these days so they don't wander off the central point and instill confidence in the driver.  They only start going upwards when it's well and truly out of bounds, so like a fuel tank that jumps from 1/4 to empty, people can miss it.

I nearly cooked my BM due to a radiator failure, just caught the gauge out of the corner of my eye.  It's easy to do.  The warning was too little too late, really.

So , some wire mesh over the rad is a good idea?

I drive with one eye on the sensitive temp gauge on my water cooled cars. The alloy heads don't like overheating any more than my wallet. Some hypercardria is a good thing , though as you've said people expect modern cars to just go on & on without any attention to detail. More fool them!