Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

A bit more melbourne tyre kicking 

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1988/SSE-AD-3337845

Ok car, some rust in rear window , cracks in rear boot lid corner , where paint meets black 

Im looking for a car but a little concerned at taking a car interstate with the RTA …had issues with another car not porsche and they were pedantic about little oil weeping etc as is the case with this car.

Its always a personal risk and not take this post too off track , what kind of budget and price tag would you put on a car like this with the question the cost to drop a motor, redo most gasket , rear engine oil seals , clutch, chain tensioners in mind..

For the victorians , if you have a workshop, didnt have to reregister as would have to , I would say this is an ok car.

Just a question of what they are worth.

Gotta be honest Im still a little suspicious of salty cars…. I wonder how long it takes for the UK acne/rust  to appear and how long they take for their hormones to come into balance in their new environment of Australia. :rolleyes:

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1988/SSE-AD-3337845

Ok so theres my contribution to burning fossil fuels , well of the aviation type anyway.. Sydney here we come ..Outlaws and 930's are on the menu .. anyone got a complete interior for 930 couple …and im not joking  :(

So, did you send him a cheque or a hat?

-

t's in good nic for its age - turns plenty of heads, sounds great and goes like a cut cat. If the first person to drive it doesn't buy it, I'll eat my hat.

Rust never sleeps. If it's in the rear window then it is likely rotting from up under the quarters where the road grime flicks up into the top of the c pilar. Poke around at the 'kidney bowls' and I bet they are rotting as well.

If you want to by a rusty project, fine, but you need to discount further. Better off buying a cleaner 3.2 for $10k more, as you could drop 10k into rust repairs and still be behind.

If it's a uk car already showing rust...ask yourself...'is it ever getting better, or is it going to get worse?' You could put a rusty car in a cartoon and all you would do is slow it. Once the surface protection is gone and the rust starts, it doesn't stop until it's all removed and the surface protection re applied.

$49k would have to be a new high for any 911 sc wouldn't it? The subtract the UK discount.

Cant agree mate, I paid high 40s for my sc a few years ago, although its au delivered and immaculate, I would expect it to be worth more than that now, at least Id'e like to think that's the case.

With  a 20-30k spread , Im very torn between something to drive or investment AC78 , either way I dont want a lot of drama.

With some of what I looked at , High to low I can get two imports for  dealers pampered Aussie...

As an example a 930 that I could buy mid to late 50's nearing a small tidyup vs the silver one in melbourne at 125k posted over the weekend in this post 

I have also seen through a private contact a UK car that doesnt have rust for sure , has the pedigree in terms of work and service history as the best aussie at early to mid 70's but gotta convince the owner to finally part with his first child, it was apretty much a done deal and now hes watching the hype of the market.

Maybe at the risk of needing a testicular rettachment I will buy out of the 930 hyperventilation but a good sc/3.2 and build a hotrod.

Buying in this market is a bit like being stuck on the skid pan  , slippery , but could be enjoyable  :wacko:

I have seen probably 10 cars in the past two weeks and my read is other than crazy low ball sales aor high end speculation , the middle ground of reasonably honest buys is a bit flat.  im not sure how many of the low or high cars are actually really interested in real ownership. Commodity investment rules only.

Who would have thought it would be so hard to part with ya money 

With a 20-30k spread , Im very torn between something to drive or investment AC78 , either way I dont want a lot of drama.

With some of what I looked at , High to low I can get two imports for dealers pampered Aussie...

As an example a 930 that I could buy mid to late 50's nearing a small tidyup vs the silver one in melbourne at 125k posted over the weekend in this post

I have also seen through a private contact a UK car that doesnt have rust for sure , has the pedigree in terms of work and service history as the best aussie at early to mid 70's but gotta convince the owner to finally part with his first child, it was apretty much a done deal and now hes watching the hype of the market.

Maybe at the risk of needing a testicular rettachment I will buy out of the 930 hyperventilation but a good sc/3.2 and build a hotrod.

Buying in this market is a bit like being stuck on the skid pan , slippery , but could be enjoyable :wacko:

I have seen probably 10 cars in the past two weeks and my read is other than crazy low ball sales aor high end speculation , the middle ground of reasonably honest buys is a bit flat. im not sure how many of the low or high cars are actually really interested in real ownership. Commodity investment rules only.

Who would have thought it would be so hard to part with ya money

Buy 2 drive

Big gains been n gone unless you big game hunter or lucky sod

Buy hotrod buy anothers broken dreams as the basis for your wicked thoughts but remember may be the basis for my future wicked thoughts

RHD the $ gap is closing as the water hole dries - UK should still be less

There's a LHD 930 cork? Interior in Sydney

Cant agree mate, I paid high 40s for my sc a few years ago, although its au delivered and immaculate, I would expect it to be worth more than that now, at least Id'e like to think that's the case.

If someone offered me $49k for mine, I'd be hard pressed to say no... As much as I love it. 

Very true but I've never had any type of investment make that % return to me in 6 months.

Also when you consider that many of us think there's a Shhh.... bubble , then I can point to dumber ideas I've followed in my past.

By reupholstering of course!

The advert mentions the interior has been redone: ..."It has been the subject of a restoration project that included a new interior and mechanical work."

But I agree the whole car looks enticing.

Will it sell quickly for $34k when many other good ones seem to languish in the $20 to $25k zone?

Very true but I've never had any type of investment make that % return to me in 6 months.

Also when you consider that many of us think there's a Shhh.... bubble , then I can point to dumber ideas I've followed in my past.

I fell for that way of thinking - I had a clean 964 C2 manual guards red bought $51k in late 2013 sold $63k 4 months later (25% return in 4 months = 75% pe annum! better than 3% from a bank!). Mind you I had spent a few bucks on it but don't that ruin the tale.

New owner did a $5k paint job and sold it in the $80s 6 months after that. So he made another 20% on his dough. Been watching 964s go nuts ever since. Was my first Porsche, what did I know.......! Never ceases to amaze me the frenzy for good P cars. Hold it I say!

Wow, you could eat off this engine. Or the seats, even. If I wasn't house hunting, I'd be all over this -

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-928-1989/SSE-AD-3355187/?Cr=6

Probably won't start after spending 2 hours pressure washing the engine and saturating the electrics....

Lovely looking car, crazy that this is $30k when an equivalent 911 in that condition would be double and up no matter the model.