Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

in NZ again...but 2.0 litre 911 motor in a http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/porsche/auction-707394332.htm

take some commitment to get it registered

That car actually has a bit going for it. Looks a reasonable build and has some really nice features that cheap replicas don't have such as the correct gauges, proper mirrors, screen, and mangel wheels.

I suspect with some patience you could register this under historic plates in the 'reproduction' category (six is non standard but probably less hp than a genuine one).

I am a bit of a fan of this car and think it is pretty good value if you have the patience to do the form filling. Makes me regret selling mine.

I had a McRae 550 Spyder (ex f1 driver and f5000 constructor Graeme McRae built 38 spyder replicas / kits in 1993), finished in 2009. Body concours, interior smart but probably not as good as that one for sale on trademe, running a 914 engine (1.7L out to 2.1L with Keith black pistons and jake raby cams, 5 speed 914 box).

Sold for NZD$27,000. Sold to the first guy that looked at it but there were six other serious people lining up to buy so was probably keenly priced.

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1995/AGC-AD-15485915/?Cr=3&sdmvc=1

Went to have a look at this one...Charming dealership on Parramatta Road

The brake lights are cracked, the car has just had a respray...and it stunk. Incredibly moist underneath the mats - which the dealer claims is a result of "the steam cleaning/detailing"... Started up first try, but I felt uncomfortable with that smell and what  I assume is a bigger issue, so didn't bother for a test drive. Any prospectives should be careful!

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1995/AGC-AD-15485915/?Cr=3&sdmvc=1

Went to have a look at this one...Charming dealership on Parramatta Road

The brake lights are cracked, the car has just had a respray...and it stunk. Incredibly moist underneath the mats - which the dealer claims is a result of "the steam cleaning/detailing"... Started up first try, but I felt uncomfortable with that smell and what I assume is a bigger issue, so didn't bother for a test drive. Any prospectives should be careful!

Maybe all the salt from UK?

Peter, this interests me... 

Which is the more desirable car.. this one or the red 964 C4 for the same money in Vic?

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/_/SSE-AD-2698373

This car looks great and shows signs of being a really good car. Yes the red 964 is the same asking price but will involve further $$$ investment to get sorted - so its really a 55-60k car by comparison IMO. 

Get onto the white car Mike!  :)  ;)

Hugh

I went to send you a big long Pm and it says you cannot receive any more messages!

Turns out the white car has had a full respray 4 years ago by the previous owner (not sure why) and he thinks the valve guides are worn evidenced by puffs of blue smoke after sitting idling at the lights. Says it clears out after about a minute or so, but is pretty sure this work needs to be done.

The spoiler was removed and the holes welded and painted. Does that detract from originality?

The red 964 apparently leaks enough oil that it drops overnight.

You don't happen to live near Woodend in Vic by any chance?

Mike

0418 316 203

I like that white one over the red.

My current market observations. Cars priced under the $50,000 seem to have issues. Cars priced at least $10,000 or more higher don't seem to have as many issues. Logical when you think about it, you pay more you get a better car, hopefully. And the higher over the $50k mark the better they seem to be straight off the previous owners oil free driveway.

This leads me to the old adage, buy the best you can afford OR take a chance on a car with the best body work you can find and factor in mechanical $. Engine rebuild if car just needs a freshen up, $15,000 or so? New clutch as well while it's out plus check syncros etc add $3,000 for basics? New shocks all round, tyres, bushes, wiper rubbers, $3,000?

Seems cheaper to buy a $70,000 car if you aren't a capable engine rebuild level mechanic? Thoughts fellow PFA addicts?

http://www.carsales.com.au/CarStockGallery.aspx?R=SSE-AD-2698373&TabID=304744&enq=6093892&ad=6088323&gal=6093857&wt=0&ladt=6093861&adpvEnq=6119635&show=photos&cw=555&ch=370&index=2&mode=popup

What is the story about the led/electronic odometer that is in the speedo on this 1990 c4? I owned a 1991 c4 but it was a Tokyo import, no sign of the electronic odo, I have seen them in 993 cars. Does anyone know the story of what they are OEM on?

I like that white one over the red.

My current market observations. Cars priced under the $50,000 seem to have issues. Cars priced at least $10,000 or more higher don't seem to have as many issues. Logical when you think about it, you pay more you get a better car, hopefully. And the higher over the $50k mark the better they seem to be straight off the previous owners oil free driveway.

This leads me to the old adage, buy the best you can afford OR take a chance on a car with the best body work you can find and factor in mechanical $. Engine rebuild if car just needs a freshen up, $15,000 or so? New clutch as well while it's out plus check syncros etc add $3,000 for basics? New shocks all round, tyres, bushes, wiper rubbers, $3,000?

Seems cheaper to buy a $70,000 car if you aren't a capable engine rebuild level mechanic? Thoughts fellow PFA addicts?

buy once cry once :D

http://www.carsales.com.au/CarStockGallery.aspx?R=SSE-AD-2698373&TabID=304744&enq=6093892&ad=6088323&gal=6093857&wt=0&ladt=6093861&adpvEnq=6119635&show=photos&cw=555&ch=370&index=2&mode=popup

What is the story about the led/electronic odometer that is in the speedo on this 1990 c4? I owned a 1991 c4 but it was a Tokyo import, no sign of the electronic odo, I have seen them in 993 cars. Does anyone know the story of what they are OEM on?

they are stock on most 964's i thought, or i assumed so from what the mechanic told me, though i noticed my friend's '91 964 does not have one either. but the 964 turbo does.

3nOmqfw.jpg

Peter, this interests me... 

Which is the more desirable car.. this one or the red 964 C4 for the same money in Vic?

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/_/SSE-AD-2698373

Based on the photos and the written descriptions, I think the C3.2 is the better buy overall. I also think C3.2 are great cars and it's easy to fall under their spell for many reasons.

The red 964 C4 is definitely a project car and you would need to be very sure what you are doing to avoid overcapitalising.

Hugh

I went to send you a big long Pm and it says you cannot receive any more messages!

Turns out the white car has had a full respray 4 years ago by the previous owner (not sure why) and he thinks the valve guides are worn evidenced by puffs of blue smoke after sitting idling at the lights. Says it clears out after about a minute or so, but is pretty sure this work needs to be done.

The spoiler was removed and the holes welded and painted. Does that detract from originality?

When you think these cars are around 30 years old, resprays are pretty unavoidable. The good thing with this is that its not a recent job and any short cuts in the preparation should be evident by now. I suggest you have a close look and if it looks good, it probably is.

If it puffs a bit of smoke after idling and it's minor, I won't be too worried about that either. Assuming you're only going to drive it once a week on average over the time you own it, it will keep going fine for a least a decade.ie no hurry to do anything. A PPI with give you the good oil!

As for the removed tail, if you want to replace it, they're not to difficult to buy and reinstall.

My suggest Mike is to:

confirm everything the owner is telling you by looking at the option sticker and VIN,

take it for a drive,

check it for accident damage, rust, poor workmanship,

verify the odometer reading as best you can as it seems low.

get a PPI,

and you know the rest! :-)

PS: Suggest you act quickly as Australian Delivered ones in this "apparent" condition don't hang around at this price.

Mine does not have one. Hepkat does. An option perhaps?

It's option 659 Trip Computer if I'm not mistaken. The give away should an extra stalk underneath the indicator/headlight flasher stalk on the steering column.

The odometer is still that horrible contraption in the bottom of the face of the speedometer that fails due to a misconceived 2 cent part....

Hugh

The red 964 apparently leaks enough oil that it drops overnight.

You don't happen to live near Woodend in Vic by any chance?

Mike

0418 316 203

Sorry Mike, just cleared out my inbox - feel free to flick me a message if you still have it there. Unfortunately I am on the other side of Melbourne in the far south  :(