Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

^^^ sorry to hear mate, maybe for the best. The right car will turn up - hang in there!  ;)  :)

as luck has it,

Im going to look at a 930  convertable this arvo.

I have a question. the 930s , if they are a convertable, are they still a good collectable cat? I would rather a hard top , but the 930 im going to see this arvo is a convertable.

The guy who owns it is unfortunatly in prison and his family are desperate for money. His son says that the car is mint. he said 55k will buy the car.

is that a good price for a 930? or are the convertables worth crap money ?

The guy who owns it is unfortunatly in prison and his family are desperate for money. His son says that the car is mint. he said 55k will buy the car.

Fantastic sale pitch - the car may have an interesting history?  :ph34r:  :lol: Generally Cab's are worth less than coupes as coupes tend to be more desirable. The car maybe worth 55k but based on the lack of information difficult to verify. 

Check the VIN & titles, work out what it is and where it is from, get a history and if that all checks out get a PPI. ;)  B)  

Convertible 911s are worth way less than coupes. Depends on condition of course but my guess is anywhere from 10 - 25% less?

Did they actually make a 930 as a cab?

yes, they did . there are a cople for sale on car sales for 80-100k

Its an 89 model so it has the 5 speed.

convertable or not , if it is what he says it is, its a bargin for 55k.

yes, they did . there are a cople for sale on car sales for 80-100k

Its an 89 model so it has the 5 speed.

convertable or not , if it is what he says it is, its a bargin for 55k.

If its an '89 turbo then it will have been originally delivered outside Australia.

This is something else to factor in for pricing.

maybe.. i'm starting to think there are more imports and converted cars in Aus than there are Aus delivered...

I hate buying stuff that I know will be hard to sell at a later date. I'm pretty good with Japanese cars, but these p cars are a whole other game.

maybe.. i'm starting to think there are more imports and converted cars in Aus than there are Aus delivered...

I hate buying stuff that I know will be hard to sell at a later date. I'm pretty good with Japanese cars, but these p cars are a whole other game.

In the sub 40k price range for an early model 911 it will be more typical to find imported cars.

In the sub 40k price range for an early model 911 it will be more typical to find imported cars.

Hugh's on the money as always. If you're bottom feeding in the 911 market, you will battle to find anything reasonable that isn't imported. It costs so much to put a poor 911 right, and the experienced hands know this, so the market sets the prices that reflect this. I understand how difficult it makes the search for someone new to the game, but there is a reason that we keep harping on to be careful. You might find the elusive Holy Grail, but it's doubtful. Better to move to a different model 911 and buy a really good example, than buy someone else's imported piece of crepe. The yanks do not look after 911's like we do from the the start as their buy price is much less and they don't have the same intrinsic value. The horrors that US cars experience in their hands can defy all common sense. Caveat emptor always, and good luck.

Hugh's on the money as always. If you're bottom feeding in the 911 market, you will battle to find anything reasonable that isn't imported. It costs so much to put a poor 911 right, and the experienced hands know this, so the market sets the prices that reflect this. I understand how difficult it makes the search for someone new to the game, but there is a reason that we keep harping on to be careful. You might find the elusive Holy Grail, but it's doubtful. Better to move to a different model 911 and buy a really good example, than buy someone else's imported piece of crepe. The yanks do not look after 911's like we do from the the start as their buy price is much less and they don't have the same intrinsic value. The horrors that US cars experience in their hands can defy all common sense. Caveat emptor always, and good luck.

The 901 market is pretty clear in oz. While the converted cars and lhd and non oz RHD are in a pecking order they are more accepted now as there is limited choice due to so few Pre 74's originally imported.

Occasionally you get an 'ok' oz delivered 901 for sub 40k, but it s a rarity and they are still in need of 10's of thousands spent again depending on use. I knew a 69 that sold out of Canberra 2 years ago, for 32k. Lasted 1 hour on car sales. Bought sight unseen. Needed gearbox and engine carbie and body work even though it was registered and ' drive able '.

Buying a converted car or Lhd , is not the issue so much as buying a car that needs alot of work.

if you are buying at the lower end with the intention of upgrading refurbing restoring over time, then this makes sense if you do not have the spare 60-70k and plus that is required to buy into a very good pre 74. Even so some of those high dollar cars aren't without their issues. very few of them could ever attest to been rust free.

Michel

Isn't that what I just said?

Or put another way.

In the end, if you buy an Australian delivered 911, ropey or not, you have every chance of the value in the end being somewhere around your investment. That sadly won't be the case with an imported car, in my experience.

The cars are not always about the money. They are not shares, or real estate. They are for driving, and I hate to see people caught with a dog they can't enjoy, while trying to work out how to pay for the repairs and renovation. Australian delivered 911's will almost always have been better cared for than imports. The good overseas cars are very very rarely the ones we see here.

I'm off to enjoy my cars for a while. All the best to those on the hunt. Caveat emptor.

Nothing on the car suggests an SC unless someone has wasted an incredible amount of money on converting everything including the interior and front valance. Even has the 86 larger vents in the dash. I'd only be guessing why he put SC in the comments.

Nothing on the car suggests an SC unless someone has wasted an incredible amount of money on converting everything including the interior and front valance. Even has the 86 larger vents in the dash. I'd only be guessing why he put SC in the comments.

agree, there is more to suggest it is an 86 3.2 than an SC.