Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

Anyone else miss the fact that late model 911 buyers didn't embrace the vibrant colours? I've been looking for a 'loud' (colour wise) 997 S for 8 months. I'm thinking of making an offer on a black car though now cause I'm sick of waiting!

I'd love a speed yellow or cobalt blue but it is a parade of the 4 different silvers / greys, black, and the odd white car.

Anyone else miss the fact that late model 911 buyers didn't embrace the vibrant colours? I've been looking for a 'loud' (colour wise) 997 S for 8 months. I'm thinking of making an offer on a black car though now cause I'm sick of waiting!

I'd love a speed yellow or cobalt blue but it is a parade of the 4 different silvers / greys, black, and the odd white car.

i agree 100% - you're not buying a camry be daring with the colour! :D

i almost make it a point to buy in outrageous colours haha.

Caledonia,

I'm only suggesting that could be the case based on what I see.  I can't verify it as fact.  Suggest you ask for the VIN to get to the truth.

Ahh! I thought you knew the car.... there will probably be something about it but i might give hime a call as it not too far from me.

Getting back to this red 73 911...

I'm still getting my head around desirability...

This one has been converted... how critical to "value" is the conversion? eg, in this car, the stereo is now on the far right side... and the key is on the left of the wheel. In a gen rhd, isnt the key on the right hand side? Or is this normal for a conversion?

Does the fact it has been tracked a fair bit and has a cage in it, detract from the value? So when it gets put back to stock, does it mean the car is less desirable compared to a car that has not been tracked?

Would it be more desirable to have an original unconverted car in LHD form? eg, the one listed at www.buymyporsche.com is asking $50... I'm guessing it will owe $55ish once landed in oz. Assuming it is a clean non rust car, and the 2 were side by side, which is the one you would prefer to own?

cp5106940494070049790_zps4181b6a5.jpg

Dashboard_zps6e84ceff.jpg

Like.
Check out this Porsche 911.
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1973/SSE-AD-2727929

The photos are great...especially with the police car blurred in the background. Kinda looks like the police were chasing it but it managed to hide in the long grass.

You can only buy these early model cars on condition - condition will determine the better car. LH/RH colour/cage etc. are all secondary to condition. Just make sure you get rid of the sh#thouse steering wheels, why do people do that? That's what devalues a car!  

This one has been converted... how critical to "value" is the conversion? eg, in this car, the stereo is now on the far right side... and the key is on the left of the wheel. In a gen rhd, isnt the key on the right hand side? Or is this normal for a conversion?

Does the fact it has been tracked a fair bit and has a cage in it, detract from the value? So when it gets put back to stock, does it mean the car is less desirable compared to a car that has not been tracked?

Would it be more desirable to have an original unconverted car in LHD form? eg, the one listed at www.buymyporsche.com is asking $50... I'm guessing it will owe $55ish once landed in oz. Assuming it is a clean non rust car, and the 2 were side by side, which is the one you would prefer to own?

Agree with the other comments here on condition. Re the conversion it would be worth getting some photos from under the hood to see how they approached it. Personally I think the cut and swap over approach on the dash is a bit of short cut.

cp5106940494070049790_zps4181b6a5.jpg

Dashboard_zps6e84ceff.jpg

Conversions can be done cheaply and sub standard or they can be done well/properly and will cost more to do. Like anything in life.

The fact that the radio and ignition are now incorrectly placed for a RHD is probably indicative of the amount of money spent on the conversion.

The concern about conversions is, how well was the job done.

My car is a conversion and most people wouldn't know. As far as I can tell the only difference with mine is the diagnostics port is on the drivers side. My key barrel and stereo are in the right spots, you get what you pay for I guess.

hacking up the dashboard rather than getting a RHD dashboard is why the radio is in the wrong spot i'd guess.

Certainly is - not that hard to make good, its the other sheet metal parts of a conversion people need to be concerned about - very good conversions will also put the recessed floor section in. These are NLA though not hard to fab or source from a wrecked RHD.

The pale blue long hood for sale on the PCQLD site used all porsche factory metal in its conversion...won awards even..but it's still a conversion. There's even been a few cut n shut conversions on the market that have grafted front ends from UK or other rhd cars, only the very experienced could pick it.

A converted car at a below market values can often mean more issues than the conversion or might also mean the vendor isn't clued into the early car market- perhaps the WA TARGA was an example. Still interested to see where this surfaces.

The above applies to ORIG RHD.

if I was in the current market for a solid, little fuss driver proposition and had the option to buy a converted car with good service history i'd buy it over a sketchy, poor to average RHD, knowing I'd need to spend little on the former in the coming 12 months and a wad of cash over potentially dozens more months on the latter.

A mate bought a couple years ago a 71 targa, fresh paint fresh motor fresh box.....and more. listed for 45k in SA? Hardly anyone looked at it heaps bagged it. It was a converted car. Having driven it its a cracker

As a driver option the immediate returns are obvious

My car is a conversion and most people wouldn't know. As far as I can tell the only difference with mine is the diagnostics port is on the drivers side. My key barrel and stereo are in the right spots, you get what you pay for I guess.

I would have never picked your car as a RHD conversion, if it hadn't been for your rev counter being inside the glove box:)

Would it be more desirable to have an original unconverted car in LHD form? 

Oh yes!  Personally I would happily pay 5k more for a genuine LHD. Over a factory RHD.

Better driving position , better visibility and more German. 

Luckily for me , my real LHD was 5k less than a factory RHD  :)

I think times have changed in Australia with regard to people's views on LHD cars.

IMHO if you had a car that was collectible, then as a LHD there is a greater world market to sell into.

Such a car I too would prefer as delivered in LHD, rather then aftermarket converted to RHD.

With a converted car there always remains the option of reconvertingndownnthe track as part of a refresh. The biggest market for these cars will always be LHD. Pretty soon you'll see Aussie-kept cars being considered like California cars in overseas markets.