Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

I can vouch for that car , it's very desirable!

Taz.. looks nice …but with a 2.4 mag case starter and  74 starter ..how do you get to a 250k build.. I need educating , or is it just a 120k build with 30k labour and they want their money back… No question its a nice well built car… and no twin spark dizzy?? Not needed?

I lost context of what this about ??? I guess thats a first Im confused unlike  the norm you guys being confused by me ;)

Taz.. looks nice …but with a 2.4 mag case starter and  74 starter ..how do you get to a 250k build.. I need educating , or is it just a 120k build with 30k labour and they want their money back… No question its a nice well built car… and no twin spark dizzy?? Not needed?

Don't ask me why people spend crazymegabucks on these beetly little cars ... they don't seem very competitive these days, or perhaps the rules have been tweaked to suit other brands? It's a lot of dosh for cars that rarely come out to play.

Is this guy for real? didn't it start a $80k or so ?

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-930-1988/SSE-AD-4232886/?Cr=7

Yep, saw it about 10 months back at $89k and seriously thought of giving it a go...had a roll cage in it too? Half cage? Maybe not .... sale price would be nowhere near his fairyland figure - just over half his ask? maybe 130K?

Don't ask me why people spend crazymegabucks on these beetly little cars ... they don't seem very competitive these days, or perhaps the rules have been tweaked to suit other brands? It's a lot of dosh for cars that rarely come out to play.

So you vouch it goes hard , looks good , doesnt leak oil? Has 150k of cocaine under the bonnet 

Yep, saw it about 10 months back at $89k and seriously thought of giving it a go...had a roll cage in it too? Half cage? Maybe not .... sale price would be nowhere near his fairyland figure - just over half his ask? maybe 130K?

Has had a full engine rebuild - with some good bits. AC works well. Extra front oil cooler.

As for the rest - best to go see in person and make your own judgment. I had a look a long time back. Unless some $ have been spent on body & interior (can't see it in the pics), you'd need to budget for some work. And some Fuchs.

Maybe it's a case of put a really high number on it, hope for a lowball offer and jump at it! 

996 GT2 now $249k.  Genuine car, Australian delivered, 1 of 29, immaculate condition, under 50k kms and about 4k on new engine.  Non original crankcase means non original engine number so it's now priced $50k below the next cheapest GT2 on market for quick sale. SMT'ers will know the car, it's a weapon.

Try and find another at this price in this condition.....ever.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-2002/SSE-AD-4195631/?Cr=0

Edited by DJM

996 GT2 now $249k.  Genuine car, Australian delivered, 1 of 29, immaculate condition, under 50k kms and about 4k on new engine.  Non original crankcase means non original engine number so it's now priced $50k below the next cheapest GT2 on market for quick sale. SMT'ers will know the car, it's a weapon.

Try and find another at this price in this condition.....ever.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-2002/SSE-AD-4195631/?Cr=0

It has been on the market for quite a while if I remember correctly ...... non original engine number is obviously worth more than $50k .....

^^ it's been on and off market over the last year, in that time GT2 prices have been as high as $450k but not selling.    I listed at 289 recently, then 269 and as of this morning 249.  Text messages are running hot this morning so watch this space. If it doesn't sell at that I'll keep it.  Its not getting a lot of use now but no need to give it away.

It has been on the market for quite a while if I remember correctly ...... non original engine number is obviously worth more than $50k .....

How do you value a car of that age which is not matching numbers. To start with, I wonder whether somebody who is going to buy a GT2 is that worried about "only" $50k difference (if that is what it really is)? If you are looking for a GT2, you probably know how much they sell for so have the budget accordingly. It's easy to say when you don't have the money, but I think I would stick with the matching numbers, fully original etc.

So this leaves those who aren't looking for a GT2 but might be tempted because, although they were looking for something else, this price puts it into their bracket. So what is it competing against?

The market is a funny thing. It seems like a great car with nice to have mods. Surely somebody will see it as an opportunity to buy a car they wouldn't otherwise afford to buy.

All the commentary around value reduction due to non matching engine number is pure speculation,  if other cars had sold at asking prices and mine hadn't, then we'd have a measure.  The reality is one car came on market and was marked sold at $405k within a week over a year ago.  Probably a bullshit sale but it lead to 5 or 6 others coming on market from high 3 to mid 4 and to my knowledge none sold.  All of them have been trimming price back over time, So I don't think we know what a matching number car is worth so it's then pretty difficult to say what mine is worth.  I would have thought $50k is well over the "discount" that should apply but what the hell, at 249k surely it's good buying.

Put aside collector value, a brand new $65k engine (which retains every GT2 component except crankcase #) vs an unknown 14 year old engine can't be that much of a deterrent?  based on enquiry this morning, it seems to now be priced about right. 

Edited by DJM

DJM

I happen to agree with your comment about the engine. The challenge is that you as the seller and me as an observer don't decide what it's worth. The buyers do. What interests me is trying to understand buyer behavior and therefore what really drives prices. It's like property values.

Good luck with the sale. I know from my own experiences that it's a frustrating time, particularly when you don't really understand why or how the market is valuing your car.

Hell of a project for someone.

For the amount of work/cash this will take to make it into a nice car is it worth that??

Weld a roof on $5k, panels purchase $10k, engine gearbox $20k,spray job $20k, wheels seats etc etc.

All the commentary around value reduction due to non matching engine number is pure speculation,  if other cars had sold at asking prices and mine hadn't, then we'd have a measure.  The reality is one car came on market and was marked sold at $405k within a week over a year ago.  Probably a bullshit sale but it lead to 5 or 6 others coming on market from high 3 to mid 4 and to my knowledge none sold.  All of them have been trimming price back over time, So I don't think we know what a matching number car is worth so it's then pretty difficult to say what mine is worth.  I would have thought $50k is well over the "discount" that should apply but what the hell, at 249k surely it's good buying.

Put aside collector value, a brand new $65k engine (which retains every GT2 component except crankcase #) vs an unknown 14 year old engine can't be that much of a deterrent?  based on enquiry this morning, it seems to now be priced about right. 

I'd be all over this if I didn't have to worry about $. Matching numbers pfft! It's a ripper car and improved thanks to the original engine mishap.

I'm also sceptical about GT2 'sales' in the 3's. I think it's a decent price. Hopefully it works out and you get to move on and we get a new PFA GT2 owner.

"pfffft", well said.  

The photo below (and ensuing consequences) will never happen to my car again thanks to Carillos.  But no doubt there are plenty of buyers who'd rather spend $50k more to get matching numbers.  In my view that's a potentially expensive gamble on 14 year old, factory underdone rods.  I suppose it's not an issue if you want a car to brag about, polish and drive to cars and coffee.  But if you want a car to drive hard as the maker intended and not worry when it might go bang, give me a call.

Enough from me,  let's see what the market thinks.  I'm off to have a glass of non matching label (but cheap) wine.

IMG_2266.jpg

Edited by DJM

there is just no killing KLASSY...the bloody thing just keeps popping up. a bit like dog shit on your shoe...you just can't get rid of it :) 

Even the normally fearless Zag brothers think it's beyond them and want it gone!

I wonder what Zag managed to get it for. The 930 running gear, gauges and the front seats they've salvaged would be worth a bit. 

I can't see anything left though - I'm sure they will have taken the 930 brakes as well (I think it had them).

I'm going to miss it.