Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

Well, not really interesting, except that the proper chancers are out now...

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-944-1988/OAG-AD-13394672/?Cr=1

Seriously, for a 944S, not even an S2 or T, with 260,000km...???

Ridiculous.  The only thing more amusing than the ambitious price is the pathetic spiel and language, which seems to indicate comprehensible English is an optional extra...

Really - what is the point of an advertisement like this? It isn't likely to sell the car, regardless of the price.

crikey that c4s dropped 22k in price in one day! Was 82k yesterday.

Pickles on line auctions has two 924's. 

A 1979 and a 1981, neither are write offs. No rego, but they look like they have potential, starting price is $2, located in SA.

My wife says no I can't have one. hopefully someone here grabs them. 

Benz just sold for $185,000 and leaving the country. Will probably be resold for $285,000. The few left have increased in value eh?
https://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/2016-shannons-sydney-winter-classic-auction/DX3385LDF0CA7RE8/

I had a look for a friend Taz that was keen to bid. It's originally a UK car and not matching numbers as had a motor replacement at some stage and needs paint. Had a guide of $125 so $185 is a crazy price for that car, but someone wanted it badly.  I have been trying to,source some old MB's for a collector and it's getting hard to buy an AU matching # car at a realistic price that isn't getting snapped up and sent back to the old dart.?

I had a look for a friend Taz that was keen to bid. It's originally a UK car and not matching numbers as had a motor replacement at some stage and needs paint. Had a guide of $125 so $185 is a crazy price for that car, but someone wanted it badly.  I have been trying to,source some old MB's for a collector and it's getting hard to buy an AU matching # car at a realistic price that isn't getting snapped up and sent back to the old dart.?

As always , demand determines price (value being subjective). Yes these are desirable items for collectors , but clearly many cars suffer from not being properly maintained. And they are certainly no cheaper to restore than old Porsches! 

Edit:  just a little tweak....

Though I reckon Oz delivery cars could be had for same similar money

I somehow read past that. That's about the right price for a UK car. 3 Oz delivered S's have all sold in the last week at varying prices. Low to mid $50's is the sweet spot. 

What's fun is that you can still see the original dealer ad description of the car on the dealer's website. Among other things, they said

I don't know much about consumer protection law, and nothing about anything in Victoria, but surely there has to be some protection 3 weeks after buying a car and the seller seems to imply they aren't honouring the warranty. Something doesn't seem to add up. So i dug a little.

When you look at the details of the warranty (downloadable off dealer website), it is pretty clear that suspension components aren't covered and with the brakes, only "the master cylinder, booster and calipers" are covered. On the face of it, the faults might not be covered at all by the warranty - I always am very suspicious of after market warranties and this supports that view. However, shouldn't this still leave the customer protected by some sort of statutory rights? The description on the dealer website alone has to be considered misleading, to say the least.

Or is there really so little protection for the consumer? Does this reinforce my buying habits of only buying new or classics, and in the case of the latter, only after a proper ppi.

On a side note I bought my car which was 2 years into an existing 5 year Lorbek warranty.  When it came to the crunch they would not transfer the warranty to me.....The excuse was that the previous owner had sent proof of service, which keeps the warranty valid, several days late which in turn had made it non transferable. But he was still able to make claims?....I didn't even bother.....To be honest I'd factored it out of the equation as they are generally not worth the paper they are written on....

Jim.

Edited by Jim45

On a side note I bought my car which was 2 years into an existing 5 year Lorbek warranty.  When it came to the crunch they would not transfer the warranty to me.....The excuse was that the previous owner had sent proof of service, which keeps the warranty valid, several days late which in turn had made it non transferable. But he was still able to make claims?....I didn't even bother.....To be honest I'd factored it out of the equation as they are generally not worth the paper they are written on....

Jim.

They are more of an insurance policy than a warranty, with many loop holes and restrictions to wade through. Agree "not worth the paper they are written on"