Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

Need some experienced advice from this group please.

I am a new comer here but a long term Porsche fan.

Trying to get my first Porsche now that the kids are done etc.

Found a 2003 996TT Auto silver with 31K at Ferrari Maserati Sydney. Flew down looked at it drove it liked it put a deposit on it. Following day asked for a PPI to be included on the contract (Was still in the cooling off period).

PPI has raised issues with an engine oil leak to be investigated, bump stops and top struts t be changed on suspension, horn not working, old tyres, engine mount sag, sweaty radiators. Few other minor issues with window seals, door trims and wiper blades.

Good compression and cylinder leak tests.

After pledging lots of support the dealer is cooling their heels for the last 12 days (people on leave and now case with owner of dealership).

Whats the feeling from the group. The car is not cheap (>120) so I expect everything to be fixed. I am attracted by the mileage but keeping a cool head about the potential costs in the medium term.

Would value some sage advice.....

NSW has to give you a warranty regardless.. your price top heavy .. front struts are likely to need top mounts too…and more

Oil leak is it rear engine main? ..could need engine out..

Tyres ..you would want some good ones. I would say you could be talking 10k of anyones money..hence the the delay.. demand Porsche parts.

However.. one thing that could be said on the pro side.. if they do all this ..then you know the state of play.. remember low Kms isnt an insurance policy,  I have just done suspension on my car later model  @20kms only recently , possibly some prior faulty parts but none the less ..

Good luck and remember your money is king

Thanks for all the responses and advice.

Not sure about it being a X50. No X50 in the codes.

I agree with your estimate Symsy. The PPI was at Porsche Sydney. They have quoted on some of the items but left out the oil leak (top of engine apparently).

Lets see what they say today.

Low mile almost always = oil leaks for these cars, particularly with the full dry sump system. 

$120k is that + ORC? 

Either way, it's quite a bit of coin for a  car with that PPI result. 

I would take Symsy advice! 

Its priced like a car that's "correct" so that's exactly what you should be getting. 

Under the contract you signed will the deposit be refunded in full if you request it? If so take it and walk. Low ks or not, it's got problems that shouldn't be there and it's at least 10k overpriced anyway without all those problems, you'll end up paying 20k over the average if you suck it up and follow through on the sale.

If you can't get the deposit back under the contract, more fool you, for trusting gold toothed men in shiny suits with slicked back hair wearing a 10 buck watch and servo sunnies, well for actually trusting just about any seller. When are people going to realise if you throw your perfect shiny coins into cloudy water you may not see them again when the waters become murky. Make sure on the next one you only throw your perfect coins into clear settled water where you are able to fish them straight back out again. Read Don't put coin down until PPI has been done - unless it's a screaming bargain and play the odds of risk.

Under the contract you signed will the deposit be refunded in full if you request it? If so take it and walk. Low ks or not, it's got problems that shouldn't be there and it's at least 10k overpriced anyway without all those problems, you'll end up paying 20k over the average if you suck it up and follow through on the sale.

If you can't get the deposit back under the contract, more fool you, for trusting gold toothed men in shiny suits with slicked back hair wearing a 10 buck watch and servo sunnies, well for actually trusting just about any seller. When are people going to realise if you throw your perfect shiny coins into cloudy water you may not be able to fish them out again when the waters become murky. Make sure on the next one you only throw your perfect shiny coins into clear settled water where you are able to fish them straight back out again. Read Don't put coin down until PPI has been done - unless it's a screaming bargain and play the odds of risk.

When our baby was born, I spent 6 months as a stay at home dad. We had Foxtel at the time, and I got hooked on a show called The People's Court. It's very funny, and you can watch it with a grain of salt. The premise of the show is people battling out their issues on tv in 'court'. The upside of watching a show like this is that you learn to dot your 'i's and cross your 't's.

There were a lot of cases where people bought dodgy cars and chose to get them inspected AFTER the purchase. Of course this is where they discovered issues with the car, and the judge always ruled in the seller's favour. Her advice was to always have a used car inspected, no matter what, BEFORE any negotiations or purchase. The other advice that is really useful is to write everything down, she even advised using a crayon and toilet paper if that's all that was available. And get it signed by both parties. If they won't sign, don't hand over a cent. If they refuse a PPI, run away as fast as you can

Ferrari Maserati dealership....probably still looking for the engine

and being slow to respond is also burning up your cooling off period, If it was me I would be refunding and moving on as it's not the only TT out there, but your coin.

How would it change proceedings if you only have an agreement to allow you to do a PPI and the contract isn't subject to it?

It seems with the little information given that the contract was signed before the PPI request, so not included.

I'm thinking the dealer has a sales contract that he is waiting for you to finalize and he is waiting you out. Heard of this before.

I hope I'm wrong.

Old mate years back took a car back to the stealer (independant semi prestige) with one month left on warranty with straighforward warranty issues. "No worries we'll get onto it"... over a month later of delaying and holding the car "ït's outta warranty now and here's a quote for the repairs if you want to pay and go ahead with them" he took the car .... and paid many late night visits to the yard over the following months

Old mate years back took a car back to the stealer (independant semi prestige) with one month left on warranty with straighforward warranty issues. "No worries we'll get onto it"... over a month later of delaying and holding the car "ït's outta warranty now and here's a quote for the repairs if you want to pay and go ahead with them" he took the car .... and paid many late night visits to the yard over the following months

Legally he'd have a case here, as he alerted the stealer to the issues during the warranty period. If proceedings are initiated, they remain valid

Legally he'd have a case here, as he alerted the stealer to the issues during the warranty period. If proceedings are initiated, they remain valid

Yes agreed - but in the real world and all that's involved, it aint worth chasing through the system what is effectively your 10k that someone else has and wont return it, think time, stress and cost - and no guarantee you will get back your $$$ cost and also the 10k in question. Old mate reckons he got 30k of satisfaction his own way.......

And a Bump from previous page 958, BBChris - what on earth was this "car enthusiast" thinking? Did he not have any mates to stop him? Quick way to loose a year of leisure time and $30, 40, 50? grand. It's practically worthless - except to let the kids play in it or dog sleep in it

9716130d749525108ec4821348a1cd2e.jpg

Found a 2003 996TT Auto silver with 31K at Ferrari Maserati Sydney. Flew down looked at it drove it liked it put a deposit on it. Following day asked for a PPI to be included on the contract (Was still in the cooling off period).

PPI has raised issues with an engine oil leak to be investigated, bump stops and top struts t be changed on suspension, horn not working, old tyres, engine mount sag, sweaty radiators. Few other minor issues with window seals, door trims and wiper blades.

After pledging lots of support the dealer is cooling their heels for the last 12 days (people on leave and now case with owner of dealership).

Whats the feeling from the group. The car is not cheap (>120) so I expect everything to be fixed. I am attracted by the mileage but keeping a cool head about the potential costs in the medium term.

Personally, I'd be walking away from that. At that price and with those kays, I wouldn't be expecting the issues you've listed. There seems to be quite a few 996TT's around the $100k mark. I'd be looking to buy private with robust history and a PPI from a reputable source. 

Best piece of used car / bike buying advice I've ever been given is to buy on condition, not on kays. 

996TT 'Coming Soon' to Autohaus... $95k. 

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-2001/OAG-AD-14439335/?Cr=10 

And this looks like a bargain @ $85k asking: 

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-2002/SSE-AD-1057124/?Cr=15 

So much choice currently in 996TT. No need to compromise. 

As the old saying goes, "Tell 'em they're dreamin".... $120k+ with those probs & with other cars available? NO! Move on!  It may have low mileage but looks like it may have been driven hard. I did the same with duttons last yr, paid a deposit based on PPI ok and PPI not ok. Duttons paid me in full, no prob. As should these guys.

Also, if you do proceed against the forums advice.... be warned, in my experience, dealers tend to not fix stuff like your mechanic would when you pay. They fix to get the deal, you fix for love!! 

Well dickwad :) front wheel arch is way wrong as is the rear and the rear vent.... I love the 959 and a kit can look good, this one misses a bit plus the wrong wheels, but mostly just wanted to call you a dickwad :P

The entire car is wrong but ALMOST wouldn't worry me at 35K ....Yes dickwad, an often unheard masterpiece of Aussie slang seldom heard these days. You've been itching to call me something since I downgraded a dirty import poofy coloured lefty 928 a few years back. Took you that long to get something on me, two heads?:P