What's for sale (Internationally) that's interesting Thread

Hi Guys - interesting car. Costs to import are pretty easy to approximate:

Purchase price  - $137,000 OZ ($110,000US)

shipping - $5k OZ (approx)

GST worked out on 10% of  purchase price + shipping costs - = $14,200 OZ

LCT - 30% tax on anything over $60k (purchase price) approximately. So 30% of $77K = $23,100 OZ

So total costs to land in Australia i recon would be about $180k

You then have compliance and this is where it might get difficult. As far as I understand it you need the car to be near original. This car has clearly been heavily modified so I'm not sure how you would go with this one. Supposed to be a non inter cooled car -  I have no idea the cost to undo that ...From memory I spent at least another $10k getting mine through compliance and then rego. Has to be at least a $200k cost before you get it in the road would be my thoughts.

You can probably shave $25-30k off that if you look at GST and LCT another way. When bringing in a car from overseas, you want to work out whether purchase price or a valuation on landing will produce the lowest value to base taxes on. Remember, the valuation on landing is for a car that is not road registered and is done on the basis that it cannot be registered. So how much is a LHD modified 930 that cannot be road registered worth? $75k? Less maybe?

That still says it will cost north of, say, $170k to get on the road, plus a fair amount of heart ache. I cannot see that it is worth it. 

You can probably shave $25-30k off that if you look at GST and LCT another way. When bringing in a car from overseas, you want to work out whether purchase price or a valuation on landing will produce the lowest value to base taxes on. Remember, the valuation on landing is for a car that is not road registered and is done on the basis that it cannot be registered. So how much is a LHD modified 930 that cannot be road registered worth? $75k? Less maybe?

That still says it will cost north of, say, $170k to get on the road, plus a fair amount of heart ache. I cannot see that it is worth it. 

Agree that it is probably not worth it.  I will stick with local purchases.  Thanks for the feedback everyone

Hi Guys - interesting car. Costs to import are pretty easy to approximate:

Purchase price  - $137,000 OZ ($110,000US)

shipping - $5k OZ (approx)

GST worked out on 10% of  purchase price + shipping costs - = $14,200 OZ

LCT - 30% tax on anything over $60k (purchase price) approximately. So 30% of $77K = $23,100 OZ

So total costs to land in Australia i recon would be about $180k

You then have compliance and this is where it might get difficult. As far as I understand it you need the car to be near original. This car has clearly been heavily modified so I'm not sure how you would go with this one. Supposed to be a non inter cooled car -  I have no idea the cost to undo that ...From memory I spent at least another $10k getting mine through compliance and then rego. Has to be at least a $200k cost before you get it in the road would be my thoughts.

Question only out of curiosity: if you were planning on club registration only, would compliance still be necessary? 

Edited by ScottyP

I don't think compliance is going to be that strict.   You can engineer-shop to find the right person.  Whoever did mine was pretty lax. Or maybe that was because it was brought in as a personal import.

Im guessing turbot got Autohaus to do his and they would have been thorough to protect their reputation.   Others mileage may vary as the saying goes.

Personal imports (12 months rule) comply to different rules. Effectively, all that they need to do is certify the car meets certain basic criteria such as safety and you can bring in a highly modified car. In the case of importing a car from overseas under normal rules, it needs to be ADR compliant. I believe that applies to club rego as well. My understanding is you cannot go for any registration until the compliance plate has been fitted, which means that the compliance is "blind" of the rego criteria.

Personal imports (12 months rule) comply to different rules. Effectively, all that they need to do is certify the car meets certain basic criteria such as safety and you can bring in a highly modified car. In the case of importing a car from overseas under normal rules, it needs to be ADR compliant. I believe that applies to club rego as well. My understanding is you cannot go for any registration until the compliance plate has been fitted, which means that the compliance is "blind" of the rego criteria.

I believe club rego still requires the vehicle to have a roadworthy certificate, so it would need to be complied for this reason

I don't think compliance is going to be that strict.   You can engineer-shop to find the right person.  Whoever did mine was pretty lax. Or maybe that was because it was brought in as a personal import.

Im guessing turbot got Autohaus to do his and they would have been thorough to protect their reputation.   Others mileage may vary as the saying goes.

I believe club rego still requires the vehicle to have a roadworthy certificate, so it would need to be complied for this reason

I am guessing compliance may have many interpretations. I think it will also depend on the age of the car. As my turbo was a 76, I think I avoided having to have later safety additions. Something I heard about later cars needed side impact strengthening. From memory my list included:

1. update front headlight lenses to RHD versions. We sourced period correct originals and I have kept the LHD ones naturally

2. The inspection was done with the car wearing the correct size/period fuchs -  Autohaus lent me some  

3. front seat belts had to be upgraded. I also added a child seat anchor in the back, but this wasn't requested

4. speedo changeover - again autohaus found one that we put in for inspection, but after I changed it back to the original. No way this car is going to be tarnished with the dirty import  lost mileage brush. It is a dirty import though..

I recon that was about it. For $12k I clearly must have requested a few other things ;)  - so maybe can be done for alot cheaper. Still - no compliance, no rego as far as I know.

I never tested the theory that a car is less worth when you import it. In my case the shipping company control all this process so you need to declare the cars value prior to them shipping with a receipt . They pass this onto the government who inturn let them know how much tax is owed. The car isn't released until this is paid. Of course the receipt is often part of the deal ;) .

No idea when by 912 POLO project will be coming into Australia but Autohaus were the ones who recommended the polo engine especially as it would meet compliance as is it still regarded standard as it is still a 4 cylinder. They better be right! - but maybe another example of how grey this area is

You should just need an engineers certificate for the Polo Tom. SA regs require power specs, yet as the 911 of the same year was heavier and more power than the 912, but has the same chassis and brakes, I reckon you'll be fine. Still, it is vehicle standards, so maybe pull a plug lead off on the dyno to give a lower power output print out ?

I never tested the theory that a car is less worth when you import it. In my case the shipping company control all this process so you need to declare the cars value prior to them shipping with a receipt . They pass this onto the government who inturn let them know how much tax is owed. The car isn't released until this is paid. Of course the receipt is often part of the deal ;) .

Seriously, Tim, you need to change shipping agent if that is the way they work. It will save you thousands of dollars. The key is that the valuer has to value it as a car that does not comply with Oz regs and which cannot be registered. He is not allowed to consider that it might get registered, for a very good reason. If taxes are paid on a  future value that isn't realised, you would have a claim for the difference between what you should have paid and what you did pay. 

This isn't some untried "scam" way of avoiding tax. It is the way all the trade bring in old cars and the import agent I used who was then dealing with cars every week said he didn't bring them in any other way. My 964 RS was valued at $24k when I brought it in when the value once registered was probably $100k. I cannot remember the exact figure, but the saving on tax was over $20k.

I would recommend that anybody looking at bringing a car into Oz speaks to a range of import agents until you find one that understands this way of bringing in a car and can show a track record of doing so.

already on sold. I'll just use Coastr 's engineer :ph34r:

unfortunately he went out of business and no longer exists.  Bummer.

Also SimonN speaks the truth.  Any shipping agent that isn't valuing the car as landed on the docks as an unregistered and no compliance car is doing it wrong.  A car with no registration and no compliance plate is a racetrack special or paddock basher until those things are done.   Look at the uncertainty here form people who have been through the process.  How can you value a car when nobody knows for sure what it will take to get it on the road?  Ask yourself what you would get if you traded it in that condition - the dealer would screw you mercilessly.  That's the value for import reasons.

The whole thing is amazing (engine bay looks pretty special), and currently at $25k a bargain!

Agreed - but the engine bay is probably the one thing on a 928 that you can restore without too much drama - as we all know the fragile interior pieces are like hens teeth. That factory waxoil on the underbody is pretty special also

Agreed - but the engine bay is probably the one thing on a 928 that you can restore without too much drama - as we all know the fragile interior pieces are like hens teeth. That factory waxoil on the underbody is pretty special also

I was just judging it against my car. My interior is, if I say so myself, pretty bloody nice, the engine bay needs a lot to get it to the same......

Big question is, would you drive it regularly? Obviously depends on how much it sells for......

Seriously, Tim, you need to change shipping agent if that is the way they work. It will save you thousands of dollars. The key is that the valuer has to value it as a car that does not comply with Oz regs and which cannot be registered. He is not allowed to consider that it might get registered, for a very good reason. If taxes are paid on a  future value that isn't realised, you would have a claim for the difference between what you should have paid and what you did pay. 

This isn't some untried "scam" way of avoiding tax. It is the way all the trade bring in old cars and the import agent I used who was then dealing with cars every week said he didn't bring them in any other way. My 964 RS was valued at $24k when I brought it in when the value once registered was probably $100k. I cannot remember the exact figure, but the saving on tax was over $20k.

I would recommend that anybody looking at bringing a car into Oz speaks to a range of import agents until you find one that understands this way of bringing in a car and can show a track record of doing so.

that Tim bloke is a dickhead..

all good  - no LCT on minty 912's ;)