What's for sale (Internationally) that's interesting Thread

yes, very neat & clean looking. But the 911 has wipers set for RHD by the looks  but it's a LHD car.  Could this imply some dodginess maybe afoot? (I'm no expert, just a mug on me hand held device looking at a pic!)

oh... and where's the price ? I.e. show me the money!!

Edited by Philbee
$$

Was discussing bckdates and hotrods with the BRO in law.. not bad for around 50k Aud..  http://m.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C893692

Tell me again why our hacked around cars .. of that age are so bloody expensive , surely the Aus tax shouldnt be a consideration for ever..

Tuthill's have a good reputation too for their work

Was discussing bckdates and hotrods with the BRO in law.. not bad for around 50k Aud..  http://m.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C893692

Tell me again why our hacked around cars .. of that age are so bloody expensive , surely the Aus tax shouldnt be a consideration for ever..

Tuthill's have a good reputation too for their work

That's my kinda car!

"Tell me again why our hacked around cars .. of that age are so bloody expensive , surely the Aus tax shouldnt be a consideration for ever.."

its some sort of viral disease released on the world via the "singer" superbug. It infected people that previously frowned upon a modded old Porsche to something rare, admired and a thing of beauty. And I paid the price too. The bug had well and truly infected the dealer and prev owner - they wouldn't budge under 6 figures. And me the sucker also infected, felt the lure too great.  Help us Symsy, you're our only hope!! Slap some sense into us !!

A car that started life such as this.... and stayed such as this

Porsche-911-SC-02.jpg

Has to be worth more than the same car turned into this 

IMG_9265.a.jpg

or this

1970_Porsche_911_17600.jpg

And the last 2 should in theory have the same reduced value. They do in my world.....

But one that is a lower value and won't be collectible can truly be enjoyed in any form that the owner wants ;)

A car that started life such as this.... and stayed such as this

Has to be worth more than the same car turned into this 

or this

1970_Porsche_911_17600.jpg

And the last 2 should in theory have the same reduced value. They do in my world.....

Yeah but which one do you want to DRIVE?

The answer is easy for me.  Gimme the silver bastard child!

I couldn't bare to keep the original one original, or to pay the premium for it.  That's all well and good if you're buying to sit back and stroke your self, I mean ego, about.  Or if your goal is to be savvy about your financial investment in a car.  

That's all great, but life is short. Get out and DRIVE!

Yeah but which one do you want to DRIVE?

The answer is easy for me.  Gimme the silver bastard child!

I couldn't bare to keep the original one original, or to pay the premium for it.  That's all well and good if you're buying to sit back and stroke your self, I mean ego, about.  Or if your goal is to be savvy about your financial investment in a car.  

That's all great, but life is short. Get out and DRIVE!

Hi Five.  Bro Knuckles.  Cold not agree more.  If you value driving, why pay more for less?

Rock on Trev! 

All the talk of values drives me nuts. I get it, people don't wish to lose money on a sizeable purchase, and that's fair enough, but why on earth buy a car if you're not going to drive it at ANY given opportunity? 

I shouldn't even own my 911 when I have a mortgage and not flushed with cash, yet I do because DRIVING IT makes me happy in all kinds of weather, and I don't have to answer to my missus who always tells me to get out and drive it when I can, as life is too short! Buy a car that you CAN drive and puts a smile on ya face everytime, not leave it under a car cover in a humididty controlled room to win a pissing contest

To be a little contrary I can see how it might happen with the best of intentions.  You're rich, you roll into Duttons, you see an amazing condition older original car, you sit in it and it takes you back to 'the day', you drive it and you're overwhelmed by nostalgia.  It's rare, original, a survivor and you're used to the best in life and you have the cash, so why not?  So you buy it with no intentions one way or the other.  You get it home and walk around it, take photos, adore it.  Then you drive it and suddenly everything becomes a missile designed to somehow ruin your car that has passed through many careful hands and endured a long passage of time.  Are you going to be the guy who let's the car down and takes a large financial hit?  5 years later the air in the tyres is a stale as the fuel.

Hard life being rich no?

I think you have all missed my point? The unmodified car is not the most expensive option in aus the back dated one is! Whether you build yourself or buy one already done, it is more expensive to do so and this to me is ludicrous.... in years to come it will revert back as forward dating did......

Yes buy to drive but why pay more for something trying to pretend to be something it is not? I know I am in a very small % of this forum, but that is fine with me.

I think you have all missed my point? The unmodified car is not the most expensive option in aus the back dated one is! Whether you build yourself or buy one already done, it is more expensive to do so and this to me is ludicrous.... in years to come it will revert back as forward dating did......

Yes buy to drive but why pay more for something trying to pretend to be something it is not? I know I am in a very small % of this forum, but that is fine with me.

This isn't a conversation so much as a series of parallel monologues.  You said something?  Back to tomato sauce.

For me, I looked at all Porsches and just happen to like the look of the older long hoodie 911  types and the ducktail the best,  stripped  out interiors, the  spartan look. The orig old cars are a bit lacking technically for me. So, the answer was a backdated RS. But the orig is $1m, or a singer is $750k....mine was a bargain therefore and has upgraded gears & engine - winning!!

This is a bit of a weird one

s-l1000.jpg

Fully restored.

Unique , perfectly done recreation of an Targa on the base of an 993 "Targa".
Price includes layover in my guesthouse in Mauritus, accompanied free flight from Mauritius to Germany, extended Testdrive, and free Shipping to Australia.
Australian Duty an Custom fees Not included.

$165K

This is a bit of a weird one

s-l1000.jpg

Fully restored.

Unique , perfectly done recreation of an Targa on the base of an 993 "Targa".
Price includes layover in my guesthouse in Mauritus, accompanied free flight from Mauritius to Germany, extended Testdrive, and free Shipping to Australia.
Australian Duty an Custom fees Not included.

$165K

Porsche should have kept the old design as they have gone back to it now, Looks good on that 993

To be a little contrary I can see how it might happen with the best of intentions.  You're rich, you roll into Duttons, you see an amazing condition older original car, you sit in it and it takes you back to 'the day', you drive it and you're overwhelmed by nostalgia.  It's rare, original, a survivor and you're used to the best in life and you have the cash, so why not?  So you buy it with no intentions one way or the other.  You get it home and walk around it, take photos, adore it.  Then you drive it and suddenly everything becomes a missile designed to somehow ruin your car that has passed through many careful hands and endured a long passage of time.  Are you going to be the guy who let's the car down and takes a large financial hit?  5 years later the air in the tyres is a stale as the fuel.

Hard life being rich no?

the other scenario is, through a period of ownership, the value skyrockets.  I bought my GT2 for $125k and at one stage (according to carsales) one sold in Sydney for $405k or so.   I was about a year in.....

Even though "only" $125k of my hard earned was invested, all of a sudden punting around Phillip Island at 265km/h in a now $400k car seemed a bit daft.  Happy days to consider a big financial gain.  Pissed off that tracking it  could mean significant financial "loss".  I am a DRIVER not a polisher but the soaring value played with my mind.  Unless you are SERIOUSLYloaded to the point you can bin $400k and not care, I reckon most people would be affected like I was.

First world problems of course.  Sold it in the low 2s after 2 years.  And in reality, I doubt any GT2s ever changed hands over mid 2s.  Don't believe the hype folks.

im very happy with my rocket ship $17k Mazda track car that is never going to be worth a lot and I can drive HARD and not give a shit.

there is space in the garage for the next P car.  heres hoping I don't buy well and see the value increase.....cos that would be a disaster.??

Edited by DJM

^^ can't be a genuine RSR at that price?  I could see myself punting that through Reefton spur on an SMT.  My kind of hotrod - not neat and pretty singer but hard core.  And apparently it goes like a "scalded ape" .  I assume that's faster that a scalded cat.??

A$150k at the current exchange rate.