New line up for top gear?

turboT

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I like three out of the four selections, Chris Evans is an acquired taste and I wonder if it's an English thing that he I don't get because I don't have the context for his humour?  But the other three are good choices.

TBH I was wondering prior to the punching incident whether Top Gear had jumped the shark and they had become caricatures of themselves  Their adventures  had become so obviously scripted and were definitely not real.  They did one episode in the last season that was just car reviews and it was brilliant, fantastic photography with great insight on the cars.  The remainder were really semi scripted adventures and the cars had just become MacGuffins in order for them to 'cock around' (as they called it).  Definitely appealed to the broader population but to my mind not as appealing to the more serious petrol head.

Hopefully this is a move to a bit less of the scripted adventures and back to car fascination.

Pity they couldn't get Jenson Button rather than Coulthard.  Coulthard is a bit to dry and technical where as Jenson has a more charisma, but Jenson has chosen to spend one more season coming last in a McLaren.

Sabine and Chris will definitely bring some passion and driving ability, if they can capture Chris Harris' infectious enthusiasm from his Youtube videos they will have some good content.  Would love to see a video of Sabine and Coulthard fighting over who can set the fastest times at the Nurburgring.

Also means that Clarkson et al have a chance to shake up/refeesh their shtick a bit with their new Amazon show and we will have two good motoring shows to watch, so potential win/win for all of us :)

About time Alan de Cadenet did another series. He is all class.

The new Top Gear will be "safe"and of course politically correct. No sexist jokes from Sabine.

The old Top Gear will be the same , yet different. I suspect they realise it's move or die with respect to the times. 

In any case , the 2016 channel changer has a lot more buttons than the 1986 version :D

• 1 month later...

Ex 'Friends' actor Matt Le Blanc is to feature in the show.

As for Chris Evans. Whats the point of having a car show presenter who gets driven around at speed by Sabine Whatsherface and ends up crook from being car sick? 

Anyone watched that new jay Leno show?

someone should tell him to lay off the pies. Can barely fit in his seat/car/helmet..

not a great show either

A funny guy at times, yet I can't get past the occasional arrogance and talking over people

A funny guy at times, yet I can't get past the occasional arrogance and talking over people

Very true, clearly takes a "my house, my rule approach". Was watching a couple of his old youtube eps last night on the GT2/3 in which he cut off the expert showing the car on a number of occasions. I don't think he means to come across that way, but clearly the guy doesn't give two shits. He insists on double denim, enough said.

I am hoping it will work, as like most good things TG had lost its way(nothing stays good for ever) and as said above was almost a parody of itself in the end.

Chris Harris and Sabine are a great addition although Sabine was already a semi-regular anyway. I think Coulthard may surprise many as he has a great sense of humour that IMO is like a typical aussie one being on the dry side, and he can drive nd translate the tech stuff well.

Matt Leblanc could be a good/bad move and only time will tell but he is a car nut and was the quickest guest in a reasonably priced car, so can drive too.

The thing about why top gear lost the plot was it was trying too hard to be funny and staging everything and that was the worst part of the aussie and US versions, so I am hoping they go back to it being about the cars and the humour is more organic, like the early days of TG. Maybe it will be more of the same and a flop but fingers crossed. Anyway I can see the line up working if handled right.

Very true, clearly takes a "my house, my rule approach". Was watching a couple of his old youtube eps last night on the GT2/3 in which he cut off the expert showing the car on a number of occasions. I don't think he means to come across that way, but clearly the guy doesn't give two shits. He insists on double denim, enough said.

What is that double denim thing ....Being a classic bike nut I find his bike reviews on his collection the best overall of any I've seen ..I like the guy, taking into account that he's a billionaire yank, he comes across pretty common really and that's just his style, no doubting his full on passion and likes getting his hands dirty on the stuff too.....

he made his dough as a talk show host.  They have to cut off guests to keep it tight.  I think it strikes the right pacing for the most part.  Car shows made for anoraks like us always fail.

the double denim is for continuity.  It means he can shoot all different segments at different times and not worry about stitching it together.  Clarkson makes a few sly references to this issue during TG episodes.  Lenos solution is low budget, practical and gives him a 'brand' like flowery shirts or cowboy boots.

Archived