Depends what sort of driving you want to do, yet personally, I think you'll regret buying an auto

You are right Lee generally, however if I could get an inexpensive AND reliable auto at a price where I could easily afford a manual as well for the weekends I'd get on it straight away.  

That all sounds good Jason but you will have to factor in maintaining 2 944's, and you know yourself from what you have seen this could be a daunting prospect, they are not getting any younger and switches etc can add up, throw 2 lots of belts in and a couple of other exy items and you would be better off waiting for 1 good one.

That all sounds good Jason but you will have to factor in maintaining 2 944's, and you know yourself from what you have seen this could be a daunting prospect, they are not getting any younger and switches etc can add up, throw 2 lots of belts in and a couple of other exy items and you would be better off waiting for 1 good one.

Ever the voice of reason & wisdom Stephen.  I do tend to get a little "enthusiastic" at times.

cheers,

JE

You are right Lee generally, however if I could get an inexpensive AND reliable auto at a price where I could easily afford a manual as well for the weekends I'd get on it straight away.  

Surely better to combine funds and get a decent manual... Or am I missing something???

I would rather buy something I'd enjoy driving on any day of the week. I gave up looking for a decent 944S2 or T in my budget and looked for something different. Had the S4 not come my way, there were other marques/models that could satisfy my criteria. Anything other than get an auto. A Porsche with an auto box is still an auto - I get that some like it, but that's not why I'd get a 944.

Ok so this is a Jap import left hooker, but what is wrong with this car, anyone looked at it.

1987 Porsche 944 Turbo Manual

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-944-1987/SSE-AD-3973254/?Cr=3

It's been around for a while, if it was any good you could probably get well below $24k on price.. I like driving LHD cars, I drive whenever I am in the states and find it no problems (mind you, you are on the other side of the road so that helps). It would take a bit to get used to driving gutter side over here but lots of people enjoy it...

I am interested in this car, & have talked with the owner, but I am in Qld.

Before I fly down or get a PPI it would be good to know if any PFA member have had a look at it before I commit to the next step.

Brian in buddina

Knowing this forum I'm sure someone would have a look for you.

I am interested in this car, & have talked with the owner, but I am in Qld.

Before I fly down or get a PPI it would be good to know if any PFA member have had a look at it before I commit to the next step.

Brian in buddina

Are you interested in it as a track car, as you won't be able to register it in Qld...

I would use it as a weekend drive, not as a track car. My oldest son may have other ideas about this issue though.

Its not registerable in qld...until its converted to right hand drive or

over 30 years old.

so it would be off the road till then.

I learned to drive on the other side of road.

I would use it as a weekend drive, not as a track car. My oldest son may have other ideas about this issue though.

Its not registerable in qld...until its converted to right hand drive or

over 30 years old.

so it would be off the road till then.

I learned to drive on the other side of road.

Oh bugger.

Still learning about Porsche ownership. Have done about 600km so far this weekend of Australia's south west, with more to go tomorrow. 

Loving the chance to finally get this thing out of city traffic and rev the gears out, loving the long winding roads. Loving the gravel tracks too. 

Great car. My girlfriend is getting jealous. 

I want the turbo.

image.jpgh3gd2slg5

Brian

Still have the original motor block and head etc, but rebuilt at great expense in 2011 (thanks PO) by Fitzgerald Racing, now has 40k km on it.  Rebuild was extensive, including pistons, rings, valves, springs, collets, guides, studs etc, for $22k.  210,000km on the car, but you wouldn't know it...

Brian

Still have the original motor block and head etc, but rebuilt at great expense in 2011 (thanks PO) by Fitzgerald Racing, now has 40k km on it.  Rebuild was extensive, including pistons, rings, valves, springs, collets, guides, studs etc, for $22k.  210,000km on the car, but you wouldn't know it...

Rob

oly  hit

22k motor rebuild???

do you reckon it was the previous owners lack of upkeep?

new wiring harness? did you do some addition work to update or modernise the ecu & turbo? did you still have the barn door type flow meter?

was it a close 50/50 between parts & labour on your rebuild?

In a way it would be expected on a 30 year old performance car that a rebuild it would be needed at some point and once you start you want to do it right.

be interesting to hear from other 952 owners on their motor refurbs

Brian

Just to clarify, the PO did the rebuild and I have reaped the benefits...

I have all receipts from new and the POs certainly didn't skimp on the upkeep, probably the opposite was the case.  Car had done a fair number of track days with POs and had some oil leaks and needed a "refresh".

Labour for the rebuild was ~ $7k

Machining and balancing $3750

Balance was parts and sundries, bearing in mind that 8 lifters cost $1050, 4 Mahle pistons $2800, Clutch kit $1750, Raceware conrod bolts $600, clutch release bearing fork $712 and so on.  Nothing was skimped on this rebuild and it shows in the way the car runs now, 5 years later.  No turbo or AFM upgrades, although I have put in a Tial dual port wastegate and Rogue "A" tune upgrade to ECU.

The PO spent $46k over 3 years on this car with Fitzy's. :o  Said he didn't even get a Christmas card. :(

Cheers

Rob

Brian

Just to clarify, the PO did the rebuild and I have reaped the benefits...

I have all receipts from new and the POs certainly didn't skimp on the upkeep, probably the opposite was the case.  Car had done a fair number of track days with POs and had some oil leaks and needed a "refresh".

Labour for the rebuild was ~ $7k

Machining and balancing $3750

Balance was parts and sundries, bearing in mind that 8 lifters cost $1050, 4 Mahle pistons $2800, Clutch kit $1750, Raceware conrod bolts $600, clutch release bearing fork $712 and so on.  Nothing was skimped on this rebuild and it shows in the way the car runs now, 5 years later.  No turbo or AFM upgrades, although I have put in a Tial dual port wastegate and Rogue "A" tune upgrade to ECU.

The PO spent $46k over 3 years on this car with Fitzy's. :o  Said he didn't even get a Christmas card. :(

Cheers

Rob

good buying

Still learning about Porsche ownership. Have done about 600km so far this weekend of Australia's south west, with more to go tomorrow. 

Loving the chance to finally get this thing out of city traffic and rev the gears out, loving the long winding roads. Loving the gravel tracks too. 

I want the turbo.

image.jpgh3gd2slg5

These look great in white!!  What year model is this 88?

I want the turbo.

image.jpgh3gd2slg5

love it! Porsches need to see more gravel...??

I love the white too. It's an 83

h3gd2slg5

Tell me please, how do you find the air con in the pre update car?  I had heard that it was less efficient due to the smaller dash vents in the pre updates, that & the fact that the more modernized machinery is just a newer more efficient design in the updates.  Being from Brisbane working A/C is a must.  (Plus i'm a sook & hate sweating in the car).