That white 968 too much of a budget stretch Jason?

35k is too much for a 968 in my humble opinion (which is most likely entirely uninformed).  At that sort of money I start looking at 40k Caymans & 30+k 987 Boxsters & just can't bring myself to jump at a 968 at that sort of price.  Early to mid 20s & i'd jump on that 968 for sure (but again I am probably off by a considerable margin).

35k is too much for a 968 in my humble opinion (which is most likely entirely uninformed).  At that sort of money I start looking at 40k Caymans & 30+k 987 Boxsters & just can't bring myself to jump at a 968 at that sort of price.  Early to mid 20s & i'd jump on that 968 for sure (but again I am probably off by a considerable margin).

Your guess is a good as mine as to what "older" P cars are worth now... newer ones a bit easier as more around and most are still deprecating, probably not so 968s.... but who knows :)

Make them an offer of what you think it could be worth, what is the worst that could happen, some expletives your way :P

I've sent the guy 2 messages and have not heard back. No contact details in the ad either.   Might just be fishing for a valuation... 

He's away in Melb for a few days so might just be that. I had a little back and forth and the car seems very good but I've put a deposit on something else as the need came up and I don't want to (read: my wife won't let me) buy two cars at once, or I'd be very keen on it.

If that white 968 checked out  i would go very close to swapping my 944 turbo for (after he hands me a suitable amount of cash with the trade) it, i really like these cars.

A few years ago i could have had my pick of these 968's and 944's there was plenty of good ones around, make no mistake the only ones getting sold/bought are the off market cars that get sold through word of mouth.

My advice, not that it is worth anything, is when you see a good'n, get in quick, if the white one is what it says it is i think it's a pretty fair price, if you can find another manual with a good history you will be doing well.

He's away in Melb for a few days so might just be that. I had a little back and forth and the car seems very good but I've put a deposit on something else as the need came up and I don't want to (read: my wife won't let me) buy two cars at once, or I'd be very keen on it.

Perhaps.  Although it does make me laugh sometimes when people cite travel as a reason for being out of touch.  Really, in the year 2016, with ubiquitous connectivity? 

Could be that he does not want to deal with a remote buyer since I'm OS presently. Probably not helpful to my cause. 

This forum is so interesting! I'm glad I got mine when I did! 

Just received notification from Carsales that the remaining 944 in Adelaide has been sold.

Hoped on to have a look and noted that gold one in Sydney has increased in price. Increased! 

I just heard it may have been coming up for sale.

This will be interesting, beautiful car no doubt, but $45k for a 944 ???

I'm not sure, I hope so though because if you are happy to buy this but miss it you can always buy my S2 with 144,000kms and similiar condition for $40k.......

This will be interesting, beautiful car no doubt, but $45k for a 944 ???

I'm not sure, I hope so though because if you are happy to buy this but miss it you can always buy my S2 with 144,000kms and similiar condition for $40k.......

Why not 45k? Have you seen many cars like this lately?

Is the 5k premium above your similar S2 just too much to pay for a turbo? I don't think so.

Ok call me biased but these cars and your S2 included are worth every bit of this money, i think people need to get used to and realise that these front engine cars are just as collectible as the so called purist cars.

I think the front engine cars are riding a little wave at the moment and so they should, they are good cars and they are better than what most people think. There are lots of unloved cars around including 911's and there are maintenance items that need to be done to the front engine cars just as there are to the rear engine cars. Just because the good cars are pushing up over 40k now doesn't mean they aren't worth it, i think there's more to come to the market at these prices so hold on to your hat.

Why not 45k? Have you seen many cars like this lately?

Is the 5k premium above your similar S2 just too much to pay for a turbo? I don't think so.

Ok call me biased but these cars and your S2 included are worth every bit of this money, i think people need to get used to and realise that these front engine cars are just as collectible as the so called purist cars.

I think the front engine cars are riding a little wave at the moment and so they should, they are good cars and they are better than what most people think. There are lots of unloved cars around including 911's and there are maintenance items that need to be done to the front engine cars just as there are to the rear engine cars. Just because the good cars are pushing up over 40k now doesn't mean they aren't worth it, i think there's more to come to the market at these prices so hold on to your hat.

I hope you haven't taken my light hearted comments to heart there Tingy? :) 

I'm not saying my S2 is worth $40k, exactly what the premium is between S2 and Turbo is really anyones guess, it's whatever the buyer is prepared to pay on the day for that particular car. I completely acknowledege that a turbo is worth more, we will never argue on that point, anything you read on 944's clearly states that. 

I think the prices are really hard to work out right now and I honestly don't know what a good price is. I am watching with great interest, I nealry sold mine not that long ago for $23K, right now you wouldn't buy it for an offer of $32K... I am very interested to see what 2017 holds for 944 prices. The only thing I know for sure is unless you had to you would be insane to sell one right now...

I hope you haven't taken my light hearted comments to heart there Tingy? :) 

I'm not saying my S2 is worth $40k, exactly what the premium is between S2 and Turbo is really anyones guess, it's whatever the buyer is prepared to pay on the day for that particular car. I completely acknowledege that a turbo is worth more, we will never argue on that point, anything you read on 944's clearly states that. 

I think the prices are really hard to work out right now and I honestly don't know what a good price is. I am watching with great interest, I nealry sold mine not that long ago for $23K, right now you wouldn't buy it for an offer of $32K... I am very interested to see what 2017 holds for 944 prices. The only thing I know for sure is unless you had to you would be insane to sell one right now...

No mate not at all, you are correct in what you say and seems to be the sentiment at the moment, "what, 45k for a 944?".

I don't know what the price gap between S2 and turbo is either, i have had lots of people contact me recently in regards to pricing and I'm no expert.

The only cars to go off lately for really good examples are the ones that went through CTS and we don't know what they went for ultimately, good discussion mate and one that's going to continue into next year.

I've been wondering recently what the values will do coming up to 40yrs of the 944.

Hey Jason are you all over this one https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-944-1989/SSE-AD-4268730

great dash no cracks k's a little high but looks well cared for

Thanks Tip,

I appreciate you giving me the heads up.

I spoke to the owner (seems like a nice enough bloke) shortly after this was listed on carsales & had a reasonably long conversation about the car.  In short the owner purchased the car in 2011.  Has only done 10k in the last 2 years due to owning other cars.  Owner states that the car probably needs at least 5k spent on it immediately.  States he has books with full history but was a bit sketchy when asked if he retained receipts for water pump, head gasket & belts done 3 years ago.  States he gets a "local guy" to do whatever maintenance he can't do himself.

Owner stated -

Drivers seat electrics are jammed.

Sun roof gears are knackered & need replacing - never worked during his ownership.

Rear tail light right side is broken.

Windscreen needs replacing due to "haziness".

Fine cracks in dash.

Odometer stopped working 12 months or so ago - states he believes k's are at approx 240k.

Owner mentioned the suspension was soft & probably needs money spent & went on to state bushes probably need replacing, etc.

Says the engine & transmission is strong.

All this on top of the auto trans...............  Now I haven't driven one of this model in an auto. The larger engine may help the 3 speed out somewhat.  I have recently driven an 84 n/a 944 & it was really quite dull.  The 3 speed is a nightmare.  Someone with more knowledge/ experience may chime in here & let us know if there is any significant difference between the responsiveness given that the 89 has a larger engine.  If it was pretty similar then the car would be pretty uninspiring.  Mind you the 84 944 auto that I drove was not in very good condition at all really so a better kept car may be a bit crisper.

I mentioned respectfully & tactfully that given the owners admissions that car needed some work done that his pricing for an auto was somewhat optimistic.  The owner said that lots of people are starting to recognize the positives of the automatic versions of the 944s.  I left it at that.

Owner stated he was too busy with his business to take the car anywhere for a PPI.  He was happy for a prospective purchaser to arrange to have someone come to look at the car in situ but not keen at all on taking it off site.  Car registered till Feb 2017.

In summary.  The car looks good in the photos (as they so often do).  If I was close I would definitely go take a look.  If it looked ok & the owner was realistic I might buy it as a daily drive to work car.   However if you are paying over 10k then sinking 5k plus the math well & truly doesn't add up when factoring in the auto.

Please correct me if I am wrong people re this car & please chime in if the auto in this is any better than the 2.5's.  I have driven two 968 autos & they were quite respectable whilst of course nowhere near as engaging as a manual.