Itchy feet - what would you buy?

GUT

If you like the Elise/Exige then keep an eye out for a Caterham 7 instead. Having had them, if I had to put up with the unreliability of the Lotus, I'd get a 7 instead and have what is by far and away the best fun car for the roads here. They're not fast top end, but they get there faster than pretty much anything else on the road and they're an absolute hoot to drive. Perfect for the daft speed limits of Aus.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Luke, you know the reality is your going to buy a 996 GT3, you may as well accept it and start the hunt :ph34r:

28-06-09_1508_zps414ff440.jpg

I owned this for 30 + years, Mechanically as tough as old boots but heartbreakingly feeble in it`s ability to maintain structural integrity.After two bare metal resprays,the last one costing more than the car was worth and bubbles and rust coming through for the third time it was time to go.

I had two Alfas - a GTV 2000 and a GTV 6 - sensational cars, just gorgeous sounding and wonderful handling. Like you Steve, If you parked them in a garage at night and turned off all the lights you could hear them rust....and when you drove them the interior would disintegrate between your fingers

Luke, you know the reality is your going to buy a 996 GT3, you may as well accept it and start the hunt :ph34r:

I had two Alfas - a GTV 2000 and a GTV 6 - sensational cars, just gorgeous sounding and wonderful handling. Like you Steve, If you parked them in a garage at night and turned off all the lights you could hear them rust....and when you drove them the interior would disintegrate between your fingers

Unfortunately they must be treated like a Gremlin, Never get them  Wet

The real question that needs to be answered by you Luke, is what do you want to feel when you drive your new toy? What is it's purpose? (yeah two questions) 

I suspect, that once you have the answer for that question, your list will become shorter and focused. If, on the other hand, the answer is just because, then start a rolling novated lease every two years ;) 

The call of the GT3 is strong. The bank account is weak.

What do I want out of a car? Well, I'm a bit conflicted. 

I like a classic look - so Alfa, GT40, Cobra, Pantera, Mustang etc get a tick.

I want something beasty - GT40, Cobra, Pantera, GT3

Id like something to take on the track without having to build it up for that purpose - though track is not my main motivation - but that says GT3 to me.

Really, it's GT3.

But a Mustang Fastback looks the goods.

Yeah, ok, I have no idea what I want. 

Top 3 in order:

Pantera

Dodge Charger

GT3

Or maybe the GT3 moves up one spot.

GT3 is the smart choice here.

Have you had a drive in a GT3 yet? 

Whilst I agree that they are not a 'classic' in terms of having more plastic than chrome, they are still a really special car. I was just expecting a faster Porsche but with less soul than my older cars - if you've spent time behind the wheel of an older 911 and enjoyed it, its that with the volume up to 12 but still retains some of that classic 911 charm. 

I've been in a few of newer sports cars (of similar era, Fezza's, Lambo's etc), whilst nice they lack that 'fizz' (in the voice of James May). The GT3 retains more character than most, it really is hard to beat if your looking for a car that has the ability to match the expectations. Plenty of other cars on your list whilst nice I'm guessing may have a shorter honeymoon period if you know what I mean....................

Sorry, that was a + 2 for the GT3. :)

GT3 +3

Oh wait, I've already said it! :lol: 

Hugh is right about the honeymoon period... it actually doesn't end. I'm on my 2nd GT3, still think about my 996 GT3 daily, while that may be a good sign, it may also be a sign of my poor mental health condition? 

Anyway, buy a GT3, then see if you can actually drive it fast... I'm at about 9/10, my balls are not big enough to go 10/10 yet 

Have you had a drive in a GT3 yet? 

Whilst I agree that they are not a 'classic' in terms of having more plastic than chrome, they are still a really special car. I was just expecting a faster Porsche but with less soul than my older cars - if you've spent time behind the wheel of an older 911 and enjoyed it, its that with the volume up to 12 but still retains some of that classic 911 charm. 

I've been in a few of newer sports cars (of similar era, Fezza's, Lambo's etc), whilst nice they lack that 'fizz' (in the voice of James May). The GT3 retains more character than most, it really is hard to beat if your looking for a car that has the ability to match the expectations. Plenty of other cars on your list whilst nice I'm guessing may have a shorter honeymoon period if you know what I mean....................

Sorry, that was a + 2 for the GT3. :)

No I haven't had a drive in a GT3 yet. If only I could find someone with one who would be willing to let me in the passenger seat for a drive around the block...

Anyway, buy a GT3, then see if you can actually drive it fast... I'm at about 9/10, my balls are not big enough to go 10/10 yet 

9/10 is a good effort, still do jail time for that! 

No I haven't had a drive in a GT3 yet. If only I could find someone with one who would be willing to let me in the passenger seat for a drive around the block...

Unlike Kurt I'm barely a 5/10 - but I'm tipping that would still be enough to get the job done. ;):lol:

Just say the word................

Actually, if you want a real GT3 experience @StevepGT3 is the man you need! 

Lancia Delta Integrale

That would be cool (although a Golf R would be faster with fewer headaches), as would a Fiat 124 coupe with an Integrale donk (an SR20 would be a more sensible option).

I was in the car on the way there when we heard it was all being shut down. Tragic.

We made it to the carpark when we got wind of it :(

9/10 is a good effort, still do jail time for that! 

Unlike Kurt I'm barely a 5/10 - but I'm tipping that would still be enough to get the job done. ;):lol:

Just say the word................

Actually, if you want a real GT3 experience @StevepGT3 is the man you need! 

Luke seems too smart to for that.

What about an RS2? One for sale currently that's been on the market for a while with a few price drops. Still a bit on the high side IMO. Monster of a car and pretty exclusive. And obviously the Porsche connection.  

Yeah I've looked at that one. It's had a few price increases too.

I dig it but not sure I'm a wagon person.

If it's the old 60's Mustang fastback then go and rent one for a day fromPete's Classic Garage in Morrabbin (end of the road opposite the DakDak). I harboured dreams of one for years and before I went 911 hunting I was after a Mustang. Then I rented one for a weekend and By the end of it I was cured ?

If I had the cash I'd happily splurge it on a GT£, having said that I'd always be in fear of my licence....

Just go and get a Pantera.

Spend some money on getting it up to driving snuff and enjoy yourself.

When you've had your jollies go and get the gt3.

now, can I have the 3.2 at a deep discount?

find me a GT3 or Pantera at a deep discount and you've got yourself a deal!

Archived