Itchy feet - what would you buy?

GUT

If you like the Elise/Exige then keep an eye out for a Caterham 7 instead. Having had them, if I had to put up with the unreliability of the Lotus, I'd get a 7 instead and have what is by far and away the best fun car for the roads here. They're not fast top end, but they get there faster than pretty much anything else on the road and they're an absolute hoot to drive. Perfect for the daft speed limits of Aus.

I had a Westfield (Lotus 7 replica).  Fantastically pure driving experience but you need a death wish to drive one on the road.  I sold mine soon after returning from a spirited drive around RedHill.  I reflected on that drive and decided I may not survive many more like that.  Riding a bathtub into trees at high speed would not end well.  Mine was a 600kg, 240hp, 9300rpm bathtub.

Uspides - cheap thrills and hold their value, feel exciting at moderate speed (unlike a GT3) and tyres and brakes last forever.  Engines typical Toyota 4AG cheap as ships from wreckers.  Fantastic on track with little to no preparation.

Downsides - zero weather protection, scary driving beside trucks or SUVs and dangerous driving through a flocks of seagulls taking flight and heading for your head or sternum at high speed...

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Westie with an S2000 engine ? Friends of mine built the first one of those in the UK, damn thing was batshit mental. 160mph down the main straight at Catalunya and still pulling, I think we all shat ourselves that day.

While I get exactly where you're coming from, I always found the 7 to be better in the "knowing your limits" department and the Westfields never handled as well as a genuine 7. I've only known a couple of Westfields that handled well and the money invested in them to do that would've bought a very well specced Caterham.

I'm just waiting to see if the Aus government change the import rules as they've discussed, if so I'd get one new from friends who now run the Caterham dealership in the Midlands. Run it in at Donington before shipping it ??

Doesnt get away from the fact it's a bathtub with a wheel at each corner though, the incoming bird strike is always a possibility as well. While driving to a trackday in the UK many years ago, I clobbered a pigeon in my Subaru, it wheeled up over the roof and landed in the passenger seat of my mate in his Caterham behind me. 7am on a Sunday, he didn't need us lot pissing ourselves at him driving along with feathers flying out of it...

15 years ago I was looking at clubbies. I ended up buying my Sprite which has a 4AGE etc in it. It scratched that small, light, Toyota powered fun car itch and looks great. It even has a decent roof. I don't think I would go for a full on clubby now unless it was track dedicated - but that's not really my gig. And even the Sprite makes me a little uneasy when I'm giving it a bit. I had a run in with some pre-killed road kill on the Hume at night in pouring rain whilst passing a truck (looking up at the top of the truck wheels) - not much protection in a car like that.

Westie with an S2000 engine ? 

Yep Westfield SEiW - wide body, independent rear end.  S2000 engine and 6 speed, Quaife LSD.  Best handling car I've owned, I would have thought every bit as good as a live axle caterham.  What else can you buy that'll do 0-100 in 4.0 and cost under $40k.  Drive to the track, outrun much more exotic machinery and drive home again.

Mine hit an aero wall at about 220 km/h.  I refused to run an aero screen after a guy with a little aero screen copped a seagul in the sternum at Sandown.  Just imagine a couple of kilos thrown at your chest at 200km/h that would bloody hurt if it didn't kill you.

[URL=http://s187.photobucket.com/user/1600turbo/media/Cars/Westfield/DSC004411.jpg.html]DSC004411.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

An update:

I sniffed around a couple of GT3's. One had the potential of a part swap + cash with the Carrera. I think maybe I'm too much of a tight-arse. Didn't try hard enough so no deal was done. And I haven't made the mistake yet of actually going for a drive in one, so I don't really know what I'm missing. I'll save that for another day when the itch returns.

I think Panteras have gone the way of the Tasmanian Tiger. I think one might have been spotted in country VIC - or was that a Puma?

Anyway, I picked this lovely beast up - '94 928 GTS. 5.4l & 345hp of V8 goodness. Manual. Sounds great, goes hard.

I'll play with this for a while. And the best news is, I don't have to sell the Carrera.

DSC_1533_zpsg067njpy.jpg

DSC_1558_zpsgzc3h55d.jpg

DSC_1563_zpsiw2rsht1.jpg

DSC_1566_zpsl4bxrc36.jpg

DSC_1548_zpsseojojes.jpg

DSC_1553_zpsvxtijltn.jpg

DSC_1555_zpsii8kmmi0.jpg

An update:

I sniffed around a couple of GT3's. One had the potential of a part swap + cash with the Carrera. I think maybe I'm too much of a tight-arse. Didn't try hard enough so no deal was done. And I haven't made the mistake yet of actually going for a drive in one, so I don't really know what I'm missing. I'll save that for another day when the itch returns.

I think Panteras have gone the way of the Tasmanian Tiger. I think one might have been spotted in country VIC - or was that a Puma?

Anyway, I picked this lovely beast up - '94 928 GTS. 5.4l & 345hp of V8 goodness. Manual. Sounds great, goes hard.

I'll play with this for a while. And the best news is, I don't have to sell the Carrera.

Here we go, you've gone over to the dark side.....

An update:

DSC_1533_zpsg067njpy.jpg

DSC_1558_zpsgzc3h55d.jpg

DSC_1563_zpsiw2rsht1.jpg

DSC_1566_zpsl4bxrc36.jpg

DSC_1548_zpsseojojes.jpg

DSC_1553_zpsvxtijltn.jpg

DSC_1555_zpsii8kmmi0.jpg

GTS + Manual = Win Win

GTS + Manual = Win Win

The manual transmission was the clincher. It's been converted to manual, but I have the auto box. Rest assured, it's never seeing the underside of this car under my watch!

It's been 20 years between V8's for me - what was I thinking!!

An update:

Love your work there buddy!

You're going to have to give me your storage provider's number :P

Archived