Cheap Cayman auto - why buy a 996?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been thinking about the comparison. 

I think a 996 vs 987.1 Cayman is an interesting choice. I would personally take a 987.1 Cayman S vs a 996 911. 

Let's compare two examples in the mid 50k bracket:

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2002/SSE-AD-4021088

Vs

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Cayman-2006/SSE-AD-3892474

The Cayman is faster and newer, but down 2 seats. But would you guys pick the 4 year older 911?

Up front I will disclose I own a Series 2 Cayman and I went through this myself driving and comparing a gen 2 996 vs a gen 2 Cayman. For me and what I am looking for after driving both it was a very very simple choice.

There are some fantastic articles that tackle this question and march 2016 GT Porsche magazine ran a cover article on exactly this topic. Should I purchase a newer 987 cayman over an older 996 911
Now of course its a Personal choice but dynamically the Cayman is a superior layout to the 911 however you loose the two rear small seats by placing the engine in the centre of the car. 
Displacement is less as is torque and power however unless your tracking the car you will have more than adequate power, for example a 2.9 gen2 has simimlar performance and specs to the 70's icon 930 Turbo "widowmaker"  of course power delviery is different however my point is that its quite quick enough for road use,
pedegree?? I dont understand?? The 996 was a clean sheet with lots of input from Toyota on how to design components to be manufactured more efficiently as the Air cooled cars were very expensive to manufacture given the herrigate going back into the 1960's. The 996,Boxster and later cayman all share siginficat amounts of components between the cars. So many parts are interchangable a door from a 987 cayman is exactly the same as the door on a Boxster,996 or 997 911. From the rear of the doors forwards its mostly all 997 generation 911 and when sitting inside the only difference is the middle section of the dash with its round vents vs square vents and 3 guages as apposed to five. Lift the frunk on a cayman 987.2 next to 997.2 side by side you will be looking at the headlights to know which is which.

I really don't get the whole "911" thing its a badge when you look how this chassis was engineered basically its split into three sections  front,middle and rear. The Boxster (986,987),911 (996,997) Cayman(987) share front and middle sections, the rear is reversed on the (996,997) 911's with the engine out the rear and gear box inwards where the boxster and cayman have the engine in the middle with the gearbox out the rear. Same core components, different displacements and  suspension components  in the rear.

One if the Porsche execs (I dont have the book on hand to name him) was quoted at the time of the 996 that the 911 price covers its component costs and R&D costs for both both platforms, the boxster covers its component costs. 

Make your choice not by worrying about some notion of "Heritage" but by driving them. If you are into driving tight mountain roads you will quickly discover how exciting the cayman is and may find the 911 a little dull (motor sport variants excepted) . If you are looking for something with slightly more straight line poke then a 3.6 911 may be your choice. If you need to own a "911" then get one of these chassis with the 911 badge on the rear or indeed you may want to consider an older design like a 993 or 964 which really is a 911 and indeed really does have heritage. 

Caymans are great cars, particularly the latest cars which finally have their own feel to the styling instead of feeling like the exec guys at Porsche asking the design guys for a 911 which isn't a 911 that the 986 really suffered from. 

For a drivers car, I would say a 996 as long as you like the weight out the back. It's the defining characteristic off the car. You'll eventually hurt yourself one day breaking mid corner of your a fan of brakes and it's definitely a slow way around in a 911.

For a car which will never bite and allows you to do mid corner corrections then the Cayman. 

I'd happily have both... just not an auto unless I was getting stuck in peak hour. 

I hate the whole "911 vs the rest" rubbish, I despise anyone who tells me that a 911 is the only Porsche and uses words like "heritage", that's why I avoid porsche clubs like the plague........ If it's got a Porsche badge on it embrace it and know that it is beautifully engineered and well made by the manufacturer that we all covet. I'd love a 996 or a Cayman, both would be put a huge smile on my face everytime I turned the key.

The smile factor, Isn't that why we own them???????B)

It seems to me that the majority of the most iconic race cars were mid engined with the rear engined cars playing a secondary roll or having their own series. In more recient times the very top of the range road cars such as the Carrea GT or 918 are mid engine so have more in common with the race cars and I would also expect this to continue. 

Heritage? The sports cars all have the heritage of the Porsche badge and its history.  On the other hand the non sports cars??

I hate the whole "911 vs the rest" rubbish, I despise anyone who tells me that a 911 is the only Porsche and uses words like "heritage", that's why I avoid porsche clubs like the plague........ If it's got a Porsche badge on it embrace it and know that it is beautifully engineered and well made by the manufacturer that we all covet. I'd love a 996 or a Cayman, both would be put a huge smile on my face everytime I turned the key.

The smile factor, Isn't that why we own them???????B)

Well said.

At the end of the day the one thing that stirs our emotions and brings us together is the passion for fine automobiles of which the good people from Porsche have given us in bucket loads on many different platforms.

I think it used to be the case that the 911 was so different to any other car, let alone any other Porsche. These days, cars are so similar (overall) that the 911 'thing' is disappearing.  

I agree that all Porsches share the heritage of the brand, but the 911 has been and will probably always will be the 'iconic' model of the brand. 

Sure, there are better bang for your buck Porsches but a lot of people grew up dreaming of not just a Porsche, but specifically a 911. That will always play a role in swaying these discussions from rational 'on paper' analysis to considering emotional factors - these tend to complicate the decision making process! 

I do see a Cayman in my future but it wouldn't be instead of a 911, more just for a change and to experience a different kind of Porsche than I'm used to. I've also got a partner who loves them so that always makes it easier. :D

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Cayman-2007/SSE-AD-4069374/?Cr=0

I will probably get shot for saying "why buy a 996" but even with the kms, this is a much more modern example.

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-01%20at%206.33.3

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-01%20at%206.33.4

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-01%20at%206.33.5

Mike its a odd question from a guy who sold an auto Cayman to buy a long hood targa, who sold targa, bought a auto 964, sold auto 964, bought 914, sold 914, bought 964 manual & then took it to bits, I think this is an ok overview of things. Oh, & not a 996 to be seen. 

You could also buy a Toyota 86 brand new with warranty instead of a 130klms 9 yr old plus Cayman auto and go on holiday and and and and blah etc etc

What an odd post you make. I shall see you at dawn, when you shall be shot!!

There is no right or wrong answer to this.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Cayman-2007/SSE-AD-4069374/?Cr=0

I will probably get shot for saying "why buy a 996" but even with the kms, this is a much more modern example.

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-01%20at%206.33.3

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-01%20at%206.33.4

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-01%20at%206.33.5

I would, and did, buy a Cayman S manual over a 996. But in this particular case I would buy the 911. The 'non' S in auto, is a far different car to an S manual. I would go even an auto 996 over this car, but I am not a fan of auto sports cars in general.

Mike its a odd question from a guy who sold an auto Cayman to buy a long hood targa, who sold targa, bought a auto 964, sold auto 964, bought 914, sold 914, bought 964 manual & then took it to bits, I think this is an ok overview of things. Oh, & not a 996 to be seen. 

You could also buy a Toyota 86 brand new with warranty instead of a 130klms 9 yr old plus Cayman auto and go on holiday and and and and blah etc etc

What an odd post you make. I shall see you at dawn, when you shall be shot!!

There is no right or wrong answer to this.

Sounds like you are stalking me. 

BTW - you missed one or 2.

Archived