New Zealand Boxster Adventures

I'd really like to get to the bottom of the ims dilemma as with my investigations there is very little evidence to condemn the 987.1 motor. I have not found one actual occurrence talking to Porsche focused garages, 986 well thats another story. If I had any suspicions that the 987.1 motor was suspect i would not have bought one.

All depends on who you talk to. The guy who did the PPI on my Coxster said it's rare, and much overhyped by the internet. He offered that infrequently driven cars, particularly if town driven, are most susceptible. But he went on to say he'd never proactively fix one as it's unlikely.

If you read the internet, you're f&@&ed!

I know of an instance, first hand, where an early 997 had an IMS failure and took the engine out, so it does happen...

My summary. It can happen, it's probably unlikely, probably less likely than the internet suggests, it'll cost a lot to fix if it does happen, the proactive fix ain't that bad. All comes down to whether you're feeling lucky, punk. We'll do ya?

well I was feeling lucky in Tassie.

If you believe all the hype about cars you would only buy one if you had a spare/lazy $20k in the bank for 'what if'. Seems us humans like to find fault in everything then escalate it into the stratosphere, we're a weird mob

You could easily find a reason not to buy any model Porsche listening to the nah sayers.

well I was feeling lucky in Tassie.

If you believe all the hype about cars you would only buy one if you had a spare/lazy $20k in the bank for 'what if'. Seems us humans like to find fault in everything then escalate it into the stratosphere, we're a weird mob

You could easily find a reason not to buy any model Porsche listening to the nah sayers.

Look up BM timing chain, Vanos and rod bolt issues,or Benz V6 ,or Audi trans issues and you can be scared off everything that is desirable.

Look up BM timing chain, Vanos and rod bolt issues,or Benz V6 ,or Audi trans issues and you can be scared off everything that is desirable.

yep.  My mk6 golf had two timing chain tensioner failures.

Want a PORSCHE script for the doors for the Coxrod, from memory there is a forum sponsor perhaps in SA that does this stuff?  Where best to buy from?

Lowering springs ordered

Wheels spacers ordered - new wheels can wait as the tyres on the existing rims are OK and new wheels and tyres is a big bill

Will have to wait for Gert's GT Mk II zorst

Will order some cool looking cross drill rotors and some Pagid RSs early next week

Need stickers, what other stickers should I get to take the gay out of it?

Want a PORSCHE script for the doors for the Coxrod, from memory there is a forum sponsor perhaps in SA that does this stuff?  

Need stickers, what other stickers should I get to take the gay out of it?

Forum sponsor Autografik is the one to use. Based in Sydney I think

I'd really like to get to the bottom of the ims dilemma as with my investigations there is very little evidence to condemn the 987.1 motor. I have not found one actual occurrence talking to Porsche focused garages, 986 well thats another story. If I had any suspicions that the 987.1 motor was suspect i would not have bought one.

Your IMS bearing is most like the sealed variety and is not upgrade-able anyways.  So based on that alone, I'd forget all about it and drive the living sh1t out of it and have fun.  

I had a very early 987 Boxster and had the IMS bearing upgraded at the time.  The car only had 42k on the clock was very much a garage queen... it cost me $3500 for the privilege of the upgrade - I must say it did bring peace of mind but at the same time you do listen to every noise they make worrying that something might happen anyways.  When I sold the car the buyer was attracted to it because I had done this preventative maintenance. In hindsight tho, I wouldn't have bothered now.

I researched the crap out of all Porsches at the time (and look how many posts I have on PFA, that kinda tells you I was a regular around these parts) and you very much only see the handful of bad experiences, not the 1000s of good ones.  

Just drive and forget about the other stuff....

My thoughts exactly, drive the thing, if it was a 986 motor i would feel differently.

if it was a 986 motor I'd still just drive the thing!

An engine from the wreckers is only a little bit more than doing the ims.  

Spend that money on sensible stuff like loud zorst, wild wheels, custom plates and gnarly stickers and worry about the engine when it goes boom ? 

Oh and @porkchops you forgot to try one more plate... LUVBOX ??

if it was a 986 motor I'd still just drive the thing!

An engine from the wreckers is only a little bit more than doing the ims.  

Spend that money on sensible stuff like loud zorst, wild wheels, custom plates and gnarly stickers and worry about the engine when it goes boom ? 

Oh and @porkchops you forgot to try one more plate... LUVBOX ??

DEFA4FD9-5DF8-48A3-A67C-B2120E27A23A_zps

Oh man that is the worst plate ever!  Don't do it.

Oh there's a MINI Coupe in our club with  B4DA5S  :P

There was a mini getting around Sydney a few years back with plates: 'NUTSAQ'...

oh...those mini people...:P