New Zealand Boxster Adventures

I have an elaborate plan to buy one of these in NZ and tear the place up a couple of times a year.  Sell and buy a new one every 2-3 years, or sell and move on if the itch is scratched.  I've worked out how to buy, store, register, insure, licensing etc etc but need to figure out the car.  It needs to be modern, reliable, comfortable, not too expensive, easy to drive as there may be a number of trusted people who will drive it (wife, mates etc).  I'm not a convertible guy but I don't mind the idea of one and as it's a long way from anyone I know I think I can bear it :).  Sound of a loud flat 6 (after market exhaust of course) bouncing off a glacial canyon walls with no roof sounds appealing as long as the chassis isn't floppy.

Here is how I see the world, but would be happy to be educated if I'm off beam

• Budget is $35 - $50k NZD on the road
  •  

First choice is a Cayman, second choice is a Boxster
  •  

Prefer the S version with the 3.2l /3.4l engine
  •  

First choice 6 speed manual, second choice PDK.  No Tiptronic
  •  

What options are worth considering / essential
  •  

Cayman I'd say it's a 987
  •  

Boxster would suggest a 987 but would of course consider a 981.  I won't consider a 986

On another note if you're an NZ guy (either you live there or know the landscape over the ditch) drop me a PM.

Cheers.

I have an elaborate plan to buy one of these in NZ and tear the place up a couple of times a year.  Sell and buy a new one every 2-3 years, or sell and move on if the itch is scratched.  I've worked out how to buy, store, register, insure, licensing etc etc but need to figure out the car.  It needs to be modern, reliable, comfortable, not too expensive, easy to drive as there may be a number of trusted people who will drive it (wife, mates etc).  I'm not a convertible guy but I don't mind the idea of one and as it's a long way from anyone I know I think I can bear it :).  Sound of a loud flat 6 (after market exhaust of course) bouncing off a glacial canyon walls with no roof sounds appealing as long as the chassis isn't floppy.

Here is how I see the world, but would be happy to be educated if I'm off beam

• Budget is $35 - $50k NZD on the road
  •  

First choice is a Cayman, second choice is a Boxster
  •  

Prefer the S version with the 3.2l /3.4l engine
  •  

First choice 6 speed manual, second choice PDK.  No Tiptronic
  •  

What options are worth considering / essential
  •  

Cayman I'd say it's a 987
  •  

Boxster would suggest a 987 but would of course consider a 981.  I won't consider a 986

On another note if you're an NZ guy (either you live there or know the landscape over the ditch) drop me a PM.

Cheers.

So will this be the PFA loaner for all FM's on NZ holidays? I like where this is going...

If the budget stretches then value for money, 987.2 S in either Boxster or Cayman is the go (though both may push above $50k?). Over the 987.1 they have more power, more reliable (no IMS worries) more economical (if that's important?), improved interior and if you end up with your second choice tranny then you get the PDK (987.1 was tip). Expect there is a bigger price jump to a 981.

If you're ok with a cab then save some cash and go with a Boxster and spend the left over $$$ on exhaust and other better breathing bits (IPD plenum, 997 GT3 throttle body, Fabspeed headers etc.) and you're done!

Thanks Jad.  Looks like the 987.2 is the go (the S being over budget I suspect).  Would accept a 987.1 S with an IMS upgrade for the extra ponies, but you lose the upgraded interior and add age, but it will end up being determined by the specific car I think.  Not heaps on sale over there so just have to wait for the right one to pop up.

Tell me, is your Spyder the same as a 987.2 Boxster from a perspective of torsional rigidity and are you happy with it?  Also how is the noise, ventilation, visibility, driving in the rain etc in your car?

Thanks Jad.  Looks like the 987.2 is the go (the S being over budget I suspect).  Would accept a 987.1 S with an IMS upgrade for the extra ponies, but you lose the upgraded interior and add age, but it will end up being determined by the specific car I think.  Not heaps on sale over there so just have to wait for the right one to pop up.

Tell me, is your Spyder the same as a 987.2 Boxster from a perspective of torsional rigidity and are you happy with it?  Also how is the noise, ventilation, visibility, driving in the rain etc in your car?

The Spyder is based on the S. Rigidity should be similar. The Spyder goes lightweight which may impact slightly rigidity? (Aluminium doors, hood and rear deck, plus deletion of all the electric roof bits). The Spyder roof is an occasional affair, but have driven in heavy rain and it's tight. Expect the standard car is better from an NVH perspective as it has the heavier roof and insulation. Visibility out of the rear not as good in the Spyder compared to standard car due to the humps, but I'm not complaining about those! Sounds like you might need to take her for a run when you're up in Sydney next? :D

The Spyder is based on the S. Rigidity should be similar. The Spyder goes lightweight which may impact slightly rigidity? (Aluminium doors, hood and rear deck, plus deletion of all the electric roof bits). The Spyder roof is an occasional affair, but have driven in heavy rain and it's tight. Expect the standard car is better from an NVH perspective as it has the heavier roof and insulation. Visibility out of the rear not as good in the Spyder compared to standard car due to the humps, but I'm not complaining about those! Sounds like you might need to take her for a run when you're up in Sydney next? :D

Having owned a 2009 987.1 Boxster S and now a 2010 Boxster Spyder (the same as Jad), I would say that the Spyder has slightly more rigidity over the 987.1 Boxster S. I think it is probably because of the aluminium speedster rear deck which covers the Spyder from the roll bar to rear bumper which gives it that smidgen more rigidity. In the Boxster S, there are two parts, the roof cover panel and rear boot panel. There is definitely more weight to the rear of the BS (which you can feel in the corners) and a bit more body roll despite my Boxster S having H&R lowering springs installed.

Having said that, It takes a bit more skill to drive the Boxster S over the Spyder esp in very tight cornering which isn't such a bad thing. The Spyder is a bit more forgiving and has available torque in almost all gears.  

I would try and get one with the Porsche Sports exhaust installed or get one put in. The alternative is the Carnewal modded stock exhaust (they remove the baffles in the cats to replicate the Porsche Sport exhaust sound). I would not put in an aftermarket exhaust with larger diameter tubes as it pushes the powerband up and lowers torque down low. Great for track work but makes the car feel gutless at urban speeds. 

• 3 weeks later...

Help me mod the car as I'm a total noob when it comes to these cars.

Needs some tough 18" wheels as the factory items are terrible - OZ seem to do some good stuff but what else?

Needs some lowering so I'm thinking H&R spring kit

Needs an exhaust mod of some sort

Needs scripts stickers and meatballs etc!

Zorst seems to be the GT option from Carnewall (what Andrew has, Jad) and so far springs seem to be H&R, but will investigate this further

19" Ultraleggera HLT - available in 10 colours and I like matt bronze with matt red being the wild card option

9c4b698020d11dbfb0e0a755df36e2dd_zps3ely

1bb2cb8f4243ae35f05923e71e36a3a7_zps3ke7

19" Leggera HLT - available in 3 finishes only, but in 18s

DSC_5159-Edit-Edit-3_zpsyftqm4c5.jpg

20140706_203345_zpskcmzwmpq.jpg

20140706_203437-1_zps3yx3mgfo.jpg

I had the OZ Ultralegerra on my GTI. Bloody good wheels.

So...I think you should buy four more coxsters and lease them to Renntours! 

Edited by Tit

I had the OZ Ultralegerra on my GTI. Bloody good wheels.

So...I think you should buy four more coxsters and lease them to Renntours! 

I'll run a spreadsheet and see what the daily rate might be on an assumed usage.  4 trips 5 days, therefore 20 days per year per car.  If you can charge that rate out with a margin then we're in business....BRB.

OK, rough numbers.  $30k cost car, depreciating by $15k over 3 years, with all the usual running costs you might imagine will cost $4k per 5 days assuming it gets rented for 20 days a year.  The 5 day cost comes down to $2k on 40 day utilisation, and $1k on an 80 day utilisation.  These figures are at cost to the owner.

$4k cost is too expensive

$2k is expensive but some will pay

$1k is cheap

So can you generate 40 - 80 rental days per car per annum?  Say you've got 10 months a year, and 20 days per month you could possibly operate that's 200 available days.  80 days is 40% of the total available rental time, 40 days is 20% which sound more realistic.  

So if you charge a 50% margin (not mark up) your sell price on $2k cost is $4k, making a $2k margin per car per 5 day rental.

$2k margin over 8 x  5 day (8 x 5 day week rentals is the 40 days) = $2k x 8 or $16k

Over 5 cars that's 5 x $16k = $80k per annum, or enough to cover a low wage.

Sounds like a break even scenario to me = risky love job shepherding around fussy rich people!

From their perspective they've got to pay $4k for the car plus flights, accomm, meals, booze and misc expenses.  Say all up $10k.  Would they pay that?  Would they pay double?

I'd really like to get to the bottom of the ims dilemma as with my investigations there is very little evidence to condemn the 987.1 motor. I have not found one actual occurrence talking to Porsche focused garages, 986 well thats another story. If I had any suspicions that the 987.1 motor was suspect i would not have bought one.