996 CLR

DT

I love the wheels and the tail too, not so keen on the bumpers.

It is a lot of money but I think that includes Hartech engine rebuild and a lot of bespoke stuff he's engineered and had made himself, including suspension/hubs, carbon fibre panels.

I'm hoping he'll go to market with his bits and became the Alfaholics of the 996 world. Alfaholics have done a great job of draining my wallet over the last few years, and with talk of a 996 CLR at 300bhp/tonne, if he gets himself a fancy website reckon I'll be in debt for another next century or two with the 996.

Cool. Hoping I can pick that mag up next week.

i have just done the centre console delete......

Car's at least 300g lighter now! Slippery slope?

Hi Rennbob - I would like to complete the centre console delete as well - just on the research hunt now (I would PM this but I cannot seem to get that to work)

- If you have time would like to chat about supplier / difficulty / cost / etc , I'm in Sydney as well cheers Shane

Shane,

I used the 101 projects book but Wayne from Pelican Parts. You need to use the console delete project in congunction with short shift instal project.

Rob 

Why wouldn't you just buy a 996 GT3 for that level of investment? 

The way I look at it that's slightly missing the point, the guy has a 997 GT3RS, so he could obviously afford to just buy a 996GT3. Yes he did spend 100K GBP to build this particular car including manufacture of parts/panels and engine rebuild, but if he goes to market this car becomes more of a production mule. He's recognised the boggo 996 provides a great platform for 'adding' lightness. If he goes to market with the lightweight parts/panels he'd be doing something similar to what Alfaholics does for owners of Alfa Giulia Sprint GT/GTV's. Not many of us can afford to immediately turn them into the full bells n whistles 290 GTA R, but we can pick and choose their bespoke parts and panels over the years, as we can afford, and gradually build our cars into something not dissimilar. The great thing with the boggo 996 and Giulia Sprint is their relative low get in cost.

The way I look at it that's slightly missing the point, the guy has a 997 GT3RS, so he could obviously afford to just buy a 996GT3. Yes he did spend 100K GBP to build this particular car including manufacture of parts/panels and engine rebuild, but if he goes to market this car becomes more of a production mule. He's recognised the boggo 996 provides a great platform for 'adding' lightness. If he goes to market with the lightweight parts/panels he'd be doing something similar to what Alfaholics does for owners of Alfa Giulia Sprint GT/GTV's. Not many of us can afford to immediately turn them into the full bells n whistles 290 GTA R, but we can pick and choose their bespoke parts and panels over the years, as we can afford, and gradually build our cars into something not dissimilar. The great thing with the boggo 996 and Giulia Sprint is their relative low get in cost.

Granted and I get it............but................its still a lot of investment for what would still be a sub-standard product when compared to a base factory GT3. If their is an incentive in relation to producing parts etc. as a business model then that's a consideration, but my point is you will spend more than GT3 money to strip and bolt parts onto a stock 996 and still not end up with half as much car. 

Its a slippery slope and there will come a time when you realise that you've just spent a bomb on your base 996 (even at a cheap buy in) and will ask yourself the question if its all been worth it. You can buy a pre 89 911 and pretty much build an RS rep or whatever for not overly stupid money. Its a different proposition with the later model cars though, they don't translate to the same extent or at least not without considerably more $$$ thrown at them.  

Each to their own, just my 2 cents. 

Not to say I don't appreciate the effort, just trying to keep it all in perspective. 

but my point is you will spend more than GT3 money to strip and bolt parts onto a stock 996 and still not end up with half as much car.

It would appear the 911&PorscheWorld journo thinks the driving experience is at least as special as the GT3. But it's still not a GT3 I hear you say. So apart from potential return on investment (a phrase on car forums that makes me want to set my eyeballs on fire) what makes this less than half as much car as a GT3?

It would appear the 911&PorscheWorld journo thinks the driving experience is at least as special as the GT3. But it's still not a GT3 I hear you say. So apart from potential return on investment (a phrase on car forums that makes me want to set my eyeballs on fire) what makes this less than half as much car as a GT3?

The 100K GBP part spent to make almost a GT3. 

I'm not fussed about return on investment, I'm looking at value. Spending 100k+ to buy and mod a standard 996 vs just buying a stock GT3 to me is a no brainer, unless you want the satisfaction of building your own car etc. but just understand whilst doing so Porsche are probably better than most at doing this.

How much difference is in a stock 993 over a 993RS? How much difference is in a 991 GT3 over a 991 Cup Car? The difference is more than what most people recognise and this is evident in how mush this guy has spent trying to recreate something "similar". 

The newer the cars get the harder it gets too. 

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, they are just 2 very different propositions from what I can see. 

The 100K GBP part spent to make almost a GT3. 

I'm not fussed about return on investment, I'm looking at value. Spending 100k+ to buy and mod a standard 996 vs just buying a stock GT3 to me is a no brainer, unless you want the satisfaction of building your own car etc. but just understand whilst doing so Porsche are probably better than most at doing this.

How much difference is in a stock 993 over a 993RS? How much difference is in a 991 GT3 over a 991 Cup Car? The difference is more than what most people recognise and this is evident in how mush this guy has spent trying to recreate something "similar". 

The newer the cars get the harder it gets too. 

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, they are just 2 very different propositions from what I can see. 

You're right, I wouldn't straight up spend 100K GBP on a standard 996 either, couldn't afford to even if I wanted to, but then I can't afford a GT3 either. But something like this provides an alternative to aspire to, just like the Alfaholics the 290 GTA R. If the products become available at non-stratospheric prices, over many years of fiddlings in the shed I may rack up a tidy sum modifying my 996 into a semi-CLR but I reckon I'd end up with a lot more than half the car with a lot less overall spend than a GT3. Plus I'd have a lot of fun along the way.

You're right, I wouldn't straight up spend 100K GBP on a standard 996 either, couldn't afford to even if I wanted to, but then I can't afford a GT3 either. But something like this provides an alternative to aspire to, just like the Alfaholics the 290 GTA R. If the products become available at non-stratospheric prices, over many years of fiddlings in the shed I may rack up a tidy sum modifying my 996 into a semi-CLR but I reckon I'd end up with a lot more than half the car with a lot less overall spend than a GT3. Plus I'd have a lot of fun along the way.

Amen brother. Lets hope that if the product becomes available it is reasonably priced as you say. Red bumpers optional. :ph34r:;)

• 4 weeks later...

My suggestion is to see if someone is nice enough to let you drive their GT3     before you start your project.  You may be surprised at what the car gives you.

If you are not impressed - My suggestion is buy some cup car doors, coilover suspension, aftermarket aero, cup car engine and gearbox, seats and harnesses, cup car brakes. 

You will have spent $60k and will have 5 seconds a lap on old mate.

Just something to think about while you are having a quiet drink.

You can do it in your own time.

• 3 years later...

Great to see 996 appreciation over in Oz ;) 

I've not worked on the CLR996 for some time now and the funny thing is this thread mentions the 290 GTA-R, which is pretty much the reason I've not been. Crazy little thing below refers ;) 

Anyway just checking in as hopefully I'll be all over the 996 like a rash again soon to finish off the final stage of development, sadly not removing the lipstick as some may have hoped for, but basically chassis set-up, which I'll be doing this with pro race drivers from Manthey Racing in Germany. This was all planned for this year but C-19 and other BS has put a spanner in the works. 

516.jpg

4 hours ago, CLR said:

Great to see 996 appreciation over in Oz ;)

I've not worked on the CLR996 for some time now and the funny thing is this thread mentions the 290 GTA-R, which is pretty much the reason I've not been. Crazy little thing below refers ;)

Anyway just checking in as hopefully I'll be all over the 996 like a rash again soon to finish off the final stage of development, sadly not removing the lipstick as some may have hoped for, but basically chassis set-up, which I'll be doing this with pro race drivers from Manthey Racing in Germany. This was all planned for this year but C-19 and other BS has put a spanner in the works. 

516.jpg

It didn’t sell in 2019?