My new 996

MARTY

My new toy has arrived picked it up on Friday and I am blown away with how good this thing is  to drive, this could upset some but in my opinion its better to drive than my old 964.I should be getting too old for this but the night before me picking it up was like the night before Christmas.

P1020172.jpg

16 minutes ago, MARTY said:

My new toy has arrived picked it up on Friday and I am blown away with how good this thing is  to drive, this could upset some but in my opinion its better to drive than my old 964.I should be getting too old for this but the night before me picking it up was like the night before Christmas.

Congrats.. the best bang for buck at the moment in the 911 world. I got one recently also, it drives better than my old 993 

Thanks for the comments guys,I wasn't going to get another Porsche after selling my 964 but just couldn't live without the buzz you get every time you get behind the wheel weekend can't come soon enough.

Just now, Rod C said:

Congratulations Marty can't wait to see it.?Welcome to the 996 family.

Will we see at Flinders come Easter ?

Hi Rod yes mate booked in for Flinders,I booked a spot just on the off chance I would get another.

50 minutes ago, Mike737 said:

Nice one. Looks like all the smart people are coming around to 996's.

26 minutes ago, MARTY said:

It took me 3 days to work out how to put this photo up but I will post some more. 

? LOL 

P1020183.thumb.jpg.1fc9f47b188a9192357ddb694ebd46d6.jpg

1 hour ago, TINGY944 said:

SHHH, you guys keep talking them up and prices will go through the roof:P

Car looks great BTW.

Now I have one I'm hoping prices do go through the roof.

P1020180.jpg.b0e5c522f6cd51e225550fb53577a7df.jpg

just a few more shots.P1020179.jpg.2db24a201af8dc0e05e4c1db852d27c7.jpg

You too can have fun investigating what can I do to make it go a little bit better and sound a little bit better too.  

IPD Plenum installed today, my mechanic now says I have to look for a 997 GT3 Throttle Body and K&N air filter.  He has put me on to his guy for doing the Gundo hack to the mufflers too

Hopefully won;t spend a lot of money on these enhancements, well priced 997 GT3 Throttle Bodies on Ebay unless someone has a spare floating around...

Looking forward to another 4000kms on a mainland trip over the next few weeks up to Hunter Valley, that will make it about 10,000kms in less than 5 months, just about 10% of the total mileage in that short time on a 16 year old car......  Probably better cut that travel back a bit, but until then, perhaps I'll do the Sidling Targa Tasmania stage tomorrow on my way to Scottsdale to visit a client.....

On 3/22/2018 at 8:40 PM, TwoHeadsTas said:

You too can have fun investigating what can I do to make it go a little bit better and sound a little bit better too.  

IPD Plenum installed today, my mechanic now says I have to look for a 997 GT3 Throttle Body and K&N air filter.  He has put me on to his guy for doing the Gundo hack to the mufflers too

Hopefully won;t spend a lot of money on these enhancements, well priced 997 GT3 Throttle Bodies on Ebay unless someone has a spare floating around...

Looking forward to another 4000kms on a mainland trip over the next few weeks up to Hunter Valley, that will make it about 10,000kms in less than 5 months, just about 10% of the total mileage in that short time on a 16 year old car......  Probably better cut that travel back a bit, but until then, perhaps I'll do the Sidling Targa Tasmania stage tomorrow on my way to Scottsdale to visit a client.....

Drove the car with the IPD plenum for the first time today (wife drove car home yesterday after we picked it up, and she wouldn't pick up any difference).  Anyway, I noticed an immediate improvement in throttle response, which I think particularly the Tip needs (our manual 987.1 is much more responsive), so am very pleased.  

I did a bit more research and I've determined the plenum I got (second hand) is an early version of the 74mm one, and doesn;t have the dimples / pimples inside the chamber, so it won;t match an 82mm GT3 Throttle Body, so that upgrade path I think will be out unless I can pick up a second hand 82mm plenum (not paying $1000 for a new one I'm afraid!!).  Have ordered the K&N filter (good deal via Ebay at $136) so the improvements from the K&N, plus the plenum, will be a nice little boost to power, perhaps up to 30hp if you believe all the spiel, for less than $540.  Touched base with my mechanic's custom exhaust man today, and discussed the Gundo hack, which will cost around $300 if I remove the mufflers and take them in.  Pretty happy with that prospect too.

On 23/03/2018 at 11:21 PM, TwoHeadsTas said:

Drove the car with the IPD plenum for the first time today (wife drove car home yesterday after we picked it up, and she wouldn't pick up any difference).  Anyway, I noticed an immediate improvement in throttle response, which I think particularly the Tip needs (our manual 987.1 is much more responsive), so am very pleased.  

I did a bit more research and I've determined the plenum I got (second hand) is an early version of the 74mm one, and doesn;t have the dimples / pimples inside the chamber, so it won;t match an 82mm GT3 Throttle Body, so that upgrade path I think will be out unless I can pick up a second hand 82mm plenum (not paying $1000 for a new one I'm afraid!!).  Have ordered the K&N filter (good deal via Ebay at $136) so the improvements from the K&N, plus the plenum, will be a nice little boost to power, perhaps up to 30hp if you believe all the spiel, for less than $540.  Touched base with my mechanic's custom exhaust man today, and discussed the Gundo hack, which will cost around $300 if I remove the mufflers and take them in.  Pretty happy with that prospect too.

This is a thread that I will keep an eye on

On 24/03/2018 at 12:05 AM, disco said:

Looks great mate. The 3.4L in the 996.1's are an absolute screamer of an engine that love to rev.

Enjoy your new 911!

Cheers,

Dave.

Cheers Dave its a blast to drive

Archived