The 996 search - The Chronicles of Ken

daveyoul

Yeah @Peter John all hypothetical now, but I did some digging at the time, and I believe it was a reconditioned exchange from Autohaus Hamilton, but had no way to confirm that theory. 

I'm sure too one will come up, and the experience of looking will sharpen my eye and pencil, so that when "the one" come up, I'll be ready. 

On 31/01/2019 at 19:04, LeeM said:

😁 That was a great read @daveyoul

I shook hands on, then passed on a very nice black 996 (couldn't bring meself to sell my air cooled) that had everything done (IMS etc) and 118,000 kms for under $40k coupla months ago, so they're out there. 

Thanks to @LeeM I am now the proud owner of this 996.1.

It was the bargain of the year for $38k.

The “cocaine dealer” rims have been replaced and I have just fitted new shocks all round.

I was seriously looking for a 997 but for half the price you just can’t argue and with the money you save on a 996 you can buy other toys!!!

Great bang for buck.

5A98F471-4260-4E56-895B-88583E272B31.jpeg

2 hours ago, Shedpest said:

Thanks to @LeeM I am now the proud owner of this 996.1.

It was the bargain of the year for $38k.

The “cocaine dealer” rims have been replaced and I have just fitted new shocks all round.

I was seriously looking for a 997 but for half the price you just can’t argue and with the money you save on a 996 you can buy other toys!!!

Great bang for buck.

5A98F471-4260-4E56-895B-88583E272B31.jpeg

Well done, sometimes it's not what you know it's who you know.

2 hours ago, daveyoul said:

@Shedpest 

@LeeM was is a "right place right time" deal? I don't remember seeing it advertised anywhere...

Kinda

It was actually via a new PFA member when he of Home Built By Jeff @MFX dropped in to Adelaide to sign some autograhs.

@Morpheus mentioned it in casual conversation that he knew of a black 996 for 'Around $40k' at a mechanical shop near his place. Anyway, as I was in one of my semi regular 'I want air conditioning and creature comforts, so I'll sell mine and buy a 996' conversations with myself, my ears pricked up, found out where it was and went to have a chat with the owner. Myself and @PhilH went to have a look the following day, and we were both looking at each other and nodding our heads within a minute or two. Long story a bit shorter, I shook hands on the deal at $38k. I didnt have the money to hand or in the bank, but I had a couple of people wanting to buy my car pretty quickly if I ever wanted to sell it, and the seller was happy keep hold of the car for a small deposit until I sold mine. I chewed on it for a day or few, and after all the HOURS of no sleep and a chat with her indoors (she doesn't care what I do or what I buy as long as I'm happy, yet did make sense with her advice), I decided I couldn't sell my car and pulled out of the deal. Another forum member, Paul,  contacted me about it that his mate was looking for something like this one (I think that's how it went anyway). I rang the owner to see if it was ok to pass on his number and the rest is history and Kym is happy that he basically stole that car. The seller knew what he had and what the values are of a nice 996, yet he just wanted to get a sale without the to and fro Carsales haggling crap. It's bloody clean and has been looked after its whole life with the seller being mechanic (who did the IMS himself) and the prior owner to him being a little old lady (literally) who used it to go to the shops and church on Sundays. 

If I was seriously in the market for a 996, I would have paid $50k for it no problem and been happy knowing the IMS, new clutch and a few other things had been done.

They're out there

Thanks @LeeM - encouraging to know. 

Partly hopeful that putting the feelers out in a few places, like here, and PCNSW, might turn up a similar story for me. 

I know that the 2 cheapest cars on carsales (Man, Coupe) currently have offers on them -so now waiting, not so patiently, for the next ones to be listed! :)

@daveyoul

It depends how particular you are with a few things mate. An immaculate car in the right colour with 69,000kms and perfect service history is nearly a unicorn to those who must have A,B or C, yet I'm sure many have them tucked away or ask stupid money for them. I looked at a car of one older gent who was asking 6 figures for his basic 996 last year, yet it sold for $48k. Nice car, but come on mate..... I always think that if you have a budget that isn't at the top of the scale, you will always need to compromise your wishlist or find more cash, as we all want that Unicorn, but have the kind of cash that would probably buy a Donkey with a limp.

Not saying lower your standards, just be realistic as seller should be sometimes.

If anything comes up here under the radar I'll let you know

@LeeM yes, totally agree, and I think that's part of the learning curve that I'm on. 

I have a few things in mind that I'd like to have (3 spoke wheel near the top of the list), or not have (Silver really doesn't do it for me), but totally happy to compromise to get the right car. With hindsight, I probably would have picked up that seal grey car when it was advertised in Syd in December. I think I'd have got it for in the $30s. It wasn't perfect, but all fixable. Have learnt from that experience. 

I know it will turn up - but want it NOW! :)

1 hour ago, daveyoul said:

I know it will turn up - but want it NOW! :)

You sound like me mate 😁

The car I mentioned was seal grey too, and I'm a bit partial to silver meself (partly why I didnt buy the black 996 actually) 

Maybe contact Craig at Buik Motorworks here in Adelaide to see if he knows of anything around

On 04/02/2019 at 19:02, daveyoul said:

It was advertised for $41500 - engine number was different on the paperwork to the actual engine in the car, so walked away on that basis. In hindsight, I probably should have low balled and picked it up cheap - but it was the first one I'd looked at. I notice it is now marked as sold after being advertised at $47500. 

Keeping my eyes open, and doing my best to be patient!

Engine number doesnts mean its a dud mate, a lot of the 996's had there engines replaced by Porsche due to the law suit. Which meant that the numbers didn't match. It should show it in the books. They replaced the engines regardless of the issue. 

22 hours ago, LeeM said:

They're out there

They sure are! That black one popped up literally a week after my 98 C2 manual got delivered- and I managed to get that for just short of 40 too.

If I had been quicker I might have had one a lot earlier - I got pipped a few times because I wasn’t organised or hesitated. They don’t tend to last long but they are certainly around.

11 hours ago, LeeM said:

You sound like me mate 😁

The car I mentioned was seal grey too, and I'm a bit partial to silver meself (partly why I didnt buy the black 996 actually) 

Maybe contact Craig at Buik Motorworks here in Adelaide to see if he knows of anything around

@LeeMyou sound exactly like i did about 7-8 months ago, i am tipping you will end up with one of these cars, yep i get it, you love what you got but..........

33 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

They sure are! That black one popped up literally a week after my 98 C2 manual got delivered- and I managed to get that for just short of 40 too.

If I had been quicker I might have had one a lot earlier - I got pipped a few times because I wasn’t organised or hesitated. They don’t tend to last long but they are certainly around.

The black one probably had better tyres on it too :D

27 minutes ago, TINGY996 said:

@LeeMyou sound exactly like i did about 7-8 months ago, i am tipping you will end up with one of these cars, yep i get it, you love what you got but..........

Oh I have no doubt I'll end up with a 996 eventually. I do love my old car, and after my recent road trip to Hangar Banger, I can honestly say it was the most comfortable I've ever been in a car doing 16 hours of driving. And the fact that it was a bucket list moment for me to do it in a Porsche. Funny that the second most comfortable drive a few years ago to Melbourne was in my 1958 Beetle with sagging original seats! That was a great trip. I much prefer the shape of old 911's to the 'modern' Porsches, yet there will come a time when I've had enough of the old thing and chop it in for something newer...probably

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd jump on here and update the search. 

The news is... 

... there is no news! 

I had a chat with the dealer selling this one: https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2003/OAG-AD-16725136/?Cr=1 Being a dealer I didn't really believe much that he was telling me, but gave him a number which would get me on a plane to have a look and a PPI done, and he was unable (unwilling?) to match the number. 

There's this one: https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2003/SSE-AD-5890413/?Cr=0 again up in QLD - has anyone seen it? I like white cars, but quite high kms, and plenty of unknowns make it quite a bit over priced for me. There's also the issue of getting a car with some mods like that registered in NSW. 

This on gumtree: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/malvern-east/cars-vans-utes/rare-2000-porsche-911-carrera-black-on-black-manual-/1210163349?ea=12339107&utm_source=trigger&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=saved_search - looks good, with a rebuild - but again a few mods make a NSW blue slip harder, and old mate seems to think he will sell it without a test drive. (Haven't spoken to him, that's from the ad). 

The cars in the $40-$50k bracket have dried up, and I'm checking carsales like a junkie looking for his next hit. I've also run out of new YouTube videos to inspire me, so I think I've nearly worn out the tape of Jethro's 996. 

Have I missed anything? Anything out there on the market that I don't know about? 

1 hour ago, daveyoul said:

Thought I'd jump on here and update the search. 

The news is... 

... there is no news! 

I had a chat with the dealer selling this one: https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2003/OAG-AD-16725136/?Cr=1 Being a dealer I didn't really believe much that he was telling me, but gave him a number which would get me on a plane to have a look and a PPI done, and he was unable (unwilling?) to match the number. 

There's this one: https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2003/SSE-AD-5890413/?Cr=0 again up in QLD - has anyone seen it? I like white cars, but quite high kms, and plenty of unknowns make it quite a bit over priced for me. There's also the issue of getting a car with some mods like that registered in NSW. 

This on gumtree: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/malvern-east/cars-vans-utes/rare-2000-porsche-911-carrera-black-on-black-manual-/1210163349?ea=12339107&utm_source=trigger&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=saved_search - looks good, with a rebuild - but again a few mods make a NSW blue slip harder, and old mate seems to think he will sell it without a test drive. (Haven't spoken to him, that's from the ad). 

The cars in the $40-$50k bracket have dried up, and I'm checking carsales like a junkie looking for his next hit. I've also run out of new YouTube videos to inspire me, so I think I've nearly worn out the tape of Jethro's 996. 

Have I missed anything? Anything out there on the market that I don't know about? 

You'll probably get to the stage where you say stuff it, and budget increases to get into something that's probably not far off what you wanted, but you've paid more for it than you wanted to.  Welcome to the realities of Porsche ownership 🙂  (Don't worry, the reverse applies as well, what ever you're trying to sell won;t be worth as much to anyone as what you want at the time you want to sell - trust me.......)

37 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

You'll probably get to the stage where you say stuff it, and budget increases to get into something that's probably not far off what you wanted, but you've paid more for it than you wanted to.  Welcome to the realities of Porsche ownership 🙂  (Don't worry, the reverse applies as well, what ever you're trying to sell won;t be worth as much to anyone as what you want at the time you want to sell - trust me.......)

Hehe yep... reminds me of my particular gifting in purchasing real estate... 🙄

8 minutes ago, Peter John said:

Be patient grasshopper. But don't! Life is too short! Sell some s#!? work more hours, spend less elsewhere, do whatever it takes. It's just money and as Prince said on money- it doesn't make you happy, but will allow you to buy the things that will!

Yep, that's part of the story that has me here in the first place. Was speaking to someone at a local cars and coffee recently with an immaculate 986. Long story short he had bought it from a neighbour who had saved and waited a long time to purchase his dream car, only to fall ill soon after and was then unable to drive. 

Just checking... is it still frowned upon to sell children? 😂

Sad story to hear. I have heard of a few wives finish off their husbands cars (project) due to their passing. Great to have the car going eventually but the guy didn’t get to enjoy it, at least the wife or siblings will. 

It can be a hard thing to prioritise but at least I think with P car market you should get your money back if needing to sell, if the held up capital is too much pressure.