Scratched the itch

Tips

So in the current context of telling a story around a new purcahse I thought I would share.

So as a few know I have been flirting with the thought of a second P car for weekends and just couldn’t work out what to get. Many great offers from a number of forum Members to drive cars and additional advice from others to help me sort out what I really wanted.

Some pressure to don a hairdryer holster and join the urban hipster Boxster brigade?:ph34r: But in my mind it had to be a 911. I was distracted by the surge in 996 manual ownership, do you go amber or clear eggs, or scratch the analogue air cooled itch?

so thinking that I have always desired an air cooled 911, I started the search. Again sage advice from PFA members and offers to ’keep an eye out’ from a number of members. Well last Friday morning  I get a random text from @James P “had I seen a black 3 litre 5 speed AU delivered car just listed on CS?” No I hadn’t, so quick search had me ringing the owner a million questions also a PCNSW clubbie, some more texts locking in and organising to drive over to see the car. Calls to Anthony at autohaus to verify some important info on its service history and off I went. 

As soon as the garage door opened I was in love. Good long drive with the owner and it was everything and more. Fresh window out paint in 2013 and new leather kit on seats and door cards, full split case engine rebuild by Autohaus 7k kms ago, new brakes clutch etc. car has books and well documented service history. Owner up grading to an earlier car so he was motivated and didn’t want to stuff around so deal done in true tyre kicker fashion, under asking offer but not too low to cause offence. Deal done.

Whilst not a concourse perfect car it was great value and won’t need anything for a while. The car was originally brown over beige and is now black over red (yep @edgy my immediate thought was all those dog dick comments going full circle). The paint colour change was perfect, no tell tale signs in the trunk or engine bay at all. Has a Dansk standard pipe on it and came with a new dansk sports muffler still in the box should I want to change it over later 😏.

I don’t have a long story on how I picked it up and drove it a million kilometres home, as the owner offered to drop it off to me so he could have a last drive, which he did this morning. Has a 

So I drove it to work and have a client meeting out in western Sydney today, so looking forward to getting to know the car. I get the comments on heavy clutch, no power steering but, that’s the analogue drive I was searching for.

Cant wait for the next SMT probably the Hughsie SMT to Bathurst in May if date’s work. I sure I’ll now have lots of dumb questions over the next few weeks so please be patient.

shout out to James P, thanks mate and beers next trip to Melb.👍

some early photos and yes I’m a little excited 🤪

6D652957-6499-4AC7-B351-BCF02F21C45F.jpeg

E705CCC2-CCFD-49CB-9F8B-C7E5449D4F25.jpeg

2A8D179F-239D-47D6-98E0-2BBA8B1BC843.jpeg

C342AA4A-7D36-46A8-AC9F-755D378A8C62.jpeg

Thanks everyone for the comments it’s a cracker of a car to drive.

56 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Dogs dick comments? How immature... So do we call you Rover or Spot? 😁

Nice one mate, congrats. Looks in great nick 

I’ll answer to most things Lee, just not bitch.

7 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

sucker for black over red

Yep wasn’t sure in the phots then in the flesh it just works. Not sure if I will go down the red exterior highlights @Philbee

1 hour ago, James P said:

Excellent result @Tips & good value as we spoke about.. congrats on the purchase 👏

More photos when you have time 

@James P it was a great spot by you and lucky for me we had connected over that sporto moment I was having, 😒

50 minutes ago, Jason A said:

Well done @Tips your patience and persistence have paid of.

My AC 911 started as an 88 3.2 G50 black on black, not that anymore though 😊 inside is still stock though, but upgraded air con. So we are step brothers - lol

Well done mate, I love the red 

Thanks brother Jason but I think this is the only car we will get close on, no hope on matching any of your other P cars. I was diliberating over buying a non air con car and after chats with a few pfa folk and reading @Pork Chops thread on upgrading AC and many comments on no matter how hard you try getting the standard AC to work in hot Aussie weather it was going to be a challenge, so happy in a way it didn’t have AC so will be ordering the electric upgrade unit and get it installed over the winter break.

1 hour ago, Tips said:

Thanks everyone for the comments it’s a cracker of a car to drive.

I’ll answer to most things Lee, just not bitch.

Yep wasn’t sure in the phots then in the flesh it just works. Not sure if I will go down the red exterior highlights @Philbee

@James P it was a great spot by you and lucky for me we had connected over that sporto moment I was having, 😒

Thanks brother Jason but I think this is the only car we will get close on, no hope on matching any of your other P cars. I was diliberating over buying a non air con car and after chats with a few pfa folk and reading @Pork Chops thread on upgrading AC and many comments on no matter how hard you try getting the standard AC to work in hot Aussie weather it was going to be a challenge, so happy in a way it didn’t have AC so will be ordering the electric upgrade unit and get it installed over the winter break.

Word on the street is Singer is on line and Ruf soon to be.  Northern hemisphere summer is also coming up so if you want one you might consider ordering promptly as you might be surprised how low production capacity is.  My 3rd system is due for despatch shortly and I'm going to do a write up on the install and finished product as I'll be there on the tools this time.  Works great in my yellow car.  Better than the bloody engine anyhows....  

Well finally someone buys a car in the right colour! Congratulations and welcome to the dark side, looks awesome. And how novel to buy a car from the city in which you actually reside. Looking forward to check it out on the Bathurst run in a few weeks, if not before 👍

2 hours ago, Airhead said:

Very nice. Can't see in the pics if it has a radio. But you don't need one. 😀

Thanks. There is one in the dash but so far I have no idea if it works 😏

1 hour ago, Tips said:

Thanks. There is one in the dash but so far I have no idea if it works 😏

Take it from me @Tips you’ll never use it, its of no use Other than  to complete the look. 

The sound you’re after is behind you... 😁

• 1 month later...

Took the SC on its first SMT in my ownership today, with an early drive along the putty road with some other PFA folk. Awesome day, not much traffic, chased a quick 997 turbo for most of the run and set the pace for the last section.  Having done the run in the Macan a few times with PDK paddles, it was a very different drive with the engine up back and a stick shift. I think I adapted well, only one ‘moment’ when realised I was a bit quick into a 35 kmh corner and dabbed the brakes late and felt the back moving faster than the front so power on and a little power slide, slight heart flutter then big smile.

Just over 350 km today with a mix of twisties and good straights on country roads was a great introduction to an air cooled 911. Car didn’t miss a beat and there is a lot more in it than I am capable of, I’m totally hooked. 

AH had looked it over for me a couple of weeks ago and suggested new suspension bushes,  which I’ll book in to be sorted  in the next few weeks as I’m booked in for the farm in August 😁😏. So need that sorted prior.

Feedback on the car from the guys today was very complimentary😊, so thanks again to @James P for spotting it the day it was listed and giving me the heads up, much better than a sporto targa 😏. I should be in Melb in the next few weeks so a beer or two on me mate.

• 3 months later...

One thing I was happy about the SC was the amount of documentation that the previous owners had retained with the car. This gave me a great back log of work that was done, where and when. One surprise to me was I actually knew the second owner in 1984. He was a former business client that I hadn’t seen for 20 years. I reached out and we finally got together this week to have coffee and catch up on life and our shared 911. He still drives Porsche’s and was blown away to see his old car albeit looking a lot different. It was good for me to understand what the factory spec was on the car as it has gone through a transformation during its 6 owners of interior/exterior colour, front and rear spoilers and wider Fuchs. He’s going to try and hunt me down some photos of his short but memorable ownership.

For me I enjoy how the passion of Porsche’s bring people from all walks of life together 

• 3 months later...

So after 9 months of ownership of my dream P car I’m starting to get that itch again. I have this desire to personalise a car. I started looking at cheap targas and bitsa coupe’s thinking, “so what would it cost to make it more me, and will it be worth what I put in”?  As many say, slippery slope!!!

Then I would think back to why did I buy mine, Au delivered, great paperwork, matching numbers recent full engine rebuild, not a leak in sight and sorted suspension. Ok it’s had a colour change inside and out plus some factory parts added like front and rear spoilers, fog lights and Fuchs reps. So what did I want to change? Whaletail delete, old school recaro style sports seats, and rs door cards, Maybe some fikse rims, all reversible. So decision made I’m embarking on a personalisation of the black coupe.

ive sourced pretty much everything I need to start off. Unfortunately most of the stuff available at this point in time is interstate, so ads a small cost but focusing on the end result.

so the plan is

Torino recaro sports style front seats in black with houndstooth inserts to replace the red tombstones

rear seats covered to match with houndstooth inserts on backs

black rs style door cards

a new deck lid which will be colour matched .
just debating on painting the front bar and bonnet while it’s in the shop due to the significant stone chip damage after 20 years of being driven since the last repaint.

custom deck Lid grill from Spade 

A couple of parts to yet source

short shift for the 915 box

sports steering wheel Nardi or mono I’m open to suggestions prefer a 360/370 size wheel

red seat belts, any suggestions on where I could source front and rears?

Anything else the collective thinks I should look at whilst throwing some cash at my obsession?

I’ll update the thread wth the chronicles And trials tribulations as I commence the personalisation 

Sounds good mate 👍

Re the seatbelts. There are a few places around Oz that do them, yet I know some have been imported and are not ADR compliant, so make sure they are before handing over any cash.

Short shift. Just get a Wevo and be done with it is my opinion. I had the short shift adaptor thing which is good for sure, yet a Wevo, albeit a lot more expensive than just a short shifter, just feels a lot more precise...and looks better than a stock shifter. 

As you mentioned, if you do things that are reversible, it's easier for future value blah blah blah... Most of all, do whatever YOU want to do that suits your taste and enjoy the slippery slope 😁