The cheapest 996 in the country

MFX

On 22/12/2019 at 12:02, dan_189 said:

Some fabric tape can help eliminate rattles as well. Inexpensive too. 

That is not a bad idea. I have got most of them now. I am thinking it is more of an issue with they old tyres which are vibrating a bit over 100kph. I had the wheels balanced which helped, but didn't eliminate the vibrations completely. It currently has Dunlop Sport Maxx tyres on it an don't rate them, but I have some PS4's going on in the new year. It also has a bit of a clunk on rough roads coming from the rear, which i suspect is a bushing or engine mount that I need to track down ;)

I'd vote "tuning arm" forks for the clunk - definitely a DIY job but i'd recommend having a rattle gun to undo the bolts and a good torque wrench to do them back up. 

The engine mounts IMO should be changed if they are original - they can make a big difference to handing and NHV.

On 26/12/2019 at 09:29, dan_189 said:

The engine mounts IMO should be changed if they are original - they can make a big difference to handing and NHV.

I’d agree with this. I did a few things at once on mine, so it’s hard to isolate each, but apart from the new clutch, I think the engine mounts made the biggest difference. Way quieter, and it improved the handling noticeably too - although I had only driven the car a few times before (and after) the work, so I wasn’t entirely sure if it was a placebo effect 😂...

6 hours ago, dan_189 said:

I'd vote "tuning arm" forks for the clunk - definitely a DIY job but i'd recommend having a rattle gun to undo the bolts and a good torque wrench to do them back up. 

I will definitely look into them. I assume it is just the bushings not the entire forks? I have heard the engine mounts are a must do so I will have a look. 

The front end feels a bit loose at the moment as well, so I think it more than likely needs all the bushings replaced to tighten it back up again. I will probably just do the factory replacements, as I don't need it any firmer, just tighter ;)

Well that was a nice win. 

The clunking coming from the suspension was getting gradually worse and with out rough country roads out here, I was thinking I needed to check it out and work out what bushings I need to get for this car asap before I go on any road trips, or long drives. 

I jacked the car up and removed the rear wheels, and went over all of the arms for movement looking for a completely roasted bush. They were looking old, but everything was super tight, with no movement to be found. Then I checked the sway bar drop links and low and behold. The bolt on the passenger side was halfway out and very loose. 10 seconds with a 17mm spanner and a quick test on our bumpiest local road, and it all feels nice and tight. Phew. That is a bunch of work I can mark off my list, at least for the time being 😄

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

Still got the dash squeak? 😁

I have managed to get most of them. On the rough country roads it still rattles a bit, and I doubt I will ever be able to sort that, but on the freeway it is pretty good. I will be getting some new tyres in a couple of week so hopefully that will make things a bit better again :D 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 14/02/2020 at 12:58, JLD said:

A question for you, you say you bought the cheapest 996 in the country... how much was it?

$40k which was the cheapest at the time (manual, coupe). I am sure there were cheaper tip's and cab's but they were never a consideration.

On 16/02/2020 at 11:44, MFX said:

$40k which was the cheapest at the time (manual, coupe). I am sure there were cheaper tip's and cab's but they were never a consideration.

Yep, fair call! $40k for a manual 996 is likely the cheapest. Has it been a cheap or expensive exercise? I’d love more details about ownership so far and whether it’s been a positive or negative experience 

36 minutes ago, JLD said:

Yep, fair call! $40k for a manual 996 is likely the cheapest. Has it been a cheap or expensive exercise? I’d love more details about ownership so far and whether it’s been a positive or negative experience 

It is still an old car, but so far it has been really good. Watch my videos on it. 

I gave it a full service and it all looks good. I am going through and fixing a bunch of little things that needed attention, like the bonnet struts, stereo, a/c regas, etc. I just fixed the common problem of the indicators not cancelling, which most people generally replace the whole unit for around $600, and I fixed it for $5 (video soon ;) ).

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...