Jump to content
Niko

BEST PORSCHE OF THE DECADE . 987 CAYMAN R

Recommended Posts

Good read, courtesy of FLAT SIXES .

Just a matter of.....if you can live without a radio or air con......Think I might struggle there....but otherwise what a great rap...

https://flatsixes.com/porsche-culture/porsche-factoids/heres-why-the-987-cayman-r-is-the-best-porsche-of-the-decade/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the Cayman R is a very unsung hero and often overlooked. I'd like to experience one for sure!

Although my pick would probably be the Cayman GT4, that is a lot of good Porsche components distilled into one package for a reasonable (relative terms) price! 

No budget pick has to be the 997 GT3RS 4.0... then again, I would say that :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Troubleshooter said:

What's the criteria for Pcar of the decade?

I've got to bang out 1000 words for an article by midday today so need to come up with something, actually anything.

 

And we all lap it up without question.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fun, playful, responsive................ 

These qualities lend themselves to light, balanced and not overly powerful cars. Lightness and simplicity tend to be key characteristics and power can then be modest as a result. Cayman is a great example of this in terms of its driving experience.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LeeM said:

You should be a motoring journo @hugh 😁

That will always be the dream. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, hugh said:

That will always be the dream. :lol:

 With your unbiased analytical prowess and excellence in delivery with what I've read on here by you mate, I'm sure you'd be bloody good at it. Architecture is so passe' 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the Pcar of the decade, I think you could equally argue for the 911R or the 991.1 GT3/RS.

The 911R re-introduced the manual to the GT line of cars at a time when the manual had been abandoned by all of Porsche's competitors. And that the decision to re-introduce the manual was largely driven by the clamour for a manual by the Porsche fanatics around the world, particularly in the US which has the highest % take-up of manuals than any other market. Indeed, it was so successful, the price for 911Rs skyrocketed and Porsche decided to bring back the manual to the regular GT3 model where it still remains an option.

One could also argue I believe for the 991.1 GT3 RS which was a quantum leap over the 997.2 GT3 RS and introduced a level of performance and technology at a price-point that is still unmatched today. On track it punches unbelievably hard and outclasses any of its competitors. It captured the emerging trend for "track-day" cars to such extent that when one goes to a track day almost anywhere in the world the majority of cars are 991 GT3s/GT3 RS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 991 ‘R’ was the marking ploy of the decade, I’d give it that.  
 

I’d also argue that the 991.1 GT3 whilst being a big step forward in tech is a step away from the earlier GT cars lighter/more playful driving dynamics. Great if your chasing lap times, less engaging if your after moderately paced driving involvement. 
 

I can understand why in this instance they are commending the early Cayman, they are a hoot at even low speeds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I've been fortunate enough to go for a ride at The Bend in a 911R (thanks again Mark). They're a weapon. Only driven 2 Caymans, with one being a manual S and the other a tiptronic. Both great cars that would be very sufficient as a weekender in the hills, yet being a tad over 6 foot I could never own one as I'm too cramped in there, especially the manual I was looking at buying before I bought the SC. 

 It depends what you want in a Porsche and what you can afford I s'pose, yet for MUCH less money than a GT3 etc, they're pretty hard to beat in the fun factor/value for money stakes. A well pedalled Cayman in the hills against probably anything else in the Porsche range would have you surprising quite a few people, and a big smile on your face. 

 I can only imagine how good a GT4 would be 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^ I'm with @WGA.   The Cayman R seems to get the nod based on best for the price not based on being the best.   Surely a GT3 should take the prize.

On the age old 996 plays later model GT3s, I'll defer to Motor "annual 2019" where they drive and compare 996.1 GT3 and 991.2 GT3 RS back to back:

two decades, six iterations, 118kW and more than a minute of Nurburgring lap time separate this pair, but they are linked by more than just badging and a vague "racecar for the road" message.  .....  The 991.2 looks and feels like it's fuelled by raw testosterone compared to the petite, demure 996, but the way the engine and steering in particular respond is incredibly similar in each.  Both are brilliant, near impossible to fault and two of the most impressive cars I've ever driven.

They also say "the 991.2 GT3RS might just be the most aggressive road car ever created.  It's like a crazed UFC fighter, it carries not an ounce of fat and has to be restrained from tearing the road apart at every opportunity.......Preuninger describes the RS setup as being close to a Cup car and I can believe it."

I find the narrative often suggests a 991 is clinical and too capable whereas a 996 is raw and involving.  The article above and my butt experience suggests that's wishful thinking by purists, not the reality of a genuine comparison.  Perhaps at sedate road speeds it might feel that way but drive as they were intended, not so.

For my needs, 996 is great as a weekend road car but I'd get bored on track.  And at mid 100s I don't get the value proposition.  The 991 (preferably RS) is where it's at for the track. I just wish the .1 RS would fall from mid 300s where they have sat stubbornly for ages.  Even .2 RS at low 400s is not driving .1s down.as such,  I keep toying with a .1 GT3 at low 200s and throw some rose jointed RS goodness at it.  But that damn engine......

 

45 minutes ago, LeeM said:

 I've been fortunate enough to go for a ride at The Bend in a 911R (thanks again Mark). They're a weapon. Only driven 2 Caymans, with one being a manual S and the other a tiptronic. Both great cars that would be very sufficient as a weekender in the hills, yet being a tad over 6 foot I could never own one as I'm too cramped in there, especially the manual I was looking at buying before I bought the SC. 

 It depends what you want in a Porsche and what you can afford I s'pose, yet for MUCH less money than a GT3 etc, they're pretty hard to beat in the fun factor/value for money stakes. A well pedalled Cayman in the hills against probably anything else in the Porsche range would have you surprising quite a few people, and a big smile on your face. 

 I can only imagine how good a GT4 would be 

GT4 was a great car but at sensible road speeds in the hills, I was not a lot faster and I doubt I got any more enjoyment than @TrevMcRev in his 2.5 986 Boxster.  But around PI the GT4 might be 15s a lap faster.  Horses for courses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As has been stated the R is much more than the sum of its parts. A quick look at how many K's I put on each car per year shows the R is the go to car for a fun drive. It is the perfect example of a sports car while Turbos are great grand tourers and part time muscle cars and GT's are best on the track. The R never fails to bring the biggest smile without any white knuckle shenanigans. Just driving the R around you get to use all its talents while the others are simple to fast, noisy or uncomfortable. I took a 981 GTS for a spin the other day and the difference is chalk and cheese. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lets not forget we are talking about the PCar of the Decade (2010-2019) not the last 20 years.

The Cayman R, while being a playful car, was really nothing more than a warmed-up, slightly lighter Cayman S. From an engineering perspective, there was nothing particularly special about it.

As EVO wrote in 2011, "Having spent the week before this testing a Cayman S it has to be said that the changes are subtle.......The Cayman S is a brilliant car. The R is a little bit more brilliant." I don't think this really qualifies as PCar of the Decade considering what else was released over the last 10 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, DJM said:

 

GT4 was a great car but at sensible road speeds in the hills, I was not a lot faster and I doubt I got any more enjoyment than @TrevMcRev in his 2.5 986 Boxster.  Horses for courses.

 Yeah, but that's Trev. He's fast in anything I'm told 😁

 I've left GT3's for dead in my '78 yet had trouble (aka no chance) staying with other Porsches and a Datsun 1600, so it mostly comes down to skill levels whether a Cayman R can out perform a GT3. I highly doubt that in the right hands, yet Its whatever puts a smile on your dial and how fast you want to go is what matters. If I had the opportunity, it would be a 996 or 997 GT3 for me

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hugh said:

The 991 ‘R’ was the marking ploy of the decade, I’d give it that.  
 

I’d also argue that the 991.1 GT3 whilst being a big step forward in tech is a step away from the earlier GT cars lighter/more playful driving dynamics. Great if your chasing lap times, less engaging if your after moderately paced driving involvement. 
 

I can understand why in this instance they are commending the early Cayman, they are a hoot at even low speeds. 

I own, and have driven hard on multiple tracks across Europe, a 964 RS, 996 GT3 RS, 997.2 GT3 RS and 991.2 GT3 RS....and from my personal perspective, I would argue hard that the 991.2 GT3 RS is the best car Porsche has made in the last 10 years. In the right hands, it is incredible...and as I mentioned earlier.... it has gone on to dominate the "track day" phenomenon across the world. No other car or manufacture has managed to do that.

1 minute ago, WGA said:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WGA said:

I own, and have driven hard on multiple tracks across Europe, a 964 RS, 996 GT3 RS, 997.2 GT3 RS and 991.2 GT3 RS....and from my personal perspective, I would argue hard that the 991.2 GT3 RS is the best car Porsche has made in the last 10 years. In the right hands, it is incredible...and as I mentioned earlier.... it has gone on to dominate the "track day" phenomenon across the world. No other car or manufacture has managed to do that.

I'm not doubting how fantastic it is. Speed is the relative factor here though, I get that they would be a hoot blasting around European racetracks. Also agree that no other manufacturer has managed to crack the same recipe that a Porsche has managed to master. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With regards to the 991R, it restarted the manual culture and while there is some "marketing" to its success there is also a huge amount of substance. My friend, who owns one of the most mind blowing Porsche collections in the world (including an original 911R and every RS and RSR that has ever been made), often states that the 991 R is near the top of his favourite cars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty clever to release the 911R, get huge marketing coverage, make a motza and in the process test the appetite for a manual GT3.  Much smarter than releasing a manual GT3 and potentially backing away if it didn’t sell well.  Yet again Porsche marketing reigns supreme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand that Porsche did not make much money on the 911 R due to the development costs and a low production volume. In the UK, its list price was only 5K GBP more than a 991.1 GT3 RS. Indeed, Porsche made more money on the RS than they did on the 911 R.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Redracn said:

I took a 981 GTS for a spin the other day and the difference is chalk and cheese. 

Hi Redracn, are you saying the 981 GTS is the better car😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RedMan said:

Hi Redracn, are you saying the 981 GTS is the better car😀

The 981 GTS is a great car and there is a lot to like about it but as a lightweight sports car the R is better. The R steers much better and the fixed sports suspension is way ahead for handling while riding the fine line of acceptable compliance. The sound in the R cabin is also more connected to the engine than the GTS with its better sound dreading. But surprisingly the tyre  noise in the R was less but that was probably due to the different tyres and tread level they were running on. The R also feels a lot stronger at lower RPM due to less weight to move. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Redracn said:

The 981 GTS is a great car and there is a lot to like about it but as a lightweight sports car the R is better. The R steers much better and the fixed sports suspension is way ahead for handling while riding the fine line of acceptable compliance. The sound in the R cabin is also more connected to the engine than the GTS with its better sound dreading. But surprisingly the tyre  noise in the R was less but that was probably due to the different tyres and tread level they were running on. The R also feels a lot stronger at lower RPM due to less weight to move. 

And the owner was sitting in the passenger seat so you couldn’t chase down Mrs Redracn driving the R😬

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, RedMan said:

And the owner was sitting in the passenger seat so you couldn’t chase down Mrs Redracn driving the R😬

I would have given it a real go to catch the Mrs but my passenger for some obscure never to be spoken reason was not up for it. Now about those rear tires. 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/01/2020 at 08:48, Niko said:

Just a matter of.....if you can live without a radio or air con......

Why do that with a road car. I doubt anyone would be able to feel that extra weight, and it makes such a difference to the driving experience and useability.

Pure track car, strip out everything. Road car, minor comforts are a good thing ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

PFA [Porsche Forum Australia]

This is an online platform for like-minded Porsche fans/fanatics/tragics to come together to read, chat and share.

It is also a platform to arrange and participate in off-line social meet-ups, events and drives.

×
×
  • Create New...