916 Tribute.

KERMIT

Hi All

Vehicle has gone to paint,so hoping to see that finished soon. The 916 Body Kit has seen the cracks and damage repaired,so that will be fitted and painted too.

There is a large delivery of parts on it's way from Auto Atlanta,which will go towards finishing off the interior,as well as the engine bay when the engine is fitted.

Once again I have to say that George,owner of Auto Atlanta has been an absolute gem  with his availability  and willingness to supply information to me in regard to the build.

Edited by KERMIT
More Interesting Title.

• 2 months later...

There has been a delay with getting the car painted,owing to problems associated with the body kit. Andy at Fabcoat, discovered that it had been damaged in a couple of places and repaired very badly,so quite a lot of work went into getting it rubbed right back and repaired using kevlar in a couple of areas.

The bonnet,boot lid,roof and doors were removed,so that they and the body could be prepared for paint and happy to say that they have now all been painted. Assembly of all the body parts is taking place whilst I'm doing this.

Along the way,I have been taking door locks,engine lid lock,bonnet lock,screws,bolts and other hardware to John at Solar Plating Co in Mordialloc,to have them plated in the gold colour,which works well with the White colour of the car.

The wheel centres will be painted satin black,the 914-6 badge the same,as well as leaving the jacking point cover black.

The car will then leave Fabcoat and return to Max at Vintique Auto,where we'll install the sound deadener. Once that's done,it's off to Adrian at Hartech for the engine installation.

At some time before that,Paul will run all the soft oil lines to the oil cooler upfront and the bodykit won't need to be removed again,at least that's the plan!

916 Painted.JPG

916 Side View.JPG

916 Door Painted.JPG

916 Side Pods.JPG

Out of the Oven.JPG

Andy asked me to give him some help fitting the boot and bonnet,which I was happy to do. The roof is just resting in place temporarily. The front bonnet rubber  is in and hardware is being refitted as well.

Andy suggested leaving the body kit off to avoid any unintended damage, whilst the oil lines are run and the engine is being fitted,a good thought methinks. 

Dropped the windscreen trim to Bas at A1 Powdercoaters yesterday. That will be ready in time for the installation of the brand new, old stock front screen,as well as the rear screen. Dennis had kept a new original screen and gave it to me as part of the purchase. Very happy with that,as a new one from the States is expensive given the current exchange rate,not to mention the chance of it arriving broken!

We decided yesterday to leave the repair of the slight gutter damage on one front and one rear wheel,as well as the painting of the wheel centres,to just before the car is ready to visit the engineer.

There's a fair way to go,but the excitement is starting to bubble!!

Boot  back on.JPG

Fitting Bonnet.JPG

Bonnet back on.JPG

The Man.JPG

Roof on.JPG

I went and picked up the brand new,old stock windscreen on Friday and dropped it at Fabcoat.I was shi**ing bricks with it in the car and drove all the way at about 60 k's.

It still has the made in Western Germany stickers on it. Amazing after all this time.

I arranged with Andy to deliver the rear screen to him on Saturday morning,so that when the windscreen guy turns up on either Monday or Tuesday,everything that he requires is available to him.

Hopefully the front screen trim will be available from the  powder coaters on Tuesday,so that it can be fitted before the car leaves for Hartech later in the week?

Engine bay shot I took on Saturday.

Engine Bay.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

The front and rear glass screens are now in the car and a lot of the cabin trim has been installed too. Sadly,a bit of a lack of care at the powder coaters saw the front screen surround trim bent and Craig,the screen guy,had to spend some time sorting that out. Disappointing,given they've done such good work to date. The front hood interior locks have both been plated and the yellow looks pretty cool fitted against the white if I may say so myself.

I was going to organise transport to the mechanics tomorrow via Bob the Towie,but Andy has checked the weather and said quote " no car's ever left here on a truck in the rain and it won't be starting now" so Monday is the day.

The plan now is for the engine to be fitted,so that the new oil lines can be installed. Hopefully that will happen quickly?  Hope it fits in that little hole.

Front glass in.JPG

Rear View with glass.JPG

Side view.JPG

Turn lights in.JPG

Porsche 914I.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

We got stuck into the fitting of the firewall heat shield yesterday and it came up a treat.We used the Landbo Product from BURG Design in Moorabbin. Ray,the Director is a Porsche guy and a PCV Member as well,so good to support the guy's that support us with their parts.

Max fitted the  914/6  "tin" surround and it required some modification for the 964 engine,plus a lot of new tin that Max will produce himself. New upper and lower rubber surround shroud seals are on their way from Auto Atlanta.

I thought i'd include a photo of the fitted heat shield.

Heat Shield.JPG

Max has been busy making the extra "engine tin" that we need around the 3.6 and has sent me over some photos,so here we are.

Max made engine tin 3.jpg

Max made engine tin.jpg

Max made engine tin1.jpg

I forgot to mention that the upper and lower engine bay shroud rubbers are on their way from Auto Atlanta and that a Billet Aluminium Tapered Crankshaft Pulley is in the process of being ordered from Patrick Motorsports. The original 3.6 crankshaft pulley is too wide for the 914/6 "tin" to fit properly and we're not running air conditioning.

I thought I should add the contact details for Max in case anyone restoring a car is looking for one of the best in his field,especially Porsche.

It's VINTIQUE MOTO.        Bespoke Automotive Restoration & Metal Fabrication. 13 Chandos Street Cheltenham  3192. Max Hayes- 0415769009.

info@ vintiquemoto.com.au

• 3 weeks later...

I might be getting a bit ahead of myself posting this,but the engine is in,WITH the tinware attached and with the new rubber seals as well (when they turn up???)  it'll be close to a perfect fit.

Good feeling when you know you have guys involved,that really do know their stuff!  Thanks again MAX.

nice fit 1.JPG

Nice fit 2.JPG

Nice fit 3.JPG

I'm happy to report that Adrian has been onto it and that we now have power to four corners of the car,to lights,indicators,dash etc. The headlight motors have been installed and the lights operate just like they should.

We're awaiting an answer back from Hayden at WEVO, regarding the reversing light operation. Seems that some kits came with the option and some didn't? Fortunately,we have one that did,however the factory switch does not fit!

The stuff like this that you learn along the way is good,but sadly I'll only use it once!

Reverse light hole.JPG

Reverse light 2.JPG

headlight 1.JPG

headlight 2.JPG

Latest update as of today is that the Engine to Chassis Wire Harness Adaptor,the Engine Conversion Harness,the Clutch Cable Pulley Adaptor Kit and the 914 Accelerator Throttle Cable Conversion Kit are leaving Patrick Motorsports in Arizona.

Once they're here,we should be on our way big time? (why do I continually make these dumb statements)???

I also found a terrific new site for pre-owned parts and it's Retro Automotive Products in the US. I got a fuel tank strap support that I didn't know existed,a real nice door escutcheon,another jack strap,two thresh hold strips,two carpet trim strips and a Genuine Bilstein Jack,so pretty happy about all that. I've had those sent to my Mate in Florida and he'll bring them back when he's allowed to travel again?

I've decided to go see Mathew at Wheel Solutions in Richmond,to see if they can closely replicate the RSR style wheels from the 70's. The real deal update is available from Depulu in Q'land at about $500.00 per wheel,so I guess that's the option if the paint thing doesn't stack up.

The rear wheel below is a Genuine 10" RSR and mine are a 9" and 7" from 930 Turbo. 

RSR style.JPG

Edited by Ken
Forgot to include yesterday.

There's this amazing paint available only at Auto Barn and I think it's called VHT Hood, Bumper & Trim Paint. It's bringing the plastic trim such as those near the headlights,the headlight surrounds and the heater box and fan up to look like new as evidenced. 

Heater box repainted.JPG

Heater Box Painted.JPG

Housing & Filter.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

The parts from Patrick Motorsports have arrived, as did the main engine compartment rubber seal from Auto Atlanta,so no holdups now I hope.

This may interest some,as over the weekend a mate gave me a loan of Porsche Classic Originale #5 and in there I discovered that you can buy from PCM, a new service record book. As there are no books with my car,I intend to start one now. Part # WKD43152010.

As the inspection door in the firewall has been temporarily removed,I took a couple of shots yesterday and must say that I am happy Max made it bigger than first thought.

Firewall access.JPG

Firewall access 2.JPG